SI's Best Player Alive...

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
According to who? White media people? Or NBA players, coaches, and GMs?

Once again you just giving me white boy talking points. There are sites like RealGM where you would fit in. Over here we don't talk like that. Kobe was the unanimous best player in the NBA from 2005-2009 (at the very least) according to his peers (aka other NBA players). The only people who questioned his standing as the best player in the world at that time didn't play in the NBA.

To say he never sustained being the best player in the league for 5 straight years is asinine. Anybody who lived and breathed ball back then knew he was the best. Even your boy LeBron has quotes stretching from 2005-2009 where he calls Kobe the hands down best player in the NBA.

Here's the video evidence since you seem to have amnesia of what really happened in the 2000s:

Cool, so what distinguished Kobe by order of magnitude from Duncan and Dirk in '06 and '07, and from LeBron in '09 and '10?

'08 is the one year I think he had it comfortably. Not that no one else could be argued period, but Duncan was firmly at the back end of his prime, so he aged out of the convo. Dirk was only in the conversation to the extent of him at his absolute peak, '08 was the return to pre-05 Dirk. And '08 is the first year I think you can put LeBron in the conversation, but his game wasn't as dominant or matured as years to follow, and there was a gap of 12 wins between his team and Kobe's...

When Duncan was playing at and near his peak, he was ALWAYS in the conversation for best player alive. He didn't have it definitively by himself most years, either. What you do is confuse your fandom, and most other people's fandom for Kobe as him having no competitive equals individually. The biggest gap between Kobe and everybody else was popular opinion and marketability. Comparing pound for pound to the other Top guys, there was rarely a moment Kobe didn't have an equal competitor for best player...

Anybody else you wanna talk about on their list? You guys zero in when you see Kobe's name and make an entire conversation about him, I'm about tired of going in circles with yall dudes about fam...

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Cool, so what distinguished Kobe by order of magnitude from Duncan and Dirk in '06 and '07, and from LeBron in '09 and '10?

The fact nearly every NBA player during that time (including Dirk and LeBron) said he was the best player in the league BY FAR. And although Duncan never said it, his own coach Greg Popovich called Kobe the best routinely during that time period. Nobody in the history of the NBA (other than Jordan) had as much unanimous support from his peers as the best in the league. This is a fact. And if you were alive at that time you would know so.

Look breh. Just say you don't like Kobe and will latch onto any argument you've seen cacs make as a ways to try and knock down his greatness. Nobody who watched basketball in 2006 and 2007 and had functional eyes would dare compare Kobe to Dirk or Duncan. He was head and shoulders better than them. To bring their names up is just silly. With LeBron in '09 and '10 it was a closer debate. But even then almost all players (including LeBron) said Kobe was the best.

When nearly all your PEERS say you are the best, it says more than any stat, ring, or media award.

Last edited:
Daps
The fact nearly every NBA player during that time (including Dirk and LeBron) said he was the best player in the league BY FAR. And although Duncan never said it, his own coach Greg Popovich called Kobe the best routinely during that time period. Nobody in the history of the NBA (other than Jordan) had as much unanimous support from his peers as the best in the league.

Look breh. Just say you don't like Kobe amd will latch onto any argument you've seen cacs make as a ways to try and knock down his greatness. Nobody who watched basketball in 2006 and 2007 and had functional eyes would dare compare Kobe to Dirk or Duncan. He was head and shoulders better than them. To bring their names up is just silly. With LeBron in '09 and '10 it was a closer debate. But even then almost all players (including LeBron) said Kobe was the best.

When all your PEERS say you are the best, it say more than any stat, ring, or media award.

I will say that any admission from upper echelon players competing within the moment saying shyt like that is damning

Daps
Reppin
NULL
I will say that any admission from upper echelon players competing within the moment saying shyt like that is damning

Exactly.

In 2009, in the midst of his first MVP season, LeBron James said this on 60 minutes:

When your biggest rival at time for the title of best player who the media was already annoiting says you are the best. To me this LeBron interview speaks the most to how highly Kobe's peers thought of him at the time.

GOAT

The bubble was fraudulent
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah it’s very telling that their teams were garbage :dead:
And he won 50+ games with some of those trash ass rosters. nikkas act like KG was winning 30 games every year until Boston. The West was stacked and good teams were going out early in the Playoffs

I.AM.PIFF

You're minor, we're major
Supporter
Daps
I'm not putting Malone ahead of Shaq for '99. Just can't do it

Duncan was really the best player in '99 when looking back at it.

Shaq had a weak season for his standards and got handled by TD in the offs.

Alonzo Mourning was a good contender as well but he went out in the 1st round as a #1 seed (well more like his team failed him).

1. Duncan
2. Malone
3. Shaq