So My 8 Year Old Neice Tells me That Her School Gives Her Fluoride Pills. . .

NZA

LOL
Daps
Reppin
These Internet Streetz
i have never been given pills, at least not for swallowing. i was given brightly colored tablets meant for chewing and then spitting out. i was really young, so my memory is hazy, but it was a special day where a dentist came on campus and had all the kids do it. keep in mind i grew up in "the barrio" with kids who were poor and may have been born in countries with limited access to dental care, so i guess the program was meant to assess the dental health of the kids in the community and to deliver some basic services for free.

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Theological Noncognitivist Since Birth
Daps
Reppin
The Wrong Side of the Tracks
:comeon:

Put this in the 'Conspiracy Theory' thread, please @BarNone.

Dudes are scared of nothing.

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com...y-portland-is-wrong-about-water-fluoridation/

Simply put, the refusal of water fluoridation doesn’t have any scientific support. A review on fluoride’s effect on IQ out of Harvard was waved about as the main scientific opposition, but has since been thoroughly refuted. Decades of studies in different cities in different states, involving millions of people, have concluded that there is a safe level of fluoride—one part-per-million—that can be added to water for enormous benefit to our teeth and oral health with little to no adverse effects.

Reason why OP's niece was given those pills is because Portland doesn't have a water fluoridation program.​

Last edited:

PikaDaDon

Thunderbolt Them Suckers
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I dont drink tap water so why would i want fluoride in my body.

Fluoride is poison, it's pathetic how they're doing that. I filter out fluoride in my water.

The fluoride in tap water is very small compared to other sources. So even if you don't drink tap water you're still getting fluoridated from the foods you eat. Also bear in mind that even though you don't drink tap water you still have to wash your hands, wash your face, and shower in tap water.

OsO

Souldier
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
:comeon:

Put this in the 'Conspiracy Theory' thread, please @BarNone.

Dudes are scared of nothing.

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com...y-portland-is-wrong-about-water-fluoridation/

Reason why OP's niece was given those pills is because Portland doesn't have a water fluoridation program.​

lol first off, you're stating the scientific study done by harvard has been "thoroughly refuted," and as evidence that the scientific study has been refuted, you link us to a blog post lol... just thought i'd point that out.

we've been through this topic time and time again and it always boils down to this: there are too many unknowns with water fluoridation for it to be in full practice. it costs the taxpayer money but does not come with enough in terms of concrete benefits to justify all the unknowns and/or the cost.

in fact there's a lot of evidence that fluoridated water causes fluorosis in small children. and pregnant women and babies are not even supposed to drink fluoridated water. but we pay to put it in the water supply? lol cmon sun anyone with half a brain can read what i just wrote and see its not logical or reasonable. why would i pay to put something in the water supply that is hazardous to my pregnant wife and young child? i cant even believe i have to explain that.

plus no one talks about the long terms affects and the accumulation of fluoride in one's system over a number of years. i think something you ingest into your body every single day of your life may start to accumulate after a while... and who is tracking these potentially dangerous levels of accumulation? no one.

plus for fluoride to be of maximum benefit it should applied externally to teeth (as in brushing) as opposed to swallowing... so why the fukk are they fluoridating the water people swallow and why are they giving children fluoride pills?

or what about an even more basic question, since people brush their teeth with fluoride daily what is the pressing need to put it in the water supply?

and btw here is a list of other professionals, many of them in the science and medical field, who want to end water fluoridation:
http://www.fluoridealert.org/researchers/professionals-statement/

i'll also leave this here:
http://scorecard.goodguide.com/chemical-profiles/pesticides.tcl?edf_substance_id=7681-49-4

at the end of the day you dont have to definitively believe that water fluoridation is bad, but you do have to recognize the obvious truth, which is that much more testing needs to be done before water fluoridation can be definitively labeled as beneficial or not. and until water fluoridation is undoubtedly labeled safe and beneficial then its too much of a risk to put into the water supply.

lol one more time: our publicly fluoridated water supply is not safe for small children or pregnant women. it's such an obvious unnecessary risk i cant even believe i have to say it.

aren't any of yall parents? stop blindly supporting shyt and use your fukking brain.

Crakface

Daps
Reppin
L.A
The fluoride in tap water is very small compared to other sources. So even if you don't drink tap water you're still getting fluoridated from the foods you eat. Also bear in mind that even though you don't drink tap water you still have to wash your hands, wash your face, and shower in tap water.
:ohhh: Well since you put it that way let me start drinking tap water. Studies have shown that fluoride in tap water has what effect on the skin?

Meta Reign

I walk the streets like, ''say something, n!gga!''
Daps
Reppin
Franklin ave.
lol first off, you're stating the scientific study done by harvard has been "thoroughly refuted," and as evidence that the scientific study has been refuted, you link us to a blog post lol... just thought i'd point that out.

we've been through this topic time and time again and it always boils down to this: there are too many unknowns with water fluoridation for it to be in full practice. it costs the taxpayer money but does not come with enough in terms of concrete benefits to justify all the unknowns and/or the cost.

in fact there's a lot of evidence that fluoridated water causes fluorosis in small children. and pregnant women and babies are not even supposed to drink fluoridated water. but we pay to put it in the water supply? lol cmon sun anyone with half a brain can read what i just wrote and see its not logical or reasonable. why would i pay to put something in the water supply that is hazardous to my pregnant wife and young child? i cant even believe i have to explain that.

plus no one talks about the long terms affects and the accumulation of fluoride in one's system over a number of years. i think something you ingest into your body every single day of your life may start to accumulate after a while... and who is tracking these potentially dangerous levels of accumulation? no one.

plus for fluoride to be of maximum benefit it should applied externally to teeth (as in brushing) as opposed to swallowing... so why the fukk are they fluoridating the water people swallow and why are they giving children fluoride pills?

or what about an even more basic question, since people brush their teeth with fluoride daily what is the pressing need to put it in the water supply?

and btw here is a list of other professionals, many of them in the science and medical field, who want to end water fluoridation:
http://www.fluoridealert.org/researchers/professionals-statement/

i'll also leave this here:
http://scorecard.goodguide.com/chemical-profiles/pesticides.tcl?edf_substance_id=7681-49-4

at the end of the day you dont have to definitively believe that water fluoridation is bad, but you do have to recognize the obvious truth, which is that much more testing needs to be done before water fluoridation can be definitively labeled as beneficial or not. and until water fluoridation is undoubtedly labeled safe and beneficial then its too much of a risk to put into the water supply.

lol one more time: our publicly fluoridated water supply is not safe for small children or pregnant women. it's such an obvious unnecessary risk i cant even believe i have to say it.

aren't any of yall parents? stop blindly supporting shyt and use your fukking brain.
Common sense. . . It will go ignored.

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Theological Noncognitivist Since Birth
Daps
Reppin
The Wrong Side of the Tracks
LeyeT said:

While we're just pointing out things, you neglected to read the entire post and don't understand what a meta-study is, especially when the results refute your opinion:​

First it should be noted that almost all of the studies reviewed were conducted in China (one was conducted in Iran) – not in the US. China had a limited fluoridation program for a time, and has had no fluoridation of drinking water since 2002. So why, then, are most of the studies from China?

There are many rural areas of China that have naturally high levels of fluoride in the well water. The studies were largely looking at this exposure. Two studies looked at fluoride exposure from inhaling smoke from coal burning. So the question is – how do these levels of exposure relate to the amount of fluoride being added to water in the US (because toxicity is always all about dose)? There was a lot of variability across the studies, but generally the high fluoride groups were in the 2-10 mg/L range, while the reference low fluoride groups were in the 0.5-1.0 mg/L range (not including the coal burning studies, which had much higher fluoride levels).

Also.....​

In other words – fluoridated water in the US has the same level of fluoride as the control or low fluoride groups in the China studies reviewed in the recent article, and the negative association with IQ was only found where fluoride levels were much higher – generally above EPA limits.

LeyeT said:

No. It actually boils down to you having absolutely NO proof of any deleterious effects from properly fluoridated drinking water so resort to grasping at straws to form an argument with no evidence to support it.​

LeyeT said:

Fluorosis is nothing more than stained teeth. If you consider that 'hazardous' then I'd advise you to buy purified air.​

LeyeT said:
plus no one talks about the long terms affects and the accumulation of fluoride in one's system over a number of years.

That's because after 80 years and thousands of studies, there are NONE.​

LeyeT said:

Fluoride pills are given to people in areas where there is no fluoride in the water and the fluoride you ingest actually helps keep your bones healthy as well as fighting cavities. In order to get a toxic dosage of fluoride from drinking water that is properly fluoridated, you'd have to drink about 10 gallons/day. You'd die from water intoxication before fluoride poisoning, though.​

LeyeT said:

It is easier and more cost-effective to put it in the water supply. There is no 'pressing need' to put it in since every city is able to vote as to whether or not they want fluoride in their water.​

LeyeT said:

This is a list of people who mostly don't practice dentistry and the medical fields are things such as acupuncturist, veterinarians, and optometrists.......:comeon:

LeyeT said:

You should have taken it with you since it actually confirms your fears are based on nonsense. Sodium fluoride is not listed in the 2010 Crop Protection Handbook, one of the primary references for pesticides. However, sodium fluoroacetate is listed as a rodenticide and sodium fluorosilicate is listed as an insecticide. I guess since they both have 'sodium' and 'fluor' in their names it was an honest mistake on the part of the CT crowd......:comeon:

LeyeT said:

You don't have to drink fluoridated water, nor do you have to allow it in your water supply. The obvious truth is you're scared of something that has been available for 80 years and not ONE documented case of any deleterious effect has been reported in that time from properly fluoridated water. The only issues occur in HIGH fluoride dosages above the EPA maximum. The 'study' you keep alluding to confirms that.​

Leyet said:

You're wrong. The water is absolutely safe at the EPA recommended fluoridation levels. What isn't is the DOSAGE of fluoride a child may receive due to the amount you can get from other sources outside of water/toothpaste. To put it another way: One Children's Tylenol is perfectly safe for a child, 100 of them is dangerous. You're far too old to be this naive and scared of fluoridated Liquid Life Energy™......:krs: