Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

EzekelRAGE

Superstar
Daps
Past 3ish days I been watching/coding along to this in their scrimba thing. This course is free on scrimba too btw.

First off, that scrimba stuff is some nice ass tech. The interactiveness of it is crazy. Lessons are like Screensharing but you can jump in anytime
and mess with stuff. When you get done messing with stuff, just hit play again and vid picks up like nothing happened.

Second, React is fukking amazing, especially compared to something like EJS. Granted, this is just the introductory course but still I'm really liking it. Only went over SPA stuff. No routing. Also useEffect and useStates are the only hooks the course goes over. Even then those hooks seem like gamechangers to me.

Currently working on the solo assignment given at the end of the course. Basically a quiz app. User gets five questions fetched from an online trivia db. Clicks what they think are the right answers, then can check the answers.

Had to code it from scratch with only these images to go by:
f1d1e4a8641446dbb01d2956fd266ead.png

Started on the questioning part and this is what I have so far:
97fd6b6bd10d7ab4c0db8cef2407704f.png
Questions and answers are in a useState. That allowed me to pass props to the answer component that let users click their choice. Formatting for the fetched data was kinda trash, so had to customize it a bit to my liking(adding ids for stuff, giving each answer an "isClicked" property that is defaulted to false.)

Logic for Clicking Answer: Used nanoid to give each question and answer their own id. When an answer is clicked a function runs that takes the qid and the aid. It finds the question and looks at all the answers it holds. Filters thru each answer and if it doesnt match the answerId that was clicked, sets it "isClicked" property to false. When it finds the one that was clicked, it changes it's "isClicked" value to true. I have conditional styling setup, so when that click happens, the bg changes to that clicked answer.

Now I just need to put the logic in for checking answers and playing again. Both those should be simple compared to what I already did.

Used the Fisher Yates shuffle thing to shuffle the answers before sending it to questions State. Otherwise all the answers wouldve been in the same spot.

Last edited:

The Fade

I don’t argue with niqqas on the Internet anymore
Daps
i know the basics of python.. should I start doing projects?? or just get on leetcode and run drills?

or should I supplement it with some web development skills

The Fade

Daps
leetcode and readup on algorithms. try to get a job or internship and then figure out where you want to fit in, UI, product or infra
If I don’t know how to do something on leetcode I just google it right?

69 others

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If I don’t know how to do something on leetcode I just google it right?

sorry, let's back up a little bit. What stage are you in right now? in school, graduating soon, experienced and looking to break into the field? have interviews lined up?

The Fade

Daps
sorry, let's back up a little bit. What stage are you in right now? in school, graduating soon, experienced and looking to break into the field? have interviews lined up?
done an online course, did some projects from a book. I want to break in, but I know I need more refinement and I need portfolio projects. No interviews.

69 others

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
done an online course, did some projects from a book. I want to break in, but I know I need more refinement and I need portfolio projects. No interviews.

got it. not sure what your course covered but you should at least know some of the fundamentals of programming and computer science. data structures, basic algos, functions, methods, classes, data validation, errors/exceptions, testing, memory, etc.

Look at the firms you might be interested in working at and get an idea of their interview process. not everyone does leetcode interviews. but if you interested in FAANG firms or certain startups definitely leetcode.

if you're going to leetcode and serious about it, get the premium version. Premium give you access to learning modules on different topics which i think is worth it.

Rev Leon Lonnie Love

damned mine eyes, DAMNED mine eyes!!
Daps
Why does concurrency and distributed computing have to be so hard in practice? Code be looking all :ohlawd: but when you finally run it on the production pipeline, all sorts of performance problems start popping up out of nowhere. Been hacking away at these issues for daaaays now. Im bout ready to accept this L :mjcry:

null

Daps
Reppin
UK,DE,MUFC,DMV
Why does concurrency and distributed computing have to be so hard in practice? Code be looking all :ohlawd: but when you finally run it on the production pipeline, all sorts of performance problems start popping up out of nowhere. Been hacking away at these issues for daaaays now. Im bout ready to accept this L :mjcry:

which language(s)?

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Well.... just finished the screening call. I'm going to the next phase. :wow:
What type of screening was it?

In general, I wonder if we can make a TheColi wiki with all the knowledge dropped in this thread. I think we have a lot of good knowledge dropped by everyone in this thread, but in this format its not the easiest for anybody to look up.

Daps
What type of screening was it?

In general, I wonder if we can make a TheColi wiki with all the knowledge dropped in this thread. I think we have a lot of good knowledge dropped by everyone in this thread, but in this format its not the easiest for anybody to look up.

When you say what kind, what do you mean? Are you asking for the name of the company? :jbhmm: