Ruff Ryders vs Roc-A-Fella (Who had the strongest movement?)

Who had the strongest movement?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SouljaVoy

♥ Black Love
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta,GA
Back in the 90's both these teams had a strong movement..... :banderas:
I think sometimes people take the overall success of Jay-z as a solo artist and let it overshine Rocafella and that whole era as a whole.... But some would argue Double R had the stronger movement. Back when DMX was at his peak he was unstopable, then the Lox, and Eve...:whoo:
Ruff Ryders still got nikkas reppin chapters of it it till this day...... Roc-a-fella is pretty much dead. :dame:

So what yall think, and why? :patrice:

By the way this aint 100% bout what artist you think had the better skills :whoa:, this more about the movement as a whole. Who had the streets on lock? Who had the clubs on lock? who had the most respect back in the day? But conversation about who had better artist is welcomed. :blessed:

rocafella.jpg~c200

hqdefault.jpg

VS

d796b1d5-4de7-4973-8b85-05348e7a4f26_560_420.jpg

Last edited:

KravenMorehead™

Barrel Brothers.®
Daps
Reppin
NoVA
Ruff Ryders cause the lil nikkas didn't need X on every track

Jay kinda carried Roc-A-Fella

meaning Double R songs didn't need the leader on it to be a smash. Only roc nikka exception was beanie sigel and even with him...

EDIT: I might be buggin :patrice:them singles...

SouljaVoy

♥ Black Love
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta,GA

meaning Double R songs didn't need the leader on it to be a smash. Only roc nikka exception was beanie sigel and even with him...

I never thought about it like this, but you kinda right..... none of those roc-a-fella nikkas have classics without jay-z on them.
nikkas will get mad at this comment and post a Sigel or Freeway track without Jay-z, but I'm thinkin more from the perspective of the masses, not hardcore hiphop fans... Someone Name 1 Roc-a-fella artist song that still gets play in the clubs & radio mixes and is considered a classic joint that didn't include jay-z :usure:

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
I never thought about it like this, but you kinda right..... none of those roc-a-fella nikkas have classics without jay-z on them.
nikkas will get mad at this comment and post a Sigel or Freeway track without Jay-z, but I'm thinkin more from the perspective of the masses, not hardcore hiphop fans... Someone Name 1 Roc-a-fella artist song that still gets play in the clubs & radio mixes and is considered a classic joint that didn't include jay-z :usure:

I'm on the side of RR, but that's unfair to rocafella.

To answer your question specifically
1) Diplomats album ( tons of songs)
2) Kayne west college dropout.
:yeshrug:

SouljaVoy

♥ Black Love
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta,GA
Movement: Double R hands down

Music: Overall I'd give it to the Roc

Are you counting Jay-z singles? :usure:
Cause if you take Jay-z out the equation could the Roc hold it's own?

I'm on the side of RR, but that's unfair to rocafella.

To answer your question specifically
1) Diplomats album ( tons of songs)
2) Kayne west college dropout.
:yeshrug:

I think Diplomats/Dipset was more of a ran-off-on-the-plug-twice situation.... They just got down with Rocafella to get put on, but wasn't really reppin the Roc. :yeshrug:

But if we countin the Diplomat movement as apart of Roc-a-fella then thats a good argument. :jbhmm:

I will say back in the day you had young nikkas reppin Dipset like a gang :snoop::whoo:

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
in terms of a movement, ruff ryders at their peak was stronger.
ruff ryders from '98 thru 2000 was stronger.

rocafella had more longevity and had multiple movements within itself.

I don't know what happened with ruff ryders tho. its like the rappers just stopped reppin it like that, even tho they still had the logo on the back of the albums.

jay didn't carry rocafella. he hindered it by sabotaging his own artists left & right.
and half of the best cuts don't even have jay on there.
edit: that should answer your question as to whether or not the roc could hold its own without jay.

and there were no "lil nikkas" in ruff ryders. everybody that dropped, had a previous history except drag-on.

Last edited:

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps

these labels weren't aimed towards the masses. they were aimed towards hardcore hip-hop fans. yall are applying current sellout-rap reasoning towards rappers that weren't on that tip. THIS IS WHY THE CULTURE IS DEAD NOW.

only artists on these labels that were aimed towards the masses were jay-z, maybe Eve, and later Kanye who wasn't even that big with the rocafella crowd.

and rocafella had plenty of hits without jay-z. young gunz had like 4 hits. none with jay. you also had roc da mic, the remix, flipside, and other lil hits that may not be crossover enough for yall. and don't even get me started on the diplomats.

and yes, diplomats repped rocafella. they stopped yelling it in their songs after the chit with jay got out of hand, but they still repped for dame & biggs.

Last edited:

RAW_SPK

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
N.I.N.

this is partially correct kinda.

Movement: Double R hands down

Music: Overall I'd give it to the Roc

this in my opinion...even though roc-a-fella kinda spawned other movements too (dipset, state prop etc)