So I started Brasilian Jiu Jitsu :blessed:

Spiritual Stratocaster

Jesus is KING
Supporter
Daps
At the Gracie Barra here in Seattle...3rd class just went by and :wow:

Everyone in that bish can fold you but they be so friendly :pachaha:

Doing takedowns and I go up against an older brotha..brown belt...dude was like :russell: ..he let me know he wasn't gonna too much waste energy on me ..next thing I know i'm on my back:wtf:

I'm not confident enough in my ability to try some of the throws yet when we do live :patrice:

I'm still awkward doing double leg takedowns..

My confidence was suffering in part due to being able to defend myself. I Didn't feel comfortable in public,etc but now I do feel better about myself already. I feel good about waking up.

Getting thrown by high level belts and choked I don't fear people on the street much..

The older breh said "with the world getting more violent..Jiu Jitsu is something that is valuable to learn"..:myman: I get it..especially with cacs getting bold:mjpls: The older breh didn't mention whites but It's true.

@Mowgli Thanks for kicking that BJJ knowledge whenever you can..:wow:

You mention you do Jiu Jitsu to people and they go :leon: ..or I had one neighbor give me the :steviej:

Helio Gracie :blessed:

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
Just trying to keep yall current. Being loud and extra gives away your position and allows people to know how to deal with you. With guns or mma

Jiujitsu allows you to be a ninja out here. Tough enough to be secure in yourself so you can walk away when needed or reprimand and destroy as necessary. Lot of these demons take jiujitsu and quit at blue belt. They have not lost that urge inside to bully and hurt others. They learn enough so they can practice and hurt others. As a black man you don't want this to be you so take it as far as you can take it.

Use lower belts and those weaker then you to gain confidence in technique and bring your A game to people on your level

ALWAYS TAP EARLY, leave your ego at the door and never worry about losing.

Dont t]ry to hurt your teammates

Avoid teammates that try to injure u and snitch to the coach.

Show respect and let someone know when they're being disrespectful.

Recognize why you lost and begin plugging holes in your game until few exist.

Focus on defense and escapes in the beginning. Earn your dominant positions by starting in bad positions.

My door is open. @TheDarceKnight train more then me and he always helps the guys out. Good luck and enjoy

Last edited:

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
Don't Ever in your life sit like this on a jiujitsu mat

stock-photo-young-lady-sitting-a-leaning-back-on-her-hands-117457882.jpg

32547638.jpg

ALWAYS be aware of your surroundings. Two bulls going ham nearby can easily spill over in your area and in that position someone can fall on your arm and snap that arm right up.

Secondly.

Thanks a Personal pet peeve of mine...

When the coach is talking showing techniques don't be this guy.
DSC00145.JPG

I don't think ur in any danger but it just doesn't look right. Practice keeping a ready position

Spiritual Stratocaster

Jesus is KING
Supporter
Daps
Don't Ever in your life sit like this on a jiujitsu mat

stock-photo-young-lady-sitting-a-leaning-back-on-her-hands-117457882.jpg

32547638.jpg

ALWAYS be aware of your surroundings. Two bulls going ham nearby can easily spill over in your area and in that position someone can fall on your arm and snap that arm right up.

Secondly.

Thanks a Personal pet peeve of mine...

When the coach is talking showing techniques don't be this guy.
DSC00145.JPG

I don't think ur in any danger but it just doesn't look right. Practice keeping a ready position
I have training leftover from my high school football..to this day I refuse to put my hands on my knees when I'm tired..looking tired and lax like that earned us sprints :bryan:

Bleed The Freak

Superstar
Daps
I did judo for a hot minute and that shyt was no joke...nikkas will fold yo ass something serious

Currently doing Tang Soo Do ( 3.5 years) Did boxing and Isshin Ryu and TKD earlier. TKD and Isshin Ryu for years

Last edited:

Pool_Shark

Can’t move with me in this digital space
Daps
I've been doing it for around 3 months now and here's a few basic things I've learned.

Tap early, tap often. Once you have a lot of escapes in your game you can fight submissions but just starting out try to not end up in submissions, if you get there tap and reset.

When your on top you want to take space away. Bottom you want to create space.

Postition over submission. It can be exciting to finally lock something up but give it up if you feel like youre about to get swept or end up in a bad spot.

That's all I know so far. If I said anything wrong feel free to correct me. Congratulations on starting, like I said I've been at it for a few months and its improved my confidence and completely changed my way of thinking.

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
i'm signing up for classes soon. i'm ready to be humbled.

how much do you pay a month?
For a legit school with proper lineage i pay 130 but I may be getting old prices. If u go to a gracie barra is could be 150 and up.

Definitely not cheap so you want to get your money's worth and Use the classes

Cheaper classes Happen when you train out of the back of fitness gyms but more then anything be sure your coachs black belt is validated and if ur learning from a purple belt trying to start his own thing, if reccomend someone winning serious tournaments

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
I've been doing it for around 3 months now and here's a few basic things I've learned.

Tap early, tap often. Once you have a lot of escapes in your game you can fight submissions but just starting out try to not end up in submissions, if you get there tap and reset.

When your on top you want to take space away. Bottom you want to create space.

Postition over submission. It can be exciting to finally lock something up but give it up if you feel like youre about to get swept or end up in a bad spot.

That's all I know so far. If I said anything wrong feel free to correct me. Congratulations on starting, like I said I've been at it for a few months and its improved my confidence and completely changed my way of thinking.
Good things you've absorbed.

One thing I'd say regarding position over submission...and it'll make more sense as time goes on.

It's true. But I tell my students that good submissions are really just positions that can make someone tap out. So if you view everything as a position, sometimes it makes the game easier. Especially without the gi, being able to use submissions as grips or positions is so useful, even if you don't get the tap. The kimura grip and the guillotine or the darce are great examples of this. The kimura is used as a grip to sweep, pass, take the back, or to transition to an armbar or inverted triangle way more than it's used to actually tap someone out with the 'classic kimura finish.' The value is in the grip. If you can get the tap with it, then that's great too. But it opens the elbow from the body (weakening the other person massively) and it isolates an entire corner of their body, and allows you to move independently of them without them being able to really adjust or chase you. It's maybe the most powerful grip in all of jiu-jitsu, and I use it all the time, but I rarely actually finish the submission hold itself. And this applies for a lot of techniques.

Omoplata is another one that comes to mind. It rarely gets the tap but it's basically a guaranteed sweep if you get the position, and it opens them up to other submissons as well.

And this whole heel hook craze. Even if you don't like leg locks, they're great tools to sweep or to pass the guard. Points and the fact that most tournaments don't give points for submission attempts IMO are part of why people view submission and position as two different things, but the best submissions are solid positions as well that just have the benefit of being able to make the other person tap.

And oddly enough, sometimes submission before position is good too. You're taking the back, right? The best time to get the choke is as you're taking the back. They defend the 2nd hook, often with their hands, because they don't wanna get their back taken, and you sink the choke in the transition. Once you're fully on the back, and you settle in, they've got their defense in place and then you've got to do your hand-fighting sequences and what not to finish. Same with getting the darce or the guillotine as they turn in to defend the guard pass. You start a pass and threaten a choke, and they have to defend two things at once, and you can usually get at least one, if not both. These examples are very evident if you watch these submission only matches that are popular now. There aren't many finishes from the back unless it's overtime in EBI (where you get to start there) because when you're taking the back, they aren't worried about getting scored on, so they just defend the choke from the jump, and it's way harder to finish. And if you're passing the guard in sub only, people won't really turn in, so you see less of you darces, guillotines, and far side armbars or arm triangles off the guard pass attempts.

Watch the G.O.A.T. Marcelo Garcia, debuting at ADCC 2003. He arm drags to the back and he's on the neck with the rear naked choke before securing hooks, and he said after that against Shaolin (who was the king at the time) he never would've gotten the choke if he'd fully secured the position first.

I'm starting to ramble. Some of that submission before position stuff applies more to no-gi than gi. I hope this helps and wasn't confusing. I'll talk about jiu-jitsu all day.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
i'm signing up for classes soon. i'm ready to be humbled.

how much do you pay a month?
BJJ is kind of expensive. Back in the day in Brazil the more wealthy 'playboys' did BJJ and the guys in the favellas that couldn't afford the gi/kimono did Luta Livre, which is basically just submission wrestling/jiu-jitsu without wearing the gi. So the expensive/luxury thing of the sport/art has a history to it.

I'd say most places are going to be about $100 per month, give or take a little bit. Depends where you live. If you're in a major BJJ hot spot like southern Cali or NYC, you might have to pay like $200-$250 per month at some of these really high caliber academies. But other than that, I'd say around $100 is pretty solid. My place charges people $150 and it's higher than most of the places in our area, and out main competitors charge $80 and $120, respectively. We also offer Muay Thai I guess, but the place that charges $120 also has a weight room and wrestling and judo classes.

A lot of BJJ gyms are really cool about contracts. A lot of places won't try to make you sign a contract, which is cool if you can find a place like that. Just take it month to month if you can. If you have to sign a contract, I'd try to not do one for more than 6 months until you know you like it. Depending on where you end up, the first 6 months of training are usually some of the most frustrating, because it's mostly about just learning defense and how to be comfortable with being uncomfortable.

If I can give any other info, please let me know. I've been training BJJ for 12 years and another 10 years before that in some other arts, but the jiu-jitsu bug bit me hard and that's all I do.