So What Exactly is Wrong with "Social Justice"?

Shogun

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Knicks
I think the problem with the most recent brand of social justice activism is it's approach. These are often intelligent, educated people and if they were genuinely interested in making the world better it seems evident that attacking and shaming won't achieve that. It's basically the same as thinking terrorism will end if we bomb enough terrorists...innocents-be-damned. Rape will end if we shame enough raper culture perpetrators...innocents-be-damned. It's just not how people/society work/works.

I can't help but cringe when I see baby-one-percenters (on the most prestigious and expensive college campuses in the world) claiming to be: a) oppressed, and b) legitimate spokespeople for the oppressed.

There's this odd perception that being in an oppressed group (whether it be Muslims or otherkins) is a badge of honor, and incessantly tweeting about it is a self-affirming and, honestly, lazy way to brandish that badge. Truly changing society is incredibly hard work. Ripping off a few tweets and shaking paper on a stick at a rally is easy.

Last edited:

Maschine_Man

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Similarly saying that rape culture exists in our society is not saying society as a whole supports rape culture.

Do you deny racism because not all white people are racist and as a result American society does not have a white supremacist segregate?
Culture are social norms and behavior in a society. Something existing in a society doesn't make that existence a normal thing.
Murder happens? Are we in a murder culture?
Pedophilia happens are we in a pedophile culture?
See here is where consensus has its place in the argument.

Alpha Male

Spare me your daps
Daps
d46b79ed0038c7b90e04ce0dd2bcdcdc.jpg

Teen wins $8 million in sexual harassment case against Chipotle Mexican Grill
19-year-old girl wins multimillion-dollar lawsuit against Chipotle
Fox anchor Gretchen Carlson wins $20 million in Roger Ailes sexual harassment suit
Wall Street Intern Wins $18 Million in Epic Sexual Harassment Lawsuit
Woman wins $95 million in sexual harassment suit against ex-boss, Aaron's Rents
Woman wins $1.4 million sexual harassment suit against Eugene neurosurgeon

IF NO ONE CARES ABOUT SEXUAL HARASSMENT AND WE LIVE IN A RAPE CULTURE THEN WHY DIDN'T THESE CASES GET TOSSED OUT THE WINDOW!?!?

Alpha Male

Spare me your daps
Daps
Culture are social norms and behavior in a society. Something existing in a society doesn't make that existence a normal thing.
Murder happens? Are we in a murder culture?
Pedophilia happens are we in a pedophile culture?
See here is where consensus has its place in the argument.

They aren't interested in having a discussion. They just want to complain for daps and they get off insulting other ppl.

Won Won

Superstar
Daps
culture is something that we can observe and see

- Prison rape jokes
- countless rape kits sitting in rooms collecting dust
- victim blaming "she shouldn't have been dressed like that/out that late/drinking around guys"
- downplaying "boys will be boys!" "He should't have his life destroyed over a mistake!"
- all the college crimes that get swept under the rug by the school, police, etc.
- references in popular songs to drugging/fukking out of it women

Alpha Male

Spare me your daps
Daps
- Prison rape jokes- victim blaming "she shouldn't have been dressed like that/out that late/drinking around guys"

I guess Dave Chappelle and the entire audience are just insensitive toward women's issues. How dare anyone make a joke about this.

rappers have been demoralizing women and treating them like objects since the 90's.

Won Won

Superstar
Daps
I guess Dave Chappelle and the entire audience are just insensitive toward women's issues. How dare anyone make a joke about this.

rappers have been demoralizing women and treating them like objects since the 90's.

"Women dressed slutty doesn't mean they're slutty, but it's confusing for men."

So that excuses sexual assault?

The term "rape culture" has probably been around for 40 years, so what's your point?

Maschine_Man

Banned
Supporter
Daps
- Prison rape jokes
- countless rape kits sitting in rooms collecting dust
- victim blaming "she shouldn't have been dressed like that/out that late/drinking around guys"
- downplaying "boys will be boys!" "He should't have his life destroyed over a mistake!"
- all the college crimes that get swept under the rug by the school, police, etc.
Prison is the one subset of our society that actually does have a rape culture.

As for the rest of those examples, minus the last one, those don't show we live in a rape culture, those show that we live in a society that would rather protect certain individuals at the expense of others, and those crimes aren't EXCLUSIVE to rape, nor are those attitudes exclusive to men.(such as victim blaming)

and you prove my point further by mentioning "all the college CRIMES" that get swept under the rug or dismissed. This isn't rape culture, this is society allowing people to get away with bullshyt based on some type of privilege (athletics, race, socioeconomic standing, class, relationships, etc.)

Also references in popular songs about fukking and drugging women doesn't show how our society encourages rape culture, just like references in certain songs to show how our society encourages or thinks that murder, drug dealing, pimpin', etc. doesn't prove that we accept those as social norms as well.

Acknowledging something happens in our society doesn't equate to accepting that as a social norm.

Alpha Male

Spare me your daps
Daps

The term "rape culture" has probably been around for 40 years, so what's your point?

nothing excuses sexual assault.

if a woman is raped, or if a woman is violated... no one on this forum would make an excuse for the perpetrator.

you will not find this imaginary majority where rape is tolerated and women are deemed sex objects.

yes there are crazies out there, and yes there are isolated scenarios, but there is nothing that indicates america as a nation is trending towards "rape is ok".

rape is most definitely not ok and i'm willing to bet that 98% of the country would agree that rape is a crime worthy of harsh punishment.

please educate me on the facts if you believe i am wrong.

Maschine_Man

Banned
Supporter
Daps

it doesn't excuse sexual assault but it doesn't prove rape culture either.

Maschine_Man

Banned
Supporter
Daps
nothing excuses sexual assault.

if a woman is raped, or if a woman is violated... no one on this forum would make an excuse for the perpetrator.

you will not find this imaginary majority where rape is tolerated and women are deemed sex objects.

yes there are crazies out there, and yes there are isolated scenarios, but there is nothing that indicates america as a nation is trending towards "rape is ok".

rape is most definitely not ok and i'm willing to bet that 98% of the country would agree that rape is a crime worthy of harsh punishment.

please educate me on the facts if you believe i am wrong.
what many of these dudes fail to realize is that the occurrence of something happening does not mean that that occurrence is not only acceptable but is encouraged by society.

no one will deny that Rape and sexual assault happens in our society. and most would even agree with Rape and sexual assault is a very serious crime. which is why I can't understand how someone can even say that Rape culture exists.

Maybe ppl just don't understand what culture is, or are caught up in some bullshyt semantics. But ppl need to understand that the correct language and usage in matters like this is very important in dealing with these issues.