Soccer = Skill and Technique (USA Needs to Understand This)

hashmander

Hale End
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Arsenal
Nothing. Just saw this tweet and was reminded of this thread. Soccer players starting to look like American football players.

I honestly have no idea what he did for "manyoo". I don't follow the game that closely. I just upped it cuz my question wasn't answered 2 years ago.

Point is tho, when this thread was made it was implied that Lukaku was just athletic with average skills but he ended being one of the better players in the world...right?

no, he ended up being athletic with average skills.

and those guys don't look like american football players, well maybe if you limit american football to just cornerbacks. all those guys are under 180lbs.

THEREALBRAND

Eterno Menino
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Eu Sou O Segundo
Nothing. Just saw this tweet and was reminded of this thread. Soccer players starting to look like American football players.

I honestly have no idea what he did for "manyoo". I don't follow the game that closely. I just upped it cuz my question wasn't answered 2 years ago.

Point is tho, when this thread was made it was implied that Lukaku was just athletic with average skills but he ended being one of the better players in the world...right?

giphy.gif

beejus

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Red, White, & Stonewashed Blue since '94

So you admit to not really following the sport closely or haven't paid attention to what Lukaku has done the last few years, but you just assumed he's one of the best players in the world?

You're assumption is wrong. He's an ok player and has some moments of great, but he plays like he's wearing Timberlands with very poor touch.

boskey

Top Rankin
Daps
So you admit to not really following the sport closely or haven't paid attention to what Lukaku has done the last few years, but you just assumed he's one of the best players in the world?
The fact that as a non-follower I still heard a lot about him led me to believe he was highly regarded in the sport. And according google Manchester paid a lot of money for him, so somebody thought he was good at one point. You even admit he has moments of greatness so why are you mad?

Daps
America will never be top-shelf on the pitch because kids don't play the sport for fun. Anyone born in the 80's or 90's can agree with this: did you ever see a bunch of ADOS or white kids (no immigrants) just randomly go out to a soccer pitch and start playing "just because?" I've seen us play hoops, football...even baseball or running relay races against each other. The only kids that get out and just play soccer for fun are African-born/second generation black kids and Hispanic kids in the U.S.

The average suburban ADOS/white-American kid only plays soccer as part of a league. In hoops, a lot of the cool moves you learn come from unorganized fooling around on the blacktop. Soccer is much the same way. Any good coach can teach you tactics, fitness and strategy. What they can't teach you is 'feel' and 'touch.' That's why the American teams are always super fit, fairly quick and athletic but don't really have a feel for the game the way other teams do. It would be like taking young Adrian Peterson or Usain Bolt and putting them on an NBA court during Game 1 of the NBA Finals. No matter how athletic they are, they'd look completely lost out there and be a liability on offense AND defense.

Having said that......if soccer became ingrained in our culture, I think we'd have a world class side for the men's national team. If our freak athletes start playing soccer from an early age and they live/breathe/eat soccer like kids in other countries AND THEN receive top-notch training, we'd dominate. Pretty much any point guard or cornerback/safety would be ideal in terms of size/speed/change of direction etc. Again though, the key is being fully immersed in the sport from the jump. Not sure we'll ever have that level of commitment in our culture.

hashmander

Hale End
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Arsenal
The fact that as a non-follower I still heard a lot about him led me to believe he was highly regarded in the sport. And according google Manchester paid a lot of money for him, so somebody thought he was good at one point. You even admit he has moments of greatness so why are you mad?
FixedQuestionableAmoeba.gif

MN Fats

Pro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The U.S. needs to understand soccer = skill and technique....why?
Virtually nobody here gives a fukk.
shyt...9 outta 10 people would rather go bowling.