Rekia Boyd and Meghan Hockaday Black women and Police Burtality

Raava

Staff member
Daps
http://countercurrentnews.com/2015/01/media-blackout-when-unarmed-african-american-women/

The mainstream, corporate media has overlooked a number of very important cases of police shooting unarmed civilians. Whether coincidence or not, it would seem that many of them have something very obvious in common: they are all African American women.
One of the most egregious offenses is that of Officer Joseph Weekley’s fatal shooting of 7-year-old Aiyana Stanley-Jones, but to date, this case, like the others we will discuss here, have received virtually no mainstream media attention.

On April 20th the cop that kill Rekia Boyd had his charges set aside despite saying this

Porter, the Cook County judge presiding over the case, agreed that Servin was acting intentionally when he fired his gun. In fact, he said in his ruling, Illinois courts have long held that when a defendant “intends to fire a gun, points it in the general direction of his or her intended victim, and shoots, such conduct is not merely reckless,” but “intentional” and “the crime, if any there be, is first degree murder.”

Here are some of the threads already on this subject.

http://www.thecoli.com/threads/black-woman-megan-hockaday-shot-and-killed-by-oxnard-police.306644/

http://www.thecoli.com/threads/chic...rmed-rekia-boyd-in-off-duty-encounter.311768/

http://www.thecoli.com/threads/no-one-showed-up-to-rally-for-rieka-boyd.313342/

We are in a serious time for black period I think it's important.

What are your thoughts on #blackwomenslivesmatter? I commented in other threads but I wanted to put it here because I am interested in your opinions as this is the "women's section." Is there an epidemic? I was told in another thread there was no proof that Rekia's case didn't get covered because just because this is a black woman. Is this true? Are we leaving our women behind in this struggle? I am still having a hard time finding anything on Meagan hockaday I found some I'll update the other thread later.

Daps
Reppin
VOID
This is why people say #BLACKLIVESMATTER

But really...it's lopsided because the focus seems to be on black men killed by police and not the black women who have which is troubling and represents a problem within itself. Sure...our lives seem not to matter...but it seems the lives of black women seem to matter less in a world fueld by both sexism and racism.

It paints a very disturbing picture. why should double standards persist in a situation where both genders are treated as less than human?

CinnaSlim

Queen of Swords
Daps
Reppin
East of Anywhere
We basically need a women's circle. We all have heard of these women's stories but the support doesn't get picked up by the masses and we can't expect them to be. We already know our struggles as black women and where we stand. We need to do what we can and support eachother.

Men need to realize the issues that black women face and not argue over semantics like "privileges" and "womenism/feminism". Every distinction isn't proof of seperation. Things aren't as simple as the dichotomies like black and white, us vs them, men vs women.

So if women point out that men are doing something problematic or benefiting from some privilege, it doesn't mean that we are attacking men. Instead it is a criticism that can be resolved with the help of both sides.

bcrusaderw

Banned
Supporter
Daps
We basically need a women's circle. We all have heard of these women's stories but the support doesn't get picked up by the masses and we can't expect them to be. We already know our struggles as black women and where we stand. We need to do what we can and support eachother.

Men need to realize the issues that black women face and not argue over semantics like "privileges" and "womenism/feminism". Every distinction isn't proof of seperation. Things aren't as simple as the dichotomies like black and white, us vs them, men vs women.

So if women point out that men are doing something problematic or benefiting from some privilege, it doesn't mean that we are attacking men. Instead it is a criticism that can be resolved with the help of both sides.
Privileged groups are usually pretty reluctant to give up their privilege.

Raava

Staff member
Daps
This is why people say #BLACKLIVESMATTER

But really...it's lopsided because the focus seems to be on black men killed by police and not the black women who have which is troubling and represents a problem within itself. Sure...our lives seem not to matter...but it seems the lives of black women seem to matter less in a world fueld by both sexism and racism.

It paints a very disturbing picture. why should double standards persist in a situation where both genders are treated as less than human?

I find when it comes to issues like this, some men, at least on the internet act like their oppressors. Denial, blame, finger pointing, marginalization, and deflection. I find it very ironic and sadly amusing.

Like @CinnaSlim said, any conversation turns into battle of the sexes and who has it easier. I feel people in general get defensive when a negative behavior is brought up. They take it as being attacked vs. just trying to address an issue. They try to distance themselves vs. looking for a solution.

Black women have always been the support. We have been the support for everybody. Our men, our children, their men, them, their children. It is expected of us to give, and give then get nothing in return without complaint. We are expected to be there and when we try to do something for ourselves it is taken as betryal. Without unity we are nothing. Our men need us, and we need them. But nothing can be accomplished until the problem is acknowleged .

bcrusaderw

Banned
Supporter
Daps
@Raedawn07 I completely agree. A lot of times black males sound like white supremacists do when they talk about black women. If you were to switch sex with race in their statements, and spew it back to them they would flip. It's sad actually. They claim that we are a matriarchal society, but most of the positions of power in our community are filled by black males.

Daps
Reppin
flowerpots
I was at my first rally last night
it totally flipped the script of how I see other races and how I feel about activism
so many non blacks, so many black women, so many black men, so many gays of all races :mjcry:
seeing those black women lead a group through traffic with their megaphones, and sit right down in a middle of an intersection to tell everyone listening why we are there :mjcry:
seeing a girl in a hijab and a leather jacket screaming about justice for Rekia :mjcry:
I wish there was a way to utilize the power and passion of these protesters to actually change shyt, it's crazy to be there and see how BAD people want change and know that they're being dismissed at obnoxious protesters :to: