Religion, Race, and Rebellion

Hoodoo Child

The Urban Legend
Daps
Reppin
The Crossroads
I wasn't raised in a Christian household but my family is very spiritual and more so practiced a mixed of things - both sides - but they did use the Bible and "spirit" as well. They used/use a version of ATR and the Bible together.

I know I preach this a lot on here - but you have to do your tree to find out what your ancestors were practicing and their spiritual beliefs - it's a great way to come full circle. It also pushes you through your own spiritual journey - so you will get clear on your beliefs and such.

For instance, I knew my maternal Great Grannies were midwives - but I also knew they did some other stuff - like many Blacks from Alabama and the South in general do. When I went to Alabama last year for genealogy research I found out that one of them was interviewed for: Hoodoo Conjuration WItchcraft & Rootwork : Harry Middleton Hyatt : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive -- that was :unsure:

Many Blacks from the South incorporated spiritual beliefs or remnants of ATR with the Bible/Christianity - and they still do.

For instance, Pastor C.H. Mason:
tumblr_o52b36chL51t3ggw3o1_1280.jpg

Mason was born the son of former slaves Jerry and Eliza Mason in Shelby County, Tennessee. He used "Hoodoo" and used magical sticks and items to heal and pray.​
:wow:

Losttribe

[Formerly Blackking]
Daps
Excellent topic.

I admit im not as well educated on this topic as u guys are (and im still learning about it), and im confused myself on what to beleive. I do beleive in a God/higher being, bad and evil spirits, and have experienced the good bad and ugly of religion as well. However it just never sat well with me how religion has been forced on and used to oppress people. I guess thats where im at in the cross roads. On one hand, the Bible was rewritten plenty times and used to justify slavery and oppression. The other hand Islam was forced on a lot of Africans and the Arabs had plenty of slaves themselves. Then the African spiritualities I just personally had bad experiences with.

Im not a big fan of African spirituality either, having bad experiences with it in the past.

At this point to avoid any labels and since Im still somewhat confused (?) on what to beleive I just say I beleive in a God . But @Diasporan Royalty brought up a good point in how its used. American christianity in my opinion isnt meant for black people and if it is , it hasnt been used correctly especially given its history. I grew up in a Catholic home and im totally turned off from it.

Good thread @Poitier
Islam wasnt forced on africans. And the arab slave trade was

after the spread of islam, not a part of the spread of islam

Losttribe

[Formerly Blackking]
Daps
In my research "spirituality" more than "religion"
how is there any difference with black people?..... most so called Spiritual systems around the world and in history have the makings of religion (practices, belief in higher powers, ideas about life and death)

Losttribe

[Formerly Blackking]
Daps
maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

The Citadelle Laferrière or, Citadelle Henry Christophe, or simply the Citadelle (English: Citadel), is a large mountaintop fortress in Nord, Haiti, located on top of the mountain Bonnet a L’Eveque,[1] approximately 27 kilometres (17 mi) south of the city of Cap-Haïtien, 15 kilometres (9.3 mi) southwest of the Three Bays Protected Area, and 8 kilometres (5.0 mi) uphill from the town of Milot.

The massive stone structure was built by up to 20,000 workers between 1805 and 1820 as part of a system of fortifications designed to keep the newly independent nation of Haiti safe from French incursions. The Citadel was built several kilometres inland, and atop the 900 metres (3,000 ft) Bonnet a L’Eveque mountain, to deter attacks and to provide a lookout into the nearby valleys. Cap-Haïtien and the adjoining Atlantic Ocean are visible from the roof of the fortress. Anecdotally, it is possible to sight the eastern coast of Cuba, some 140 kilometres (87 mi) to the west, on clear days.

The Haitians outfitted the fortress with 365 cannons of varying size. These were obtained from various nations, and still bear the crests of 18th Century monarchs. Enormous stockpiles of cannonballs still sit in pyramidal stacks at the base of the fortress walls.
in that story and movie.. about the count of monte cristo...

that prison was the Citadelle... So I guess it makes since that Napoleon was a part of that story and that it was really based on a black man.

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
how is there any difference with black people?..... most so called Spiritual systems around the world and in history have the makings of religion (practices, belief in higher powers, ideas about life and death)

Religion: a particular system of faith and worship.

One is a practice -- or an act of doing rituals with no real connection to them. Like someone who goes to Church every Sunday -- and say they are this or that -- and they are "Holy Rollers" -- but their really not. They still engage in all the things they claim or condemn others for.

Spirituality: the quality of being concerned with the human spirit or soul as opposed to material or physical things.

Spirituality - can and does include rituals or possibly some sort of system of faith and worship - but one doesn't have to go to Church, be baptized, in a organized religion/faith -- or "give their life to God" and become "saved" -- in order to have a relationship ---and be connected with the Most High.

It's an innate feeling and connection with oneself, ones's ancestors, nature and/or the Most High. It's intuition, inner feelings and discernment.

Last edited: