Revisiting "Red Tails": I think we unfairly judged it...

YBE

Banned
Daps
Just finished watching it...that shyt was good. Critics slammed the film, I was expecting some hot garbage but I actually ended up being invested with most of the characters (mostly Junior & Lightning). Not Saving Private Ryan or anything but, I definitely enjoyed seeing my people on screen. A positive portrayal of our contributions to the war. Felt like I got a glimpse into how the war was for my grandfather & my great uncles.

Junior was that dude....Smokey & Easy too :salute:

Lightning was the realest nikka there...he just kept taking too many chances :sadcam: and his bytch :noah:

I was legit :sadbron: when Deacon was tryna land his plane...he aint deserve to go out that way...

Imma go cop the DVD tomorrow...

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
tristan wilde should never ever be cast in a movie again, [taylor swift]like ever[/taylor swift]

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
the acting. The only dude who was solid was Nate Parker, but he wasnt great either. Cuba Gooding, Brian Cranston (damn he was in A LOT of movies this year) and Terrence Howard were overacting like a muthafukka, while the others looked like kids trying to be adults.

that Italian love affair. The movie did a bad job at telling us what they accomplished and seemed to care more about that Italian girl and dude's drinking problem.

The story just sucked.

It also felt cheaply made.

I wanted to like this movie, but I couldnt.

THEREALBRAND

Eterno Menino
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Eu Sou O Segundo
I liked it when I saw it in theaters, but I'm not a harsh critic.

If a movie keeps me relatively entertained I'm happy :yeshrug:

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
this felt like a straight to tv movie...but the REAL straight to tv movie The Tuskegee Airmen did a WAY better job...WAY better...
it came on TV One a few months ago. That felt more adult than this one.

Cuba Gooding Jr was in that one too.

tr2k

All Star
Daps
The movie should of been made by someone else. It felt like watching a flight simulator with black actors attached to it. That star wars vibe wasnt a good fit neither. It made it seem less gritty.

YBE

Banned
Daps
IMO, I feel that since there's so few films that portray African Americans (in positive light) or include entire black casts, the ones that do actually come out end up carrying a huge burden. Since there's so few, we criticize it more harshly. Studio execs, who're already set in their thinking, are just waiting to say "I told you so" after it bombs and close the door forever and black viewers are overly critical of every aspect, when they just went to go watch Expendables last week :beli: Basically, every black film has to be The Godfather or its garbage. White films dont have to deal with that bullshyt. Every film they greenlight doesn't have the future of (white) filmmaking hinging on its success. Some films are allowed to just be simply good; popcorn flicks. You can have your films like The Social Network, Inception or There Will Be Blood....then you have your films like Immortals or Tron: Legacy. Just good. I won't even touch the movies that are blatantly fukking retarded ass ideas but get greenlit by studios without any hesitation :whoa:

bucky-larson-wallpaper_102849-1400x1050.jpg

The%2BBeaver.jpg

The fact that either of these were made is just :snoop:

There's been like 100,000 films made & out of those we can only name 100 or so bonafide classics. There's probably less than 500 black movies. See the difference :skip: If we actually supported the movies that came out, eventually one of them would end up being a film classic. I wish I did support Red Tails but, I let everyone convince me into it being garbage. It was actually good. Not classic :wow: Just good :manny: I liked it. Imma buy the DVD. I should've knew better....critics panned "Miracle at St. Anna" too :mjpls: That shyt ended up being one of my favorites.

tr2k

All Star
Daps
Well we got a Pluto Nash and Meet Dave but the problem with non majority white movies is that the race of the actors will be noted first before anything else. Majority white movies aint like that. They are seen as regular movies because its the norm. Its like having hand drawn animated movies instead of CGI/3D animated movies. The animated ones got more to prove

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
I liked Think Like a Man a lot, so this "we want perfection" stuff is completely off base. The movie is wack, especially since it was about a very important historical event and people. I felt Lucas and co didn't give the actual story of the Tuskegee Airmen that much of a serious thought.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The fukk you mean "We"? I liked that shyt.

It's not Oscar worthy or one of the best films of the year, but it was an enjoyable film to see in theaters.

People were OVERLY critical of it for multiple reasons (predominantly black cast, George Lucas and his comments)

YBE

Banned
Daps
The fukk you mean "We"? I liked that shyt.

It's not Oscar worthy or one of the best films of the year, but it was an enjoyable film to see in theaters.

People were OVERLY critical of it for multiple reasons (predominantly black cast, George Lucas and his comments)

I dont know if the Coli was up then, maybe it was back at :hamster: There was a thread completely trashing it, callin it hot garbage. When someone says something is garbage, my mind goes to films like Gigli, The Spirit & Freddy Got Fingered. Not Red Tails.