South Bend woman wants police to pay for damage from mistaken raid

bnew

Veteran
Daps

South Bend woman wants police to pay for damage from mistaken raid​

WVPE 88.1 Elkhart/South Bend | By Jeff Parrott

Published December 18, 2023 at 4:34 PM EST

Amy Hadley, with her daughter Kayla and son Noah, in front of their Calvert Street home where police conducted a raid in June 2022. Hadley is suing the city of South Bend, St. Joseph County and their police departments for damage done to the home during the raid.

Provided/Institute For Justice
Amy Hadley, with her daughter Kayla and son Noah, in front of their Calvert Street home where police conducted a raid in June 2022. Hadley is suing the city of South Bend, St. Joseph County and their police departments for damage done to the home during the raid.

A South Bend woman is suing the city and St. Joseph County for damages their police officers caused to her home during a SWAT team raid.

Amy Hadley’s 15-year-old son Noah thought the police officer shouting commands through a bullhorn was part of his video game, until he heard him say his street address.

Noah then walked out of his home with his hands up in the 1800 block of East Calvert Street on that day, June 10, 2022. Police cuffed him and took him to the police station.

Amy Hadley wasn’t home at the time but a neighbor saw the SWAT officers gathering and called her. She says police then raided their home, shattering windows with tear-gas cannisters, throwing flash-bang grenades through the front door, entering the house, and ransacking it.

Police ultimately located the suspect a few hours later in another part of the city.

Representing Hadley is the Arlington, Virginia-based Institute for Justice, a national libertarian public interest law firm.

The constitutional law firm also is helping a Los Angeles printer whose equipment was damaged during a police raid, a Texas woman whose home was wrecked during a SWAT raid, and a Texas farmer whose fields have flooded because of a highway project.

The Institute for Justice says that South Bend police believed the suspect had been accessing social media from inside Hadley’s home. She has insisted neither she nor her children had any connection to him.

Hadley’s homeowner’s insurance did not cover all the costs of repairs, leaving her with at least $16,000 in costs to pay out of her own pocket. The firm says Hadley has asked the city and county to compensate her for the damages, but they’ve been unresponsive.

A South Bend police spokeswoman declined WVPE’s interview request, saying the department does not comment on pending litigation.

Hadley’s attorney in the case, Marie Miller, said Hadley is a medical assistant and was not available for comment Monday. Here’s what Hadley says in a video on the group’s website.

"I don't want to stay in this house," Hadley says. "Every time the door knocks I get scared. I just want justice for people who are in the same predicament as my family."

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
it’s crazy that they’re not obligated to smdh

I remember reading a book that had all types of short horror stories involving police/SWAT raids…families would be lucky to even get an apology…shyt is fukked up :francis:

DonB90

Superstar
Daps
You live in democracy. You should hold your elected officials accountable to your needs and wants. Thats all there is to it really. All that hooplah not even 5 years ago about police accountability and what came of it exactly :patrice:

BaggerofTea

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The justice department is supposed to intervene in these situations and investigate these abuses thoroughly