So picking the single after the album is released is the norm now ?

SnowflakesByTheOZ

Sorry, that's another B
Daps
I just saw the thread on Tyler The Creator picking Earfquake as the single and recently Khaled picked Just Us as the single for Father Of Asahd.

Isn't picking the single after the album is released kinda pointless ? Isn't the single supposed to be the record you're using to promote the album during the rollout ?

Rembrandt

the artist
Daps
Reppin
Villa Diodati
Nah, you go off streaming stats, see which songs are tracking the best before promotion and pick from there. Its actually a lot smarter. Earfquake was an obvious choice because there's already the video and its been the one song off the album with the most buzz.

You push that to an audience outside of early adopters and straight fans since singles are meant for radio, which is already behind on what's trending on the internet. With streaming services, the old idea of singles don't truly exist for a large portion of the fanbase. Singles are whatever we cling to first a lot of times.

Occasionally people push songs out first before albums but that requires confidence, imo. A lot of people's singles have been flopping when dropped too early.

Remember the Jay/bey/future song was technically the first single off khaleds album but it flopped and they reconfigured. They were probably hoping for that Nipsey Hussle song to take off but went with Sza because she's dropping new music really soon so it's matches and works for both

julesocean

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
a50e458f88a8da053040aa5456c9455c.png

Solomon Lurke

My Boys Dey Be Lurkin...
Daps
Reppin
The Shadows
Nah, you go off streaming stats, see which songs are tracking the best before promotion and pick from there. Its actually a lot smarter. Earfquake was an obvious choice because there's already the video and its been the one song off the album with the most buzz.

You push that to an audience outside of early adopters and straight fans since singles are meant for radio, which is already behind on what's trending on the internet. With streaming services, the old idea of singles don't truly exist for a large portion of the fanbase. Singles are whatever we cling to first a lot of times.

Occasionally people push songs out first before albums but that requires confidence, imo. A lot of people's singles have been flopping when dropped too early.

Remember the Jay/bey/future song was technically the first single off khaleds album but it flopped and they reconfigured. They were probably hoping for that Nipsey Hussle song to take off but went with Sza because she's dropping new music really soon so it's matches and works for both

Perfectly stated. Been trying to explain this to some of my homies for a while now but they don’t seem to grasp it.

SnowflakesByTheOZ

Sorry, that's another B
Daps
Perfectly stated. Been trying to explain this to some of my homies for a while now but they don’t seem to grasp it.

Na I didn't get it at first but then I thought about it. I think when we think single we automatically think about the rollout to the album but I guess the single really is the song they decide to use to push the album whether it's released before the album or with it

mag357

Superstar
Daps
It all depends... there isnt a right way.
Depends on the type of artist.
If hes independent or signed...
What kinda buzz they have already...
Any features on the album..
Alot of variables...
But usually ur pushing a single 1st...
That's like having a trailer for a movie come out after the movie has already came out.
U need something to promote the album, usually before the release

Sauce Dab

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It makes more sense to do it this way tbh. Don’t tell us what should be the single, we’ll tell you which song we gravitate towards the most and that’s what you push. That’s what Future said he started doing. He just seen what was getting the best reaction in clubs and he picked that

Sinister

Banned
Daps
Bush this shyt.

I already knew this thread was going to be in response to the Tyler thread.

Should have just been left as a comment.

OP is autism

Rembrandt

the artist
Daps
Reppin
Villa Diodati

Things change so fast, artists have to be more in tune with the business and metric side than ever before. Can't be totally off hands like how it used to be
Na I didn't get it at first but then I thought about it. I think when we think single we automatically think about the rollout to the album but I guess the single really is the song they decide to use to push the album whether it's released before the album or with it

Yeah, you got it. The timing of release matters less and less now unless you know you have a big single that's gonna go. See Drake and his shyt, but even he drops a lot of loosies and street singles to gauge where he should go. It's probably why I'm Upset didn't do anywhere near as well as nice for what, God's plan and the like. He was going off diplomatic immunity and the beef at the wrong time.

julesocean

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Things change so fast, artists have to be more in tune with the business and metric side than ever before. Can't be totally off hands like how it used to be

Yeah, you got it. The timing of release matters less and less now unless you know you have a big single that's gonna go. See Drake and his shyt, but even he drops a lot of loosies and street singles to gauge where he should go. It's probably why I'm Upset didn't do anywhere near as well as nice for what, God's plan and the like. He was going off diplomatic immunity and the beef at the wrong time.

Correct. Alot of teams have their set number of songs, and set order they want them to drop. It is not crucial to drop a single when the album comes out, but it's more important to keep your momentum going during rollout.

So say you have a song that is killing it 2 weeks before album drop and isn't slowing down. You ride that song into and past the album drop date until it fades. Then you move onto your next single. Or you have a song that is dying 1 week before drop date, put your next single out ASAP.

People who are dropping surprise albums or albums with no single, are not taking advantage of ANYTHING at all, and they either don't care about money or are just dumb.

Rembrandt

the artist
Daps
Reppin
Villa Diodati
People who are dropping surprise albums or albums with no single, are not taking advantage of ANYTHING at all, and they either don't care about money or are just dumb.

Only few can do it successful. Beyonce, Adele, Taylor Swift (maybe? her last single doesn't seem to be doing that well). Hell, even Drake has to get into "album mode".

But you're 100% right. Gotta keep the momentum flowing. That's the most important part if you still wanna catch streams and aren't just worried about first week numbers.