Satanic Temple plans ‘After School Satan Club’ at Memphis elementary school

bnew

Veteran
Daps

Satanic Temple plans ‘After School Satan Club’ at Memphis elementary school​

By Jacob Gallant and Bria Bolden

Published: Dec. 12, 2023 at 1:19 PM EST|Updated: 17 hours ago

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (WMC) - The Satanic Temple, an organization based out of Massachusetts, is planning an “After School Satan Club” at a Memphis elementary school.

The group made the announcement that the club will launch on January 10 at Chimneyrock Elementary School, the first of its kind in the State of Tennessee.

The Satanic Temple’s flyer explicitly states that event is not endorsed nor sponsored by Memphis-Shelby County Schools.

MSCS provided this statement on the club:

Dear Chimneyrock Family,

We understand that some of you have questions regarding the recent approval of a facility rental to The Satanic Temple, a federally recognized non-profit organization.

As a public school district, we're committed to upholding the principles of the First Amendment, which guarantees equal access to all non-profit organizations seeking to use our facilities after school hours. This means we cannot approve or deny an organization’s request based solely on its viewpoints or beliefs.

Board Policy 7002 outlines this commitment, allowing community groups and government entities to rent school property outside of school hours. These gatherings are not school-sponsored and are not endorsed or promoted by Memphis-Shelby County Schools.

The Satanic Temple, recognized by the Internal Revenue Service as a 501(c)(3) public charity, falls under this policy and has the same legal rights to use our facilities after school hours as any other non-profit organization. It will be renting the facility in January, after school. You may read more about the organization in an online news story from the Washington Post.

We understand that this topic may raise questions. Thank you for your understanding and continued partnership.

Memphis-Shelby County Schools Media Relations

The organization points out there’s a Christian club at Chimneyrock Elementary School, and legally, they have every right to have a club at the school after hours.

But some of the parents and grandparents tell Action News 5, they still have lots of questions.

“I think it’s B.S.,” said parent Courtney Dennis. “I think it needs to be held somewhere else and not a school.”

“We don’t go to a school unless there is another religious club operating,” said June Everett, the national campaign director for “After School Satan Club” for The Satanic Temple.

She says Chimneyrock parents reached out to them about bringing the after-hours club to the school.

Everett says a 2001 Supreme Court ruling gives them and The Good News Club, which is a “Bibleclub” sponsored by Child Evangelism Fellowship, the right to be at the K through 5 school.

“I’m about to come unglued right now,” said grandparent Jenny Kincaid. “I cannot believe – this is a kindergarten through fifth-grade school, and they’re letting a Satanic club come in here?”

Everett says The Satanic Temple does not believe in literal or supernatural Satan and is separate from the Church of Satan.

Despite the name, The Satanic Temple’s mission states that they do not attempt to convert children to any religious ideology.

“The Satanic Temple is a non-theistic religion that views Satan as a literary figure who represents a metaphorical construct of rejecting tyranny and championing the human mind and spirit,” their website reads.

But parents still have questions about what the club will do.

“It’s going to be where our children are,” said grandparent Tonya Vester. “We should have had some earlier notification. A chance to say, maybe this is not something the parents here would like.”

Everett tells us typical activities are science and arts and crafts-oriented.

She says they also do community projects.

Chimneyrock will be The Satanic Temple’s fifth active club in the country announced this year.

“I like to believe that people that don’t agree with us and don’t believe we should be allowed equal access into the same schools that these other clubs are renting, that this is a reminder of what a great a free country that we live in,” said Everett. “It’s the First Amendment at work.”

Permission slips are not being sent home with students, but they do have one to participate.

The after-school club is set to launch January 10, 2024.

A “permission slip” is available for parents to signby clicking here.

Low End Derrick

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
crunchy-black.gif

Fiji Water

Every moment is an opportunity
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
There are people that worship a *literal* Satan in the "Christian" clubs all the time, tho. Are children being forced to do this?

This just seems silly but I understand the backlash. But to that, why not just take that time to make sure your child isn't already worshipping Satan?

Dameon Farrow

Superstar
Daps
They won't be any crazier than Christians. I was always amazed at folks who got mad about Scientology for example. Every single thing that made them upset about Scientology I found in Christianity.

My point? Religions always has bad apples. Somehow the good of Christianity should be its face and everyone else's negativity should be theirs.

Hypocrisy is more than a little annoying.

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
Good for them. Keep exposing the hypocrisy. I always enjoy the juelzing from religious folks when they try to explain why their religion should be allowed in school but not others.