GPBear

The Tape Crusader
Daps
Reppin
Bay-to-PDX
I started off making beats alone for myself, as most people do. Just to learn the craft of music production. My computers were :trash: then, and they're :trash: now, and because of that fact I would have to use internet sharing sites to backup my files, because I never knew when my computers would crash. I originally used youtube. I would make a batch of obnoxious beats, make an album cover, and upload it all as a video.

Before I joined thecoli, I spent years on the stones throw message board forums. For my first year, I wouldn't even post in the forums to discuss hip-hop. I was there strictly to participate in their online beat battle. Which continues til this day, with DJs and producers from across the globe. Winning was never my intention. As a teenager, I would wait every saturday at noon for the new batch of samples to be posted, and see if I could be the first guy to flip the sample.

1. This was inline with my youtube days, when I would try and make an entire 'album' in one day (because I heard guys like Madlib or Kool Keith/The Cenobites, would stay in their basement and turn out an album in a week.) Trying to race myself every week gave me the creative energy to make the beats, and the time limitation forced me to basically use the first idea that came into my mind.
  2. It seemed a lot of the weeks, the samples tended to be flipped in similar ways, even though there were dozens of participants from different countries and continents. So by flipping the sample first, I would assure I didn't jack any other beatmaker's style. And if I did use a similar sample chop, I would at least be able to say I was the first and didn't have any other influences.
I learned a lot that year making beats and made some super-underground connects. From that forum I made an album with an emcee from Brazil which turned out dope, and one of those beats eventually made its way onto a KOOL A.D. album released earlier this year. I used my time wisely and tried to hone a unique style utilizing the different techniques I picked up weekly from other producers. The culmination, and final synthesis of everything I had learned from this time was my fl studios beatmaking technique, which I have shared on this forum. Once I had finally formulated that mature style, I created a bandcamp account and moved on from the experimental beat battles, because I felt the beats I had made were finally worthy of being made into instrumental albums.

FL Studio is my bytch :win:

grab a four bar drum loop, throw it into Feuity Slicer (Channels>Add one>FL Slicer, click and drag sample)

23w751d.jpg

1. Top right where it says '4 Beats,' when you drag the sample into Fruity Slicer, it'll originally be like 25 beats, drag that shyt all the way down to 4.
  2. Then right click on that button with the razor, click 'Slice To Beat'
  3. Then run the '4 Beats' up to 8. (Also, barely bring up the ATT/DEC like 10ms to clean up the chop 'clicks').
Go to piano roll, you have four chops, repeat the first two drum chops, add the other two on the 4th measure for the changeup :lawd:..

Find a 4 bar sample, Slice it the same way and play it over the drums.

Q2W3E4R5T6Y is the order of fl slicer notes when you're using just keyboard/mouse

30navis.jpg

the top row of the keyboard becomes a piano for all you 'I miss my triton's 88 keys' cats, in other words, q-w-e-r-t-y are 7 white keys, and the 23 is C#/D#, then 567 is F#/G#/Bb or the black keys. The chops get slightly lagged, so you go into piano roll to realign them.

Then you can take like four 4-bar loops, Slice each one, and then play around like that. Group all the Fruity Slicers together onto one mixer, and add filters or sidechain compress it.

that's the Zen of FL brehs, go fukkin' bananas. :cape:

I've got that shyt down to a science, je suis artiste :blessed::banderas:

Ever since I've been on the internet, I've seen a lot of music sharing/file sharing platforms come and go. Soundcloud's seemed inevitable, especially if you've been paying attention this past year. With the news today that soundcloud may be going under, whether that may or may not be true, I figured it would be as good a time as any to go through the beats that I had made over the months and years back in the day. I had actually filled up an entire basic soundcloud account with music (179 out of 180 minutes) and had made an extra account to bypass buying a souncloud premium.

I know that's a long speech, but these are beats from some of my earliest documented years. It's a musical portrait of an artist as a young man. I started making beats at the stones throw forum when they were in their 350ish week, the first beat on the tape is from '358' which was in January 2014. The first tape is the main album, the second is just a small additional sketch of 6-8 beats whose mixes didn't really match the atmosphere of the first. Though the "BB5" and "BB6" beats on the second album are some of my personal favorites.

Without any further delay, I present, Selected Soundcloud Beats (2014-2017) Volume 1 & 2:

An eerie thing looking back on those 2-3 years of soundcloud beats, is that my beats had at one point or another made individual samples/references to Prince, David Bowie, Leonard Cohen, Phife, and Prodigy.
:gucci:
Peace to the Gods, brehs :mjcry:

@TEKBEATZ @stomachlines @R$G META @King Musa @choppybeats @Wepa Man @clanarchy @Mahirishi

Last edited:

clanarchy

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm about to run through these.
Follow Your Heart, the sample that kicks in around 25secs...dope

Wepa Man

Ramblings of an Angry Old Man
Supporter
Daps