School choice gutted Detroit’s public schools. The rest of the country is next.

Shogun

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Knicks
So all of the sudden American inner city schools are jewels to the community?
Funny how narratives change.

Similar to how, after a summer of literal race riots in American cities, Democrats ran a campaign on American race relations being the best they've ever been.

Man, if partisanship wasn't so disingenuous our politicians might actually have to do their job rather than incessantly chasing power and wealth.

hashmander

Hale End
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Arsenal
are the outcomes better or worse or the same? i'm more interested in those stories. i don't have a reflexive hatred towards charter schools, but i don't want public schools eliminated in some quest to prove that the private sector always gets it right when they don't, especially when it comes to services govt typically provides.

Last edited:

Black Hans

Follow Jesus. Be Beautiful
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
John 14:6
Detroit gutted their citizens of quality living. Hopefully the rest of the country isn't next :huhldup:

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
So all of the sudden American inner city schools are jewels to the community?
Funny how narratives change.

Similar to how, after a summer of literal race riots in American cities, Democrats ran a campaign on American race relations being the best they've ever been.

Man, if partisanship wasn't so disingenuous our politicians might actually have to do their job rather than incessantly chasing power and wealth.

such disingenuous bullshyt

Jimi Swagger

I say whatever I think should be said
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Turtle Island to DXB
Collateral damage from Obama administration's Arne Duncan and the Race to the Top exacerbated school closings initiated by Bush's No Child Left Behind. More public school closings and teacher firings under his leadership. Trump's administration will be another Race to the Top on steroids to finalize the legacy. Sadly experienced black teachers, apart of the middle class, are the ones losing their jobs and students do not get the benefit of tenured teachers which ultimately affects black neighborhoods.

Obama's Race To The Top Drives Nationwide Wave of School Closings, Teacher Firings | Black Agenda Report

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Funny, I think the same of nearly everything you post. Got any more Onion articles for us?

Write off a city's experience because of your political leanings, Brehs.

Ignore the new Secretary of Educations impact on Detroit, Brehs.

DPresidential

The Coli's Ralph Ellison
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Brooklyn
Brehs...

I'm so torn.

Prior to the Trump Administration, I was already a big critic of the public school system in this country. I knew NY public schools were the most segregated in the country, I knew that public schools were not dedicated to having children reach their potential. I knew that if a young child in Brownsville had a quality education from his first classroom experience, the possibilities would be endless for him/her.

My parents were lower middle class, but in Fort Greene in the 90s, they were not going to send me to public school. They made sacrifices to send me to a Catholic private school.

I've said and will continue to say, public schools have not done right by our children and the true protests need to happen in front of our public schools.

So, I naturally support school choice and charter schools, when done correctly. I do agree that competition weeds out quality.

In my sig, you can see I'm on the "fukk Trump's bigotry" wave... I'm just having trouble completely cosigning the witch hunt on the administration's policies on education.

I'm clearly not trying to be on some pedestal; I really want valid sourced material to help me get comfortable in what I should support and what I should criticize.

------------------------

I see this article, and it's missing so much information for me to form an educated opinion.

I understand - and wholeheartedly agree - that we should want public schools to be quality, however, this article doesn't do a good job persuading me that the closing of such low quality Detroit schools was because charter schools were the outlier that doomed them. The article actually shows that many of those schools were doomed decades ago from poor government policy and bureaucracy.

Although it shows that the students in charter school may not be outperforming similarly situated students in public schools, I'd like to know what are the performance levels of children who started in charter schools from their first classroom experience.

I also would like to see what competition does with respect to weeding out not only the bad public schools but also the bad charter schools.

Lastly, how has charter schools affected attendance at the highest performing public schools in Detroit?

I really want to have an educated opinion on this, brehs.

I remember what incompetence, lack of confidence, and out right deceit did to a young Malcolm Little(Malcolm X) when that teacher told him "******s can't be lawyers." shyt is traumatic when your educators destroy/damage a child's love of learning and school.

I just want people to sit at the fukking table and do what's best for children...:mjcry: