So Stalin knew about the nukes before Truman did? What an L. (Yes, this is a WW2 thread)

Daps
WW2 always fascinates me and I learned a lot about it over the years, surprise surprise, from the coli. Y'all are a bunch of heathen degenerates, but you know your history, I gotta give you that :ehh:

Anyway, I happened to be reading up about Truman and researching some things, and this has me rolling. From his wikipedia page:

Truman journeyed to Berlin for the Potsdam Conference with Joseph Stalin and the British leader Winston Churchill. He was there when he learned the Trinity test—the first atomic bomb—on July 16 had been successful. He hinted to Stalin that he was about to use a new kind of weapon against the Japanese. Though this was the first time the Soviets had been officially given information about the atomic bomb, Stalin was already aware of the bomb project—having learned about it through atomic espionage long before Truman did.

What an L. Imagine Truman just now finding out about the nukes himself and hitting Stalin with the "Yeah, we got this new weapon we about to try out on the Japs :smugfavre: "

And Stalin saying "oh okay :ohhh:" but in his head thinking ":unimpressed: you just found out about this, late boi, broke boi :childplease: I been knew about this, fool ass little boi :camby:"

:laff:

But anyway, sometimes I wonder what the world would look like if the US remained the only country to have nukes. We would have been the Last Superpower way earlier :wow:

Scustin Bieburr

Baby baybee baybee UUUGH
Daps
Even more interesting when you realize that Japan was already getting ready to surrender. The firebombings of their cities caused more damage overall and their navy was in shambles. They were trying to figure out how they could surrender with dignity.

Those bombs were dropped as a subliminal to the soviets, they wanted to tell them "the British, Spanish, Portuguese, Islamic and French empires are dead. The Germans tried it and lost. The Japanese tried it and lost. We got something for you if you get any ideas Russia" :ufdup:

Killed thousands to just prove they can. The equivalent of walking into a brawl and shooting 2 people then aiming the pistol at the strongest person there holding a knife.

I still have a hard time grasping just how big of a deal this was. 2 bombs did the equivalent damage of over two THOUSAND bombs. Like seeing someone in a full body cast in the hospital and asking the doctor "what happened?" And being told "he got punched once" your mind immediately goes to "if one punch could do that, what the fukk would happen if he was hit more than once"

zayk35

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Escondido California
Read the whole article. They didn't tell Truman about the nukes till the last possible minute. He was kept in the dark both as vice president and when he became president.
I always wondered if FDR would have dropped those bombs. He was kind of a wolf in sheep's clothing. But still had a seemingly good nature. Truman was threatening to use more nukes at the 1st sign of trouble

Bolzmark

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL
There’s a lot of interesting stuff about WWII, some of which is rarely mentioned.

Most people think the attack on Pearl Harbor started with the planes dropping bombs and torpedoes on the ships in the harbor. NOPE.

The attack on Pearl Harbor began almost an hour before that when about 5 Japanese subs were detected in U.S. waters. A destroyer(USS Ward) sank one of them. They reported the attack to the Admiral.

He did nothing.

An hour later the planes arrived and dropped the bombs that caused the scenes we have all seen on television. I believe this proves the U.S. let Pearl Harbor happen to rile up the American people and justify getting into WWII, which they had previously opposed.

Another story not talked about too often is Britain attacking French ships in 1940, although they were allies. The French had entered into some sucker agreement with Hitler. Britain was like to you need to turn over your fleet to us, because we don’t want the Nazis grabbing them and then using your ships against us. France said no. Britain attacked the ships, killing 1,297 French sailors.

Apparently France was gettin bytched out by both sides.