Roku player cracked runs XBMC

newarkhiphop

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
The GTVHacker team that previously unlocked Google TV and Chromecast hasfound a way to run its commands as root on any Roku 2 or Roku 3 using the most recent software version (unfortunately, that does not at this time include Sky TV's cheap Now TV player, which runs on older software). While the player overall is credited as "considerably more secure than others in the entertainment field" (Samsung comes to mind but it's from from the only one) a development password field provided a way in.

Currently they've only achieved persistence on the Roku 2, which in this case means they can maintain control even after the box reboots by breaking the secure boot process and modifying the initial boot loader. Since Roku 2 runs on the same Broadcom chip used by the popular Raspberry Pi, team member CJ Heres expects to see ports for third-party home theater PC software like XBMC very quickly. The Roku 3 will be a bit trickier since it runs on different hardware, and right now it needs to have the command entered each time the box starts

http://www.engadget.com/2013/12/28/roku-2-roku-3-rooted/

@GoldenGlove @2gunsup

:blessed:

newarkhiphop

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
:ohhh::ohhh::ohhh::ohhh::ohhh::ohhh::ohhh::ohhh:

WHen's the hack coming out muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh?

Soon breh soon, I'll up the thread once it's done, if you feel comfortable now you can root if you have a roku 2 since the root is persistent, if you have the roku 3 I would wait til XBMC drops

newarkhiphop

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
So if I buy a Roku 2 I can get Xbmc?

not quite yet, its been rooted which is the hard part, so now all you have to do is wait til some ports over XBMC to the roku and from the looks of it that should be pretty easy and will happen in a couple of weeks at most

2gunsup

Satsui No Hado
Daps
Reppin
Popozudas
Rooted, now the wait for XBMC :noah:

wkNlPKu.png

StackBundles

Sohh Icey Blood Gang
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
I'm not savvy in this type of shyt but I've heard the Ouya can install Xbmc. Why not just get one ? It's only 100

NatiboyB

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I'm slow as shyt on stuff like this what will this allow me to do with my roku

Czerka

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
the roku is coming up. im starting to regret building my htpc. shoulda just gotten a roku and a steambox when it drops

newarkhiphop

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
the roku is coming up. im starting to regret building my htpc. shoulda just gotten a roku and a steambox when it drops

:yes: thats the reason am holding off on my htpc or server build at least to early summer, want to see what these steamboxes about to bring. Might knockout a gaming machine and htpc in one shot for me