Returnal (PS5/PC) (April 30th, Housemarque) - OT

Rain

đź‘€
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Did they ever improve the performance of this on the PS5? I haven't revisited since finishing it but seeing this running at 100+ FPS on PC got me kinda annoyed because it shouldn't be that large of a disparity :francis:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Did they ever improve the performance of this on the PS5? I haven't revisited since finishing it but seeing this running at 100+ FPS on PC got me kinda annoyed because it shouldn't be that large of a disparity :francis:

It was mostly a smooth 60 for me. The boss battles got intense sometimes which caused some drops but nothing terrible

Dorian Breh

Veteran
Daps
usually I have no problem admitting a game is too hard for me and bailing on it but this game was so beautiful and well-designed that it pisses me off that I couldn’t get to finish it…still holding out foolish hope that they add some option(s) that allows you to play the game at a less difficult pace…maybe lesser enemies and/or lower the damage required to take bosses down…something :sadcam:

I do think they should work on the progression/rogue elements with their next game if not just drop it altogether. The thing with HM is they are just so rooted in that ultra difficult arcade-like mentality its hard to see them pivot from it.

I like how in 'Control' there was an assist mode that made you invincible and had snap aiming, they should have had something like that in Returnal because this game reminds me a lot of that one

Justise M

Superstar
Daps
Finally beat the first boss and make it to the next level! :blessed:

Was doing pretty good, thinking if I die now fine at least i made good progress..

Tell me why I'm back at the ship :unimpressed:

If the gameplay wasn't so fun and addicting I would have Uninstalled right after that

ChatGPT-5

Superstar
Daps
Finally beat the first boss and make it to the next level! :blessed:

Was doing pretty good, thinking if I die now fine at least i made good progress..

Tell me why I'm back at the ship :unimpressed:

If the gameplay wasn't so fun and addicting I would have Uninstalled right after that
this.

except i actually uninstalled that bullshyt.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Couldn’t fukking stand it.

Starting over upon death was infuriating.

Do they have an actual ability to save progress now?

You can quit and save, yeah.

Started playing this about a week ago.

Surprised it was so polarising I'm loving it

Only because it was difficult, it got an 86 on MC and won the BAFTA game of the year.

I think they should continue working on the formula and perfecting it like Fromsoft has, people are fanatics over this game, they need some kind of training wheels for new players though like Elden Ring had ashes

Woodrow

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Couldn’t fukking stand it.

Starting over upon death was infuriating.

Do they have an actual ability to save progress now?

i never understood this complaint (not saying it isn't valid, just saying). the starting over at death didn't feel drastically different from games like hades or dead cells imo. i also feel like when you get familiar with weapons that work for your playstyle, and unlock permanent upgrades, selene does not die easy.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
i never understood this complaint (not saying it isn't valid, just saying). the starting over at death didn't feel drastically different from games like hades or dead cells imo. i also feel like when you get familiar with weapons that work for your playstyle, and unlock permanent upgrades, selene does not die easy.
That's exactly what it is since it's a roguelike. Some gamers just aren't a fan of that style. I loved it tho. Been meaning to hop back in and check out the free dlc.

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps

Thats a product of the genre.

Personally I think its a lazy dogshyt game design choice that a handful of games in the genre have such compelling gameplay they can get away it. This, and dead cells are the only two I can stomach