Ruth Bader Ginsburg undergoes another round of cancer treatment

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Tried to tell people to vote in 2016. But no..."both sides". :francis:

Think about this. If Hillary had replaced Scalia, the court would lead left right now. I'm going to assume Kennedy would not have retired. RBG would no doubt retire under Hillary. So that's 2 seats at least.

Instead Trump is poised to get a third seat unless RBG can hold on. BTW I think if she dies during the lame duck session after a Trump loss...McConnell will ram through a quick SC pick. Just watch. So she gotta last until January 20th, 2021....

Wargames

One Of The Last Real Ones To Do It
Daps
Reppin
New York City
I’m telling ya’ll Trump and Mitch are toxic. If they get that seat Dems candidates are gonna outright run on “we are going to alter the courts” cause no body wants those Trumps stupidity to have a decade long affect.

DirtyD

Last Time That I Checc'd......
Daps
Reppin
Queens
Love to be a democratic party sycophant who blames voters for the right-leaning Supreme Court without holding any of the people who not only didn't prevent it from coming to fruition but in some instances actively helped usher it in.:hhh:

Biden also recently suggested that he owes an apology to Anita Hill for his handling, as chair of the Judiciary Committee, of her accusations of sexual harassment against Clarence Thomas. “Anita Hill was vilified when she came forward by a lot of my colleagues, character assassination. I wish I could’ve done more to prevent those questions and the way they asked them,” he said on the Today show last year. But Biden, as the Boston Globe’s Joan Vennochi noted, “also posed questions designed to humiliate her” during her testimony. By failing to call favorable witnesses or solicit affidavits from experts on sexual harassment, Biden was as responsible for Hill’s “character assassination” and Thomas’s place on the Supreme Court as anyone. “He did everything to make it be good for Thomas and to slant it against her,” Georgetown University law professor Susan Deller Ross observed to the Times in 2008.
Joe Biden’s Half-Baked Political Gimmicks

It's great that people are still blaming Bernie supporters and Susan Sarandon for Clinton losing the election and these Scotus picks instead of the idiotic campaign strategy of avoiding the middle of the country and the defunding of the largest voter registration organization in the country.

But Washington didn’t wait around for the facts to come out. On Sept. 14, 2009, the Democratic-controlled Senate voted 83 to 7 to block some federal grants to ACORN. Government funding typically accounted for 10 to 15 percent of ACORN’s annual funding. The group received $48.4 million from the federal government from 2005 to 2009 ― most of it, including a $25 million grant in 2008, for housing counseling and foreclosure mitigation.

ACORN registered more than 865,000 voters for the 2008 election. While other groups have tried to pick up the slack, there’s a reason Republicans haven’t selected a new organization to serve as the voter fraud boogeyman: nobody is doing the same caliber work on the same scale that ACORN did.

And while just about every possible explanation for Trump’s 77,744-vote margin of victory in Pennsylvania, Wisconsin and Michigan has been explored to death, almost nobody talks about the effect ACORN might have had in those states.
HuffPost is now a part of Oath

Also, the Democrats usual terrible political tactics don't really abscond them of the blame.

“We should have shut down the Senate,” Sen. Brian Schatz (D-Hawaii) said Tuesday. “We made a calculation that we were going to win the 2016 [presidential] election and confirm a nominee. And it didn’t work out.”

“Hindsight’s 20/20,” said Sen. Martin Heinrich (D-N.M.). “I think I would have liked us to take an even harder line.”

“There were options to pick someone that the base would have been mobilized to support because of who they were and what they represented for the court,” said Heidi Hess, a co-director of the progressive group Credo Action. “Garland felt like a pick to play chess with Republicans, and it didn’t work because they don’t play respectability and civility — ‘Obviously this man is qualified, so we’re not going to block him.’ That was never going to happen.”

HuffPost is now a part of Oath

Berniewood Hogan

IT'S BERNIE SANDERS WITH A STEEL CHAIR!
Daps
Reppin
nWg
It's not Hillary's fault a lot of young voters believed sitting out would usher in a revolution. They weren't wrong. It's just not the revolution they expected. :lolbron:
Yeah it's really funny how toothless liberalism allowed fascism to come back, I'm really loling over here too, friend.

Starman

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

NPR Choice page

I'm with RBG regarding court-packing. I do think it would have been politically wise for her to step down while Obama was president though. That would piss me off if I was a liberal. Either way, here's hoping she has a speedy recovery.

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
Think about this. If Hillary had replaced Scalia, the court would lead left right now. I'm going to assume Kennedy would not have retired. RBG would no doubt retire under Hillary. So that's 2 seats at least.

Instead Trump is poised to get a third seat unless RBG can hold on. BTW I think if she dies during the lame duck session after a Trump loss...McConnell will ram through a quick SC pick. Just watch. So she gotta last until January 20th, 2021....

If you don't win the Senate, it doesn't mean a damn thing. Hillary could have gotten those 80,000 votes in 3 states and she would have faced down a 52-48 or 51-49 GOP majority in the Senate. Mitch would have kept the SCOTUS at 4-4 to this day. You had Ted Cruz and John McCain in October 2016 saying they wouldn't let Hillary put someone on SCOTUS for her whole term.

How is she going to replace a SCOTUS judge then? How is she even going to get federal judicial nominations in? McConnell would still be the Senate Majority Leader.

Remember, the Dems had a 55 seat majority in the Senate in 2014. They lost that. Now we're almost 6 years on and if they don't get a majority after 2020, there's nothing they'll be able to do even if you do win the presidency.

Daps
Reppin
NYC
She should have fukking left when Obama is in office. There's no way she's making it to 2021.

Trump is reshaping the judicial system for the next 3-4 decades...long after he's buried and gone

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
If you don't win the Senate, it doesn't mean a damn thing. Hillary could have gotten those 80,000 votes in 3 states and she would have faced down a 52-48 or 51-49 GOP majority in the Senate. Mitch would have kept the SCOTUS at 4-4 to this day. You had Ted Cruz and John McCain in October 2016 saying they wouldn't let Hillary put someone on SCOTUS for her whole term.

How is she going to replace a SCOTUS judge then? How is she even going to get federal judicial nominations in? McConnell would still be the Senate Majority Leader.

Remember, the Dems had a 55 seat majority in the Senate in 2014. They lost that. Now we're almost 6 years on and if they don't get a majority after 2020, there's nothing they'll be able to do even if you do win the presidency.
This is an accurate view. Dems held the majority until 2015.

Republican gains have come due to gerrymandering (not the senate), voter suppression, and low turnout by young voters.

I believe there is a valid argument for candidates to attract younger voters. But I disagree with the idea that democrats most consistent voter block should be ignored in order to court those voters. That's not how a responsible democracy works and its only an issue for the left.