Sista Souljah talks sequel to Coldest Winter Ever on the breakfast club

Asicz

Presume the unpredictable
Daps
Soiljah is the pioneer of the modern street literature genre. I asslso think her influence is underrated on books and film in modern black culture

And then there was the Bill Clinton incident she made headlines for.

Asicz

Daps
This and True To The Game were some fire books for their time that sadly did not get the red carpet treatment:francis:.

It would be dope if there was a hood version PassionFlix for all of the "street romance" type of books that came out.

I would love to see a modern day take on The Coldest Winter Ever:ohhh:
The deal for a movie produced with Jada Pinkett fell through

Sister Souljah on Her New Book, 'Midnight'

Blessed Koala

Climbing the Pulpit
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama
"The Coldest Winter" is the definition of don't judge a book by its cover. The cover showed lipstick print and female/ femine cover bit the story is a story males and females would enjoy

Breh, this was probably one of the best books I've ever read because it was visually thought out. It had this weird "The Wire" complex where all of the characters were somewhat relatable to a every day cycle. I swear everybody knew one "Midnight" that they came across. That smart, quiet, but grimy type of dude that's trying to get by.

To this very day, most of these "hood romance" books try to copy the blueprint but fail to even meet such quality.

FlyBoy718

All Star
Daps
Reppin
BK
This and True To The Game were some fire books for their time that sadly did not get the red carpet treatment:francis:.

It would be dope if there was a hood version PassionFlix for all of the "street romance" type of books that came out.

I would love to see a modern day take on The Coldest Winter Ever:ohhh:
GOAT urban fiction. I was surprised they never turned it into a movie too until I found out Jada Pinkett owns the rights I believe. She was waiting on the right business opportunity but this was over a decade ago so who knows where that went. On another note, there actually is a movie for True To The Game. They even had a sequel starring Waka Flacka:lolbron:

Asicz

Daps
Breh, this was probably one of the best books I've ever read because it was visually thought out. It had this weird "The Wire" complex where all of the characters were somewhat relatable to a every day cycle. I swear everybody knew one "Midnight" that they came across. That smart, quiet, but grimy type of dude that's trying to get by.

To this very day, most of these "hood romance" books try to copy the blueprint but fail to even meet such quality.
I was seeing a girl who was reading it when I was in High school and I mistakenly judged as some "girl book". Years later a dude I knew with 9 Felony convictions highly recommended Sistah Souljah's book to me.

I could barely put it down.

Last edited:

Asicz

Daps
I was saying a girl who was reading it and judges I mistakenly judged as some "girl book" because of them years later a dude I knew with 9 Felony convictions highly recommended her book to me.

I could barely put it down.

"True to The Game"by Teri Woods has been made into a film!
Beanie Sigel even named dropped her multiple book titles "Be More Careful" and "True to The Game" on his song " You Can't Stop The Reign" (Mixtape freestyle over the OG Shaq and Biggie song" 16 years ago.

"Tapping nikkas debits, you gotta respect it
bytches true to the game, now be more careful, check it"
Beanie Sigel "You Can't Stop the Reign"

Blessed Koala

Climbing the Pulpit
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama
To this the day, the scene in my head of Bullet smooth dipping off on her towards the end is one of the biggest mixes of :mjlol: & :mjcry: I’ve ever felt reading/visualizing something.

:mjlol:Breh that entire book is fukkery potent. The fact that ole girl thought she was going to get with that rapper and it ended up being one of the rapper's bodyguards or some shyt was :deadmanny:

:whew:How precise she used to keep the coochie hairs
:to:Her mom slowly but surely becoming a crackhead
:ld:Midnight not even noticing that she was breathing

Black Sinatra

Raised Glass to the Squandered Potentials..
Daps
Reppin
DSGB
Damn, didn't see this coming. I remember my cousins reading these books. This one and Fly Girl by Omar Tyree. Those books really created this odd and rare space back then, you felt like it was a peek into the mind of a young black female.