So you telling me the people who wrote the bible recalled every single thing Jesus/God told them word for word, no mistakes? **Katt Williams voice*

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
Going back to the OP question, it makes a lot more sense if you understand the historical context.

You're asking the question as if some one person heard Jesus talk in A.D. 30, then wrote about it 30 years later. But that's not how it worked. There was a massive movement of followers who were hanging on his every word from the beginning. Even the things that were initially said only to his closest disciples, those disciples would have been spreading those messages all over the place to all of their followers in the church within a couple years of first being told it. They lived in an oral era, hearing things as they were told and then repeating them to others was there M.O.

By the years 60-70, when the synoptic gospels were written, the original hearers of the words would have been getting up in age but most of them were still alive....and by then they would have told their stories THOUSANDS of times to hundreds of thousands of listeners. Many people would have heard the same stories, the same sermons, dozens and dozens of times by then.

When the book of Mark was written in A.D. 60, it would have been immediately rejected by the people of the Church if it contradicted what they already knew about what Jesus had said. It wasn't like it was new information to them, it was the stories they already knew well, the stories the church formed around. That was just when they decided to put it into writing as a single narrative before all the original witnesses had passed away.

And the fact that we have three different comprehensive accounts written within 20-40 years of the events, for an incident in the 1st century, is MUCH more contemporary than virtually anything else written about anyone in that time outside of emperors. Look at the major Jewish rabbis of the same era - many of the accounts of their words weren't written down systematically until much later than that. It's difficult to find another historical figure with as much contemporary writing about him as for Jesus.

p.s. - But also going back to O.P., I think it's perfectly reasonable to suggest that the dialogue isn't necessarily "word for word, no mistakes". What they would have is the essence of what Jesus said, the message, regardless of whether the exact wording was perfect. I do think, though, that the things where Jesus wanted them to get perfect, he probably repeated to them a lot of times.
Everything you said is speculation.

• Dap
Reactions: MMS

King_Sage

All Star
Daps
God is real

Matthew and John were there with Jesus. Took notes while Jesus was living, put it all together later on in life. I don't get the confusion here..

Mark (Peter's guy) and Luke (Paul's guy) more than likely were early followers, not desciples but passed on their written notes/interviews and could've been finished much later on.. Just like our documentaries are done today with raw footage, interviews but published later on. Doesn't make them less true...

Last edited:
  • Dap

bnew

Veteran
Daps
Then go do the hard work and spread the word, turn nonbelievers into believers, create a place of worship etc…

but now it's a crime to use the threat of violence/death and dispensing bodily harm to get new converts.:francis:

• Dap

MMS

Intensity Integrity Intelligence
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Auburn, AL
God is real

Matthew and John were there with Jesus. Took notes while Jesus was living, put it all together later on in life. I don't get the confusion here..

Mark (Peter's guy) and Luke (Paul's guy) more than likely were early followers, not desciples but passed on their written notes/interviews and could've been finished much later on.. Just like our documentaries are done today with raw footage, interviews but published later on. Doesn't make them less true...
I'm almost certain that Mark is the oldest gospel

and Matthew is the only narrative with the birth of Jesus

also to throw more fire on this discussion:
509df338d0ff3b00f4db3a1c51cc1900_w200.gif

The Vegetable Lamb of Tartary (Latin: Agnus scythicus or Planta Tartarica Barometz[1]) is a legendary zoophyte of Central Asia, once believed to grow sheep as its fruit. It was believed the sheep were connected to the plant by an umbilical cord and grazed the land around the plant. When all accessible foliage was gone, both the plant and sheep died.

MMS

Intensity Integrity Intelligence
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Auburn, AL

@Koichos

Genesis 16:1-6

1 Now Sarai Abram's wife bare him no children: and she had an handmaid, an Egyptian, whose name was Hagar.

2 And Sarai said unto Abram, Behold now, the Lord hath restrained me from bearing: I pray thee, go in unto my maid; it may be that I may obtain children by her. And Abram hearkened to the voice of Sarai.

3 And Sarai Abram's wife took Hagar her maid the Egyptian, after Abram had dwelt ten years in the land of Canaan, and gave her to her husband Abram to be his wife.

4 And he went in unto Hagar, and she conceived: and when she saw that she had conceived, her mistress was despised in her eyes.

5 And Sarai said unto Abram, My wrong be upon thee: I have given my maid into thy bosom; and when she saw that she had conceived, I was despised in her eyes: the Lord judge between me and thee.

6 But Abram said unto Sarai, Behold, thy maid is in thine hand; do to her as it pleaseth thee. And when Sarai dealt hardly with her, she fled from her face.

iPT237ab.jpg

To say the words :
Fall, serpent that came forth from the Earth !
Fall, flame that came forth from Nun !

Fall down !
Crawl away !

Utterance 233, § 237.