Shark attacks in NC beaches

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
Someone asked about shark or lion last month. A legitimate "what if" question.

Now, I answered lion. :sas1: Call me stupid but look at these sharks biting people in North Carolina. How many lion attacks world-wide have occurred in the last two months?

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
According to reports, a Marine was injured over the weekend in the eighth shark attack along the North Carolina coast so far this season...
http://abc11.com/news/marine-injured-in-8th-shark-attack-along-nc-coast/831239/

831328_630x354.jpg

Groanman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
THREE-OH-FIVE TILL I DIE
According to my calculations, sharks like to bite things and people.
Therefore, I believe that sharks bite people because they like to bite people.

The only thing I cannot figure out is why do people continue to be surprised whenever this happens.

Cognitive Dissonance

Theoretically, we are all ignorant
Daps
Reppin
Ignorance
sharks barely attack humans, you must do something to a shark for it to attack blindly. nor can they eat us, there teeth aren't meant for ripping human flesh.:ld:

jdubnyce

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
t-dot till they bury me
According to my calculations, sharks like to bite things and people.
Therefore, I believe that sharks bite people because they like to bite people.

The only thing I cannot figure out is why do people continue to be surprised whenever this happens.
:ehh:

I believe that sharks bite people often mistaking them for natural prey (ie. seals, sea lions, turtles, etc); not sure if sharks are actively hunting and biting people to feast on humans :patrice:

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA

Optimus Prime

#AGGIEPRIDE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NC A&T SU, Hornets, Panthers, North Carolina
off the coast of NC last October:dwillhuh:

http___makeagif-com__media_10-14-2014_rtjdgn.gif

NORTH CAROLINA — Video posted to YouTube back in October of 2014 showing a rare shark feeding frenzy in North Carolina is getting some new attention after two teenagers lost limbs in weekend shark attacks.

A 13-year-old girl and 16-year-old boy each lost an arm Sunday in separate shark attacks at the same North Carolina beach.

Oak Island Mayor Betty Wallace told CNN that the female swimmer was attacked first, around 4:15 p.m. Less than 90 minutes later, as responders were still tending to her, the boy was attacked.

Wallace told CNN that shark attacks are so rare at Oak Island — a beach town on the state’s southernmost coast — that she couldn’t remember one occurring before Sunday.

Both incidents occurred at high tide in the vicinity of Ocean Crest Pier, a popular destination among beachgoers.

The pier is also a popular spot to fish from, meaning there was likely bait in the water that could have attracted sharks.

About four or five people are bitten by sharks on North Carolina beaches each year, said George Burress, an ichthyologist and fisheries biologist with the Florida Museum of Natural History.

Video posted to YouTube on October 13th, 2014 by Brian Recker was recorded at Cape Lookout National Seashore off the coast of North Carolina.

Leaders were taking part in a church retreat — out fishing for the evening’s dinner when the stumbled across more than 100 sharks attacking a school of blue fish, according to Recker.

On YouTube, Recker writes:

“As seagulls and pelicans joined in on the meal, the men began to cast into the surf, catching fish without the use of bait.

For more than five minutes, the sharks were observed swimming in and out of the surf, some of which became beached in the fury.

Donnie Griggs, the cameraman who captured the footage, is an avid waterman who spearfishes, dives, swims and surfs at Cape Lookout often.

We want it to be clear that Cape Lookout and the surrounding beaches of Eastern North Carolina are extremely safe for swimming.

The presence of these sharks and large schools of fish is actually a sign of a very healthy ecosystem.”

The video was filmed just to the northwest of where Sunday’s shark attacks occurred.

jdubnyce

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
t-dot till they bury me
off the coast of NC last October:dwillhuh:

http___makeagif-com__media_10-14-2014_rtjdgn.gif

NORTH CAROLINA — Video posted to YouTube back in October of 2014 showing a rare shark feeding frenzy in North Carolina is getting some new attention after two teenagers lost limbs in weekend shark attacks.

A 13-year-old girl and 16-year-old boy each lost an arm Sunday in separate shark attacks at the same North Carolina beach.

Oak Island Mayor Betty Wallace told CNN that the female swimmer was attacked first, around 4:15 p.m. Less than 90 minutes later, as responders were still tending to her, the boy was attacked.

Wallace told CNN that shark attacks are so rare at Oak Island — a beach town on the state’s southernmost coast — that she couldn’t remember one occurring before Sunday.

Both incidents occurred at high tide in the vicinity of Ocean Crest Pier, a popular destination among beachgoers.

The pier is also a popular spot to fish from, meaning there was likely bait in the water that could have attracted sharks.

About four or five people are bitten by sharks on North Carolina beaches each year, said George Burress, an ichthyologist and fisheries biologist with the Florida Museum of Natural History.

Video posted to YouTube on October 13th, 2014 by Brian Recker was recorded at Cape Lookout National Seashore off the coast of North Carolina.

Leaders were taking part in a church retreat — out fishing for the evening’s dinner when the stumbled across more than 100 sharks attacking a school of blue fish, according to Recker.

On YouTube, Recker writes:

“As seagulls and pelicans joined in on the meal, the men began to cast into the surf, catching fish without the use of bait.

For more than five minutes, the sharks were observed swimming in and out of the surf, some of which became beached in the fury.

Donnie Griggs, the cameraman who captured the footage, is an avid waterman who spearfishes, dives, swims and surfs at Cape Lookout often.

We want it to be clear that Cape Lookout and the surrounding beaches of Eastern North Carolina are extremely safe for swimming.

The presence of these sharks and large schools of fish is actually a sign of a very healthy ecosystem.”

The video was filmed just to the northwest of where Sunday’s shark attacks occurred.

that close to the shore :damn:

newworldafro

DeeperThanRapBiggerThanHH
Daps
Reppin
In the Silver Lining
Damn N.C. tourism bout to take a hit :wow:

And shark attacks are very rare. It's not anything the people are doing swimming, but it is something in the ocean that is off balance. Should be plenty of food and room for them to enjoy life and not have this many attacks together like this.

Cognitive Dissonance

Theoretically, we are all ignorant
Daps
Reppin
Ignorance
Last edited: