Rise of Kenyan silicon Savannah.

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
There need to be African-Americans investing in seed accelerators in Kenya, Ghana, Nigeria, South Africa, and really any Maghrebi regions (I daresay Sudan and South Sudan as well, really every country on the continent).
These tech hubs need to be given the funding and the time of day, so they don't get bought out, or overrun.
I would love to throw in time, and small funding into a project like that.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
There need to be African-Americans investing in seed accelerators in Kenya, Ghana, Nigeria, South Africa, and really any Maghrebi regions (I daresay Sudan and South Sudan as well, really every country on the continent).
These tech hubs need to be given the funding and the time of day, so they don't get bought out, or overrun.

Black people need to travel to africa. The two barriers are usually people simply have no desire or its much cheaper to go literally anywhere else on earth than Africa (other than Australia).

My goal is to visit one African country every yr at a min. Im starting this year with South africa

Daps
Reppin
Stoic disciples
The dopest article I read all month, maybe all year.

Is anyone knowledgeable with african mobile money services? I wonder if they'll adopt bitcoin
Bitcoin mobile services are provided in Kenya. An example company is called BitPesa. (Pesa is swahili for money)

BitPesa

Buy and sell bitcoins in Kenya, with cash and online
98789898.PNG

9878987876.PNG

Frangala

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Le Grand Congo (Kin)
Black people need to travel to africa. The two barriers are usually people simply have no desire or its much cheaper to go literally anywhere else on earth than Africa (other than Australia).

My goal is to visit one African country every yr at a min. Im starting this year with South africa

Even flying within some places in Africa is expensive. My theory is that lack of desire leads to higher prices. Due to lack of international flights to and from African cities leads airlines to earn great revenues by increasing price because there is no volume (# of international flights per day). Sadly, there aren't enough reputable African airline carriers.

Africa is the last frontier economically. There is no more significant GDP growth in the developed countries any more (Europe and North America). Most of the world's new wealth is being created in emerging markets Africa and Asia. In 15 years, half of the world's multi-millionaires will be in Africa or Asia according to McKinsey & Company. If you are Black and not motivated by a sense of Pan-Africanism, at least do it for economic reasons. In addition, especially if you are educated in America, you bring forth a valuable skill set that is not existent in these places because Western education and way of doing things is very much valued in these places.

Last edited:

qwasi

Rhinestone Cowboy
Daps
Most discussions of the origins of Africa’s tech movement circle back to Kenya. From 2007 through 2010 a combination of circumstance, coincidence, and visionary individuals laid down four markers inspiring the country’s Silicon Savannah moniker:

Kenyan Excellence. :banderas: With some political stability (less focus on tribalism) we can position ourselves to catch up to Nigeria or become their economic equivalent in East and Central Africa. The only issue that might arise is if this is a venture being sponsored/owned and controlled by foreigners (Indians in particular).

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY

:ohhh: wtf is a seed accelerator?!?

Frangala

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Le Grand Congo (Kin)
Kenya been already doing it big and Nigeria slowly waking up, xucherberg just dumped 42 million into a Nigerian tech start up last year.
Nigeria's Eko Atlantic City is going to be lit too: Image Gallery - Eko Atlantic

Another "white elephant" project that is not going to help the economy and the overwhelming vast majority of the population in addition this Eko Atlantic project will displace poor people. Nigeria can't even get the basic such as electricity right there is no way in hell they are going to pull this off. In addition if this is created, the rent is about to be ridiculously high in a country where you have to pay rent a year in advance to move in.

At least with all the tech projects in Kenya the vast majority of the population benefits whether it be consumers or creation of employment.

QuintessentialMan

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Another "white elephant" project that is not going to help the economy and the overwhelming vast majority of the population in addition this Eko Atlantic project will displace poor people. Nigeria can't even get the basic such as electricity right there is no way in hell they are going to pull this off. In addition if this is created, the rent is about to be ridiculously high in a country where you have to pay rent a year in advance to move in.

At least with all the tech projects in Kenya the vast majority of the population benefits whether it be consumers or creation of employment.

This particular project utilizes reclaimed Ocean land so no need to displace anybody, although that does happen quite frequently with other projects.

All the big boys have indicated interest. Every single bank wants a head office there. The amount of jobs that will be created will certainly help the national economy, granted 70% of the people working there will not be able to live there because of sky high rents. it will be full of expats most likely but thats ok to begin with.

If they manage to pull it off within the next decade that would be impressive all by itself given the poor leadership record,but the progress thus far has been substantial, I was out there last week. Its happening.

Frangala

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Le Grand Congo (Kin)
This particular project utilizes reclaimed Ocean land so no need to displace anybody, although that does happen quite frequently with other projects.

All the big boys have indicated interest. Every single bank wants a head office there. The amount of jobs that will be created will certainly help the national economy, granted 70% of the people working there will not be able to live there because of sky high rents. it will be full of expats most likely but thats ok to begin with.

If they manage to pull it off within the next decade that would be impressive all by itself given the poor leadership record,but the progress thus far has been substantial, I was out there last week. Its happening.

Ok cool. So are you permanently based in Lagos? How is the electricity problem? How is the traffic? I worked there a couple of years ago haven't been back.

My thing is that I just don't have confidence anymore in not just Nigeria but African countries anymore when it comes to these grandiose projects, they always leave me disappointed at the end. East Africa in general are getting things right in terms of finding projects that are bankable and have social impacts (those are the lowest hanging fruits) then develop into grandiose projects.

Kenya is about to be a leader in renewable off-grid energy (electricity) that's why I have TONS of respect for that country. It seems like they are starting to get it. Every project such renewable energy or mobile banking has served some type of everyday purpose.