So Trump gotta a new NAFTA but Canada might kill it though

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
:lolbron:
The Truth About Trump’s ‘Tremendous’ New Trade Deal with Mexico

After months of fractious negotiations, President Donald Trump on Monday announced that his administration has reached an understanding with Mexico on a new 16-year trade deal to replace the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA).

“This is a tremendous thing,” Trump said from the Oval Office, adding that he’s scrapping the name NAFTA because it “has a lot of bad connotations” and instead is calling this deal “the United States-Mexico Trade Agreement.”

Among the key elements of the deal:

• It requires 75 percent of an automobile's value to be manufactured in North America, up from 62.5 percent under NAFTA.
  • It requires 40 percent to 45 percent of a car to be made by workers earning at least $16 an hour.
  • No new tariffs would be imposed on agricultural goods traded between the U.S. and Mexico, according to reports.

Though an agreement has been made with Mexico it has not been ratified with Mexico nor the US and Canada has not been a part of any of the negotiations. Steel and aluminum tariffs are still an issue.

Though this sounds like a boon to US workers, I wonder how this changes the immigration debate. It could be that the US starts handing out work visas to get cheaper labor while claiming to be following the rules. Will black auto workers and their pensions benefit from such an agreement?

Trump is trying to get the US and Mexican Congresses to ratify it before the new Mexican, leftist president gets sworn in. Because they are sure he'll change it. Plus, no deal with Canada has been made yet. Some Congress won't let the deal pass because Trump only had authority to do a trilateral deal, not a bilateral one. IOW, if Canada isn't on board, then the deal dies.

I wonder if Trudeau is petty enough and clever enough to let this deal die. I wonder where Mexico's self-interest lie.