Shane Mosley: I was asked to throw fights

Daps
GettyImages-485839000.0.jpg

Shane Mosley is a fighter not afraid to speak his mind, and his latest public statement is likely to raise some eyebrows in the boxing world. The former world champion took to Twitter Sunday night for a lengthy diatribe on boxing. In it, he talks about working with a promoter he suspects of murdering people, his own past indiscretions including selling drugs, and much more.

One of the most interesting parts is where he describes being asked to throw a fight and the subsequent fallout. Here is his story, in Twitter-speak:

I was approached by this slimy promoter, offered a million $ under the table 2 lose 2 his guy. my biggest purse b4 that was like $50k so I was like a million $ wow.

But I couldn't lose I love the respect 2 much, but I had taken fight b4 he made the offer so I had 2 fight. I KOed the guy. Mistake.

After that I was getting death threats on some mafia type shyt. People following me, had 2 throw them hands in a dark alley 1 night on some gangster ish. I still don't know how I got out of that 1 cause I should have been dead bout three four times by now. So then this guy who I turned down 2work with me had it out 4 me so he set me up a few fights with the sole purpose of ending my career & I ended up taking L's.

After those 4 loses every1 said "hang it up. Your washed up. U can't win" but I keep proving people wrong & coming back 2 beat Vargas x2. Mayorga, Margarito, Cano. Cause I'm the comeback kid. Hate fuels me. Cause I like to prove people wrong.

Given the timeline Mosely provides (after beating De La Hoya, but before losing to Vernon Forrest) and that he says he won by KO, that would suggest that the fight in question was either against Antonio Diaz or Adrian Stone. Interestingly, in this 2010 interview (), Stone also talks vaguely about some questionable management issues leading up to the Mosley fight.

Continuing on his Twitter rant, Mosley goes on to talk about being asked to throw fights on multiple occasions, and when he refused, facing repercussions including having things slipped into his water or food before fights to make him sick.

Perhaps the biggest claim is when Sugar Shane states that because he refused to follow people's orders he was:

seriously set up on some Balco shyt.

BALCO is the San Francisco based company that was investigated by the federal government in 2002 for providing steroids to professional athletes - an investigation that ultimately included many high profile names such as Barry Bonds and Jason Giambi. In that investigation, Mosley admitted to using BALCO steroids before his 2003 fight with Oscar De La Hoya. Mosely has always claimed that he did not know what he was using, telling ESPN in 2007:

Unknowingly, yes, some of the substances they are talking about, were being used as part of the workouts. I didn't know what the hell it was... I had no intentions of trying to cheat or do anything crazy. My thing is live healthy, eat healthy. That's how I live. I'm not afraid what people will think. I know the truth.

He wraps up his Twitter story with this:

Disclaimer* the stories on my timeline are for entertainment only and should not be construed as facts.... my attorneys said

Take a look at the entire story on Twitter at @ShaneMosley_.

Mosley is back in action May 28 taking on David Avanesyan.

Shane Mosley: I was asked to throw fights, was set up in steroid scandal

O.G.B

Real O.G.
Daps
:snoop: Mosley hasn't been playing with a full deck since his wife divorced & ganked him for most of his money while slandering his name publicly.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Not a stretch.
Pretty sure a story came out recently that Tennis players tank all the time