Rob Liefeld and the horrible comic era of the 90s :russ:

Fury616

www.illdust.com
Daps
Reppin
( o Y o )
I thought the general consensus was that comics was trash in the 90s(aside from a few series) it seems like that from everyone I talk to in person and every comic book clerk/owner I talk to.

You talk to a bunch of fukking idiots then that don't know shyt then. The 90s was the artists era and the birth of Image Comics which opened the gates for other publishers cuz DC and Marvel had a monopoly on this shyt. Todd McFarlane made Spider-Man popular again and Jim Lee broke records rebooting the X-Men. Also the problem wasn't wit Rob Liefeld but the hundreds of clones that publishers demanded draw like him cuz his shyt was selling like crazy.

Oh yea the comic book industry as a whole became popular itself in the 90s because of these guys alone. Nobody gave a fukk about ComicCon in the 90s but as soon as these dudes started appearing on the news and shyt it got wild attention.

Knightfall - Batman back is broken by Bane
Death of Superman
Frank Miller killing it wit Sin City

Yea it was also the covers gimmick and anti-hero era but there was plenty of piff in the 90s breh.

GoddamnyamanProf

Countdown to Armageddon
Daps
I thought the general consensus was that comics was trash in the 90s(aside from a few series) it seems like that from everyone I talk to in person and every comic book clerk/owner I talk to. Yeah there was the cool cartoon series on fox but what about all the gimmick covers, all the comic book characters that crept up for a mini series, the clone sagas, the botched storylines. The tacky art, the crude drawings, I seen. My action comics dudes was telling me about the spectator market and when marvel went bankrupt. They killed the trade paperback market with gimmick covers.

Every thrift store/swapmeet/comic book store I go to is filled with trash and alot of that is comics from the 90s that didn't stand the test of time. Alot of shyt didn't make it out the 90s and thats for a reason.

I notice on the internet and the-coli now th
at nothing of the 90s should be mentioned in a negative light I guess, nostalgia maybe :manny:
You are correct. Liefeld is commly accepted as the WOAT and still gets randomly shytted on by nerds to this day, just as its commonly accepted that cartoony NBA logo uniforms in the 90's were the worst ever. The Coli loves both.

Scotch Hall

All Star
Daps
Reppin
#TSC and surgical shoes
You talk to a bunch of fukking idiots then that don't know shyt then. The 90s was the artists era and the birth of Image Comics which opened the gates for other publishers cuz DC and Marvel had a monopoly on this shyt. Todd McFarlane made Spider-Man popular again and Jim Lee broke records rebooting the X-Men. Also the problem wasn't wit Rob Liefeld but the hundreds of clones that publishers demanded draw like him cuz his shyt was selling like crazy.

Oh yea the comic book industry as a whole became popular itself in the 90s because of these guys alone. Nobody gave a fukk about ComicCon in the 90s but as soon as these dudes started appearing on the news and shyt it got wild attention.

Death of Superman

There was plenty of piff in the 90s breh.
They aren't idiots man and I didn't say everything was bad. yeah image had some good comics I mentioned them in the aside from a few series part and the artist revolution was cool. Yeah frank miller killed it with sin city. With the death of superman that led to alot of gimmicks and reboots . Two sides on that. Knightfall, and yeah his clones also helped fukk up the game I'll agree with you on that.

point me out to some piff breh :ehh:

Arabial Knight

Rolo Tomassi
Daps
Reppin
The San Fernando Valley
90's were the fukking dark ages. Anybody that disagrees has very selective memory.

The Clone Saga and that Onslaught storyline in X-Men
MygUUyW.png

Fury616

www.illdust.com
Daps
Reppin
( o Y o )
They aren't idiots man and I didn't say everything was bad. yeah image had some good comics I mentioned them in the aside from a few series part and the artist revolution was cool. Yeah frank miller killed it with sin city. With the death of superman that led to alot of gimmicks and reboots . Two sides on that. Knightfall, and yeah his clones also helped fukk up the game I'll agree with you on that.

point me out to some piff breh :ehh:

my bad...I just get a little animated when I hear dudes trashing the 90s like it was the WOAT when the 90s era revolutionized comics for creators and everyone involved. I was a part of that era, watched it grow and stood in line for those comics as a kid. Hoping that one day I could be a millionaire in my 20s like Rob Liefeld doing what I loved to do. His art may have been suspect but only a few see the big picture. Sam Keith art was hilarious too but you rarely hear people trashing his work.

Anyway, Valiant comics dropped heat...XO Man o' War, Harbinger, Bloodshot. Turok was the shyt. Milestone comics was slept on wit Hardware, Static and Blood Syndicate. Vertigo of course was breaking out wit The Sandman and Death: High Cost of Living. Mike Mignola became a superstar wit Hellboy and Garth Ennis did the same wit Preacher. Oh yea...Wizard magazine was born.

Anybody saying the 90s was garbage don't know much about comics.

Arabial Knight

Rolo Tomassi
Daps
Reppin
The San Fernando Valley
my bad...I just get a little animated when I hear dudes trashing the 90s like it was the WOAT when the 90s era revolutionized comics for creators and everyone involved. I was a part of that era, watched it grow and stood in line for thoseri comics as a kid. Hoping that one day I could be a millionaire in my 20s like Rob Liefeld doing what I loved to do. His art may have been suspect but only a few see the big picture. Sam Keith art was hilarious too but you rarely hear people trashing his work.

Anyway, Valiant comics dropped heat...XO Man o' War, Harbinger, Bloodshot. Turok was the shyt. Milestone comics was slept on wit Hardware, Static and Blood Syndicate. Vertigo of course was breaking out wit The Sandman and Death: High Cost of Living. Mike Mignola became a superstar wit Hellboy and Garth Ennis did the same wit Preacher. Oh yea...Wizard magazine was born.

Anybody saying the 90s was garbage don't know much about comics.

DC and Marvel were pure trash. You're right about the indie shyt tho.

Yuzo

No nice guys in boxing
Daps

Death of Superman

Yea it was also the covers gimmick and anti-hero era but there was plenty of piff in the 90s breh.
it was the era that comics had its own identity. its lost that now, with comic artists coming from art schools not knowing anything about the essence of comics, drawing in a more realistic looking and ultimately more boring style. back then comics had a look. anime has its own look, with the glamorized hair and large eyes among the other things. it stayed true to itself. to what it is. comics has lost its look. its lost what it is. the 90's was the peak of that essence. i would trade this era with the 90's era in a heartbeat.

Fury616

www.illdust.com
Daps
Reppin
( o Y o )
DC and Marvel were pure trash. You're right about the indie shyt tho.

Yea no doubt...they were struggling. That era did have some of the worst storylines/crossovers.
Which is why DC used gimmicks to kill off their top heroes for sells, Superman and Batman. And Marvel went bankrupt :mjlol:

Fury616

www.illdust.com
Daps
Reppin
( o Y o )
i thought he was dope...but the godfather todd mcfarlane reigns supreme
33vyavc.png

but sam keith:ohlawd:
2702441-cover.jpg

thats the shyt I'm talking about :russ: I loved his female drawings but damn man, his exaggerated characters kill me.
They all had supersized feet, huge humped backs and ridiculous muscles. Yet Rob Liefeld is the constant punching bag to this day.