"Russell Westbrook is the James Harden of PGs, defensively." - Zach Lowe

labelplant

Wilt Chamberlain
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
I understand these are estimate percentages, but they're FAR from the case. Either you don't think too highly of Paul's defensive ability to begin with, or you haven't seen how often he doesn't show up on the defensive end - as much as he's capable of. CP can barely stay in front of his opposite anymore and like Westbrook has a tendency to ball watch. He struggles with getting around screens too.

This is from last season -

Is that you Zach Lowe? :mjpls:

They actually were mostly Paul's fault because he was caught ball watching far too often, leaving Lillard to stroll down the lane. He also didn't show enough effort to stay with Lillard, which is partly due to the fact he no longer has the lateral quickness he once had. The tape doesn't lie. If it weren't for the Clippers bigs, mainly DeAndre - Lillard would've made a ton more shots.

I'm not gonna lie I didn't watch a lot of NBA last season (2014-15). I prefer college basketball and with Towns, Okafor, Russell etc college was great last year. This year it has been horrible so I've watched more NBA than I have in many years.
Anyway Paul has certainly regressed as a man defender and in the first half of the year, outside big games he didn't really show up on that end. However his rotations are always a step a head, his angles and footwork are excellent. He is really tough and strong for his size. Unlike Westbrook his steals are (mostly) a product of smart play not risky gambles.
Lillard is being shut down because they kept trying to put him in pick n rolls and the clips are aggressively blitzing. This has been well publicized and Paul doesn't really deserve credit for it. Aminu is basically bricking open threes left and right so ya it's gonna be hard to score playing 4 on 5. Paul is still an excellent team defender who understands opposing offenses as well as anyone in the league and makes all the correct rotations. Any star, especially any star PG, takes plays off on D because it's just impossible to constantly run the offense and be all in defensively. But this is the case far more with Westbrook than with Paul. Just today I've seen Westbrook make horrible close outs, rotations 3-4 times. It's not even at halftime yet (I paused the game and went to get food)

Floyd Pinkerton

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
5678 jumps into passing lanes to much...only player I ever seen do it more is AI...

He is also horrendous in the pick and roll...a lot of times he treats it like some personal challenge and just tries to blast through it leaving the point guard to do whatever he wants...he never really goes over the pick or under the pick...

Plays defense in a one on one manner and doesn't seem to either care or grasp where other teammates are in relation to him...he will guard Chris...get switched off on the natural running of the play, and then randomly he is back on Chris while the other guy who got switched on Chris is still on him...happens way to much...

If you go back and look at their last playoff series with Swag Antonio...Parker got a ridiculous amount of shots by waiting for a pick...letting 5678 try to muscle through it, and then Parker would not even use it, he would just go the other way or eeven straight into the space 5678 vacated trying to slam his forearm into Tim Duncan forearm...

Breh called him 5678
MJ%20Martin_zpst45lta49.png

labelplant

Wilt Chamberlain
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Oh btw @Z-Bo's Deep Thoughts like i said I didn't watch a lot in 2014-15 at least until the playoffs but this year I've seen probably 30 clippers games. I live in L.A. so all their games are on TV. I've seen them more than any other team, I think I know Docs entire playbook :russ: Not that its such a huge feat :deadrose: (BTW Doc is still a great coach)

MoneyTron

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Dude was DPOY winner in college.

I don't think Westbrook's defense is bad for lack of effort.