Snoop Dog on Instagram attacking black women who wear wigs*****Ari responds

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Why is Anita Baker proof of anything? She wasn’t a Pop Star and her primary audience has always been Black. I’ve also only ever seen her with this style or something similar.
8e449e5077e1b045aeea366dcf6ef2b3.jpg

As for Whitney, even in the 80s, her hair was given a crossover touch(blonde/straightened/weaved) many times.
whitney.jpg

180716_iwdws_ebetroberts.jpeg

c061b96f54b08b0c5f8bb193f24a5b9f.jpg

The only other crossover Black female acts in the 80s with sustained popularity were Janet, Tina, and Donna Summer. They all rocked straightened and weaved hair. At times, it was in that loose curl pattern style that isn’t “natural” to Black women at all.
im-69591

7f70e914354b69b5c9d19809c436859d.jpg

rip-donna-summer-608x450.jpg

The late 60s and the 70s are the only time when most prominent Black female stars rocked natural hair because it was a very unique time in Black history. Right off the heels of he civil rights period, expression of Black self-love and pride were heavily promoted.
Which makes it completely stupid when people try to say black men and white society forced them to wear weaves over the next 2 decades after positive afro centric movements that black men supported.

This argument is some chicken vs.the egg shyt thats not worth pursuing, but you gotta admit the troll brehs have a point on women's hypocrisy on this

BrownBunny

All Star
Daps
Explain how Black women were natural in the 80s, 70s and beyond. Yes there were perms and wigs, but equally natural Black women. Even Whitney and Anita Baker had short fro's in the 80s.
Now all of a sudden from the 90s onward supposedly white supremacy is now worse than decades past and every Black woman has to wear an ugly smelly weave. I dont buy the argument that cacs are enforcing this. If you know Black women you know they dont just do what someone else tells them to. So my take is Black women are choosing these awful hairstyles on their own volition.
I was running on in my other post but as I said before, I’ve had natural hair for three years that reaches beyond my shoulders. It doesn’t mean comments like yours have any credence. Wigs, weaves, and relaxers didn’t magically start in 1990. Before the “Black is Beautiful” movement of the 70s, most Black women of means straightened her hair. The first Black female millionaire got rich off freaking hair straightener in the 1920s! Even Black men in the 50s and 60s joined along. A lot of you sound like White supremacist who act like all Black multi generational trauma and issues should have just magically disappeared with the signing of the Civil Rights Act in 1963. “It’s all in your head”

BaggerofTea

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Explain how Black women were natural in the 80s, 70s and beyond. Yes there were perms and wigs, but equally natural Black women. Even Whitney and Anita Baker had short fro's in the 80s.
Now all of a sudden from the 90s onward supposedly white supremacy is now worse than decades past and every Black woman has to wear an ugly smelly weave. I dont buy the argument that cacs are enforcing this. If you know Black women you know they dont just do what someone else tells them to. So my take is Black women are choosing these awful hairstyles on their own volition.

:yeshrug:This is more to do with prominent black men making it openly known for media forums of their preference for long hair light skinned women.

BaggerofTea

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Which makes it completely stupid when people try to say black men and white society forced them to wear weaves over the next 2 decades after positive afro centric movements that black men supported.

This argument is some chicken vs.the egg shyt thats not worth pursuing, but you gotta admit the troll brehs have a point on women's hypocrisy on this
:unimpressed: A lot of you nikkas need to stop putting women on a pedestal and realize a woman direction arises out of a mans needs/wants.

Women wear weave because men wanted it so, whether we want to admit it or not

BrownBunny

All Star
Daps

I wasn’t around in the 70s and 80s so I’m not going to act like I understand the reasons behind the regression but I disagree with the idea that it’s hypocrisy. From my own experience growing up in the 2000s and 2010s, natural hair was heavily criticized. Are we going to act like kids didn’t call each other nappy headed, that there weren’t discussions about good hair and bad hair, and that these terms weren’t pushed in Black media too? Black boys and men are subject to this criticism to so I’m not sure why The Coli is acting like it’s a nonexistent problem.

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:unimpressed: A lot of you nikkas need to stop putting women on a pedestal and realize a woman direction arises out of a mans needs/wants.

Women wear weave because men wanted it so, whether we want to admit it or not
The 70s and multiple afro centric movements counter this clownish excuse.

Men in the 70's: Damn girls im loving that natural afro. Look at us dating, marrying and loving all these natural black women. Lets keep doing this.

Black women in the going into the 80s: *Sees the big loose hair styles and wigs of white women* :lupe: WHAT WAS THAT GUYS? YOU SAID YOU HATE AFROS AND ONLY LIKE STRAIGHT HAIR FROM EXTENSIONS? WELL IF YOU INSIST

clown shyt but its not worth getting to the bottom of. Blaming men is essential to any American women's rationalization of reality

BrownBunny

All Star
Daps
The 70s and multiple afro centric movements counter this clownish excuse.

Men in the 70's: Damn girls im loving that natural afro. Look at us dating, marrying and loving all these natural black women. Lets keep doing this.

Black women in the going into the 80s: *Sees the big loose hair styles and wigs of white women* :lupe: WHAT WAS THAT GUYS? YOU SAID YOU HATE AFROS AND ONLY LIKE STRAIGHT HAIR FROM EXTENSIONS? WELL IF YOU INSIST

clown shyt but its not worth getting to the bottom of. Blaming men is essential to any American women's rationalization of reality
Many of the comments in this thread didn’t blame men but I guess we’re ignoring them? A think a lot of The Coli has a complete inability to emphasize.

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I wasn’t around in the 70s and 80s so I’m not going to act like I understand the reasons behind the regression but I disagree with the idea that it’s hypocrisy. From my own experience growing up in the 2000s and 2010s, natural hair was heavily criticized. Are we going to act like kids didn’t call each other nappy headed, that there weren’t discussions about good hair and bad hair, and that these terms weren’t pushed in Black media too? Black boys and men are subject to this criticism to so I’m not sure why The Coli is acting like it’s a nonexistent problem.
I got called nappy headed all my life and I had locs before it was cool when people made rasta jokes or jokes about birds trying to nest in your hair. Black people talk shyt, it is what it is. Lil grade school jokes never made me consider a toupee.

We gonna act like kids dont call each other ashy, dusty, too dark and other lame shyt? I hope that trauma doesnt have you bleaching your skin in the near future

BrownBunny

All Star
Daps
I got called nappy headed all my life and I had locs before it was cool when people make rasta jokes or jokes about birds trying to nest in your hair. Black people talk shyt, it is what it is. Lil grade school jokes never made me consider a toupee.

We gonna act like kids dont call each other ashy, dusty, too dark and other lame shyt? I hope that trauma doesnt have you bleaching your skin in the near future
It shouldn’t be “what it is”. You can’t fukk up a kid’s self esteem and wonder why they’re moving crazy as an adult. I’ve seen little Black girls talk about how straight hair is prettier while their parents did nothing to change that mindset. Broken kids grow up to become broken adults.

You have the incredible cold worldview of someone that lacks empathy. The goal should be teaching Black kids not to make these kinds of jokes about each other and enforcing Black self-love in Black media. It does nothing to kick a broken person where it hurts.

I have natural hair and I’ve never been ashamed of my skin tone so why would I bleach? It was easy for me to go natural because I have thick skin and have never really cared what somebody else thought about my appearance as long as they weren’t bothering me. Most people aren’t wired like that, especially women.