Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Just did the first one. Fully remote (prefered a hybrid in NYC, but I can make it work). I don't wanna say how I feel, because everytime I feel good, I never get an offer, lol.

But it was an interesting technical interview, where we the coding challenge was a jupyter notebook where I answered typical RDB questions, but using python's Pandas library. Didn't breeze through it, cause im a slow programmer, but answered all the questions.

Other interviews lined up next week. I'll keep track of the code challenges that come up

Mike809

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx
i pretty much started my internship project today. Its involves both backend and frontend stuff.
Fetching some info from github and other sources , and then displaying it in a friendly user way.

Dont have much experience on Figma , but im going to try to sketch something over the weekend to show on monday.

Daps
Just did the first one. Fully remote (prefered a hybrid in NYC, but I can make it work). I don't wanna say how I feel, because everytime I feel good, I never get an offer, lol.

But it was an interesting technical interview, where we the coding challenge was a jupyter notebook where I answered typical RDB questions, but using python's Pandas library. Didn't breeze through it, cause im a slow programmer, but answered all the questions.

Other interviews lined up next week. I'll keep track of the code challenges that come up

Bro, why do you want a hybrid when you can work fully remote? :dwillhuh:

Mike809

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx
My company had an on-site today( and until friday )for all the engineers, so as a intern I got to meet most of the guys I work with. I'm a pretty sociable person so I got along with all of them and they pretty much talked about giving me a full time offer.

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Had another tech interview. Good coding question that wasn't on the leetcode google drive list. I fukked it up, but I had fun, lol.

Pretty much had to implement a t9 keypad solution (Problem and solution video here: )

I knew there was dfs and recursion to be implemented here, but then I kept thinking of going straight for the most optimal solution, instead of getting any solution working. Man I'm mad at myself, but recursion/dfs and some prefix comparison would have been good. I know how to solve that now and others similar to it. Grids = dfs

I do enough of these interviews, I'll know enough to get through the next one, lol. Literally brute forcing the interview process, lol

Last edited:

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Another Data Engineer interview today. Got positive feedback from the interviewer, so hopefully that translates into the next round of interviewing. Probably one of the easier coding challenges I had:

1st question was SQL. Given a bunch of tables (sample data from their system) find all records that match a criteria. Lets say, they have a class table, a student table, and then a student/class link table. They wanted to print student id and student name for all students who took Professor X's Calculus 101 course

Simple SQL stuff. The tricky part was checking that keys between tables lined up and that you don't get lazy with the WHERE clause, because Professor X has multiple courses and Calculus 101 is taught by multiple professors

2nd question was super simple. Didn't need any algorithms. Just a loop from 1 to 100 printing out the number and 'A' when its amultiple of 3, 'B' when its a multiple of 5, and 'AB' when a multiple of both.

The main part is embellishing a bit on tool experience, because I didn't 100% lineup with some of the questions.. but i've seen some of the implementations before :troll:

If I see any new things come up in the tech portion, I'll post it.

Daps
I've been remote since 2017, and I realized I can literally stay in my house all year. Its socially not healthy for me, and I need to start building out my network a bit.

I never responded to this, bro. My bad.

But dude, you're living my dream. If I had a good paying programming job, forget an office. Id be living life on the road as a digital nomad. Traveling and working. As long as I have my laptop and an internet connection, I'd be good.

That's just me though :hubie:

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
I never responded to this, bro. My bad.

But dude, you're living my dream. If I had a good paying programming job, forget an office. Id be living life on the road as a digital nomad. Traveling and working. As long as I have my laptop and an internet connection, I'd be good.

That's just me though :hubie:
Yea, my friend tells me the same thing, if he worked remote, he would never be stateside, lol. Student loans whoopin my ass tho, so I can only dream at the moment

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Can't believe I missed contributing/participating in the thread for some of the docker posts. Man do I like docker more than having to deal with the overhead of virtual machines. Also, WSL2 with windows terminal make windows much more pleasant, lol
Just found out about Windows Terminal today. Pairs nicely w/ WSL2 for sure

null

Daps
Reppin
UK,DE,MUFC,DMV
Just found out about Windows Terminal today. Pairs nicely w/ WSL2 for sure

that way the dark side lies
19929-4adcd55e6a4d7d34dec1aa9fc695b874.jpg

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
A lot of 'getting the job' comes down to just persistence. I've done several interviews where I thought I did very well only to get ghosted or denied. Then the job that I had a bad interview is the one I end up getting. Realistically, as a senior, you might have to do 5 to 10 interviews to really start getting the pay you want. As a junior, you will have to do much more to get in the door. Don't get discouraged with rejection.

Daps
A lot of 'getting the job' comes down to just persistence. I've done several interviews where I thought I did very well only to get ghosted or denied. Then the job that I had a bad interview is the one I end up getting. Realistically, as a senior, you might have to do 5 to 10 interviews to really start getting the pay you want. As a junior, you will have to do much more to get in the door. Don't get discouraged with rejection.

I did so bad when I interviewed for my apprenticeship that I honestly thought there was no way I would get it. I was shocked when they called me back.

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Man, I thank you for this post, because as I've been interviewing, i've been getting down on myself not getting any jobs. The positive, though, is that I think I have my resume right, as now i have to stop applying for a bit, since I have enough interviews to take up 3 weeks (while still working).

One of the cool things I noticed is that going through all the Leetcode/Hackerrank code samples and learning them, I start thinking about algorithms a bit more. Its like my brain is in a new mode or something