Ryan Newman crashes car at Daytona 500

VegetasHairline

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
CACS
That's great to see... If it hadn't been for those safe barriers on the wall to absorb that initial headfirst hit, it could very well have been a different story. I think his wife might have put the :whoa: on continued racing though; drivers like Ricky Craven have endured far less jolting crashes and have had to retire. Ryan's gotta still be feeling like his brain is scrambled after that wreck.

Ironic thing, though, is that NASCAR always talks about "The Big One" at these races at tracks like Daytona and Talladega where the cars get up to 190-plus mph, and it's advertised as an exciting part of the race in spite of the inherent danger. I wonder if an incident like this would be enough to walk that back even though Newman survived.
They still talked about "The Big One" even after Dale Earnhardt died. Nothing is going to change. :manny:

Carolina Slim

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh by way of Crooklyn
They still talked about "The Big One" even after Dale Earnhardt died. Nothing is going to change. :manny:

Yeah there's some truth to that and I considered it, just that Dale Sr's crash wasn't really a "Big One" where like 7-8 cars get taken out and the race has to stop to clear up debris. But yeah, they still promoted them after that.

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
Didn't see the finish of the race, but from what I read it sounds like he was being "pushed"... But a inch or two over in the wrong direction can send the "push-ee" into a wreck.

Just watched the replay on youtube; he was blocking, came down in front, that's what set everything off.... Looked eerily like the crash that killed Dale Earnhardt; he went headfirst into that wall; those safe barriers that they put up after Earnhardt's crash might be what saved him. He's probably got some head trauma and some internal damage from getting t-boned in the side at 180 mph.

Weird thing is, I've always expected dudes to walk away from crashes after I saw dude survive this one in a truck race at Daytona:

I was convinced I had just watched someone die :mjcry:

how the fukk did he survive :wtf:

Carolina Slim

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh by way of Crooklyn
how the fukk did he survive :wtf:

No idea, fam. But that roll cage that they build the car/truck around is made of some pretty stout material. So when you see the outside metal coming apart, the roll cage where the driver is stays intact. I think it was said that something about the design is so that in the event of a wreck, all the energy goes outward, away from the driver. That's why a lot of drivers said that crashes like Earnhardt's, where you DON'T see a lot of flying parts, are more scary, because they know that hitting a wall head on at high speeds leaves all the energy in the car at impact. If you watch a youtube video of that crash with the Fox broadcast, Darrell Waltrip knew what was up even as he was celebrating his brother's winning the race. He broke down how that was a head on hit to that wall at 190 mph, and was immediately like "I hope he's OK :lupe:"

TXTrill1

All Star
Daps
Reppin
TX
and this is never mentioned. They routinely do shyt like that in the final laps.

White people sport.

causing people to spin out intentionally should be the worst shyt ever in sports
Yo ain't that what these rednecks watch Nascar for anyway? The wrecks?