So many Black channels so little Original black programming...

Majestic Pape

The-Coli = W SOHH = L
Daps
that show BET tried to push with Malcolm Jamal Warner and the girl from Girlfriends was terrible. :smh:not funny at all and a knock-off My Wife and Kids. They also ran The Game into the ground,in my opinion. I can see why the CW let it die if that's what the writers were pitching to them. They just cant make anything good. Tho I havent watched much of Lets Stay Together, I believe its called.

Let's be real here, we always grade our shows on a harsher scale. The Game isn't worse than the bullshyt the CW is pumping out right now. In fact, these last couple of seasons of The Game would have been nowhere near the bottom of the quality of that station. The BET Game episodes were much better than the last couple of seasons of One Tree Hill, for example, in terms fo quality, so it's definitely not a quality thing.

An average Black scripted show just isn't really going to find an audience.

But on the broader scale, these stations aren't actually owned by Black people anyway. They're owned by corporations who don't give a fukk about Black folk in the first place. These people have no social committment to bring any quality programming, just whatever bullshyt they can put on TV to fill up time.

Majestic Pape

The-Coli = W SOHH = L
Daps
Well TV One is full of reality shows but that being said, sitcoms are extremely expensive, you have to have something of a surefire hit and if you don't it's not worth it for the network to blow money producing it, plus there is a relatively small pool of Black actors so I think at best you're going to end up rehashing an older sitcom.

Nah, there's a HUGE pool of Black actors, it's just they're not getting work.

Daps
Reppin
http://youtu.be/pXzHOOuCYZc
If they DID make new shows, nikkas wouldn't watch them.

Or maybe they WOULD, but they wouldn't appeal to anyone else.
This isnt true. People watched Everybody hates Chris and females @ my job stay talking about The Game.

New shows is a positive thing if they're actually good. People can only watch so many My Wife and Kids, Steve Harvey, and Wayans reruns.

NZA

LOL
Daps
Reppin
These Internet Streetz
Well TV One is full of reality shows but that being said, sitcoms are extremely expensive, you have to have something of a surefire hit and if you don't it's not worth it for the network to blow money producing it, plus there is a relatively small pool of Black actors so I think at best you're going to end up rehashing an older sitcom.

sitcoms are not expensive, there are lots of black actors, and you can never have a surefire hit before you make the show

chineebai

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I worked in TV for a few years and and when TVONE first came out to get advertising dollars, I thought it was such a great alternative to BET. Before TVONE if you wanted advertising on black programming, BET would be the most arrogant network because they were the only one. I think TVONE really has grown up since it started and they have a few original programming. Also to produce a sitcom is very very expensive. Eventually I think TVone is going to rebrand its programming to cater to a younger crowd.

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
sitcoms are not expensive, there are lots of black actors, and you can never have a surefire hit before you make the show

I've worked in broadcast TV for over a decade. Sitcoms are quite expensive in relation to reality shows which cost virtually nothing. Keep in mind, you have to pitch the idea, create a pilot, show it to a test audience, repitch the idea and potentially recast then make an official pilot. Now keep in mind these actors must be paid upfront, you also have to pay the director, producer and team of writers, as well as staff and extras. Also keep in mind those HD video camera are expensive and require special HD rerecordable DV tapes so you have a limited number of takes. The network will then decide to show it to a test audience either they say yes or no, then they order a set amount of episodes. Now you have to make contracts for all these people and you have a show. Now you can understand why a network would be somewhat hesitant to make a network television show unless they are fairly sure it will be a hit.

Of course there are black actors but a network will not take on a show unless you have some established names to anchor it and most of the established names are either in working now or have committed to various projects in the near future.