South Dakota tribal leader joins call to remove Mount Rushmore ahead of Trump visit

Afro

Student of life
Supporter
Daps
Mount Rushmore: Cheyenne Sioux River Tribe chairman calls for removal

"We are now being forced to witness the lashing of our land with pomp, arrogance and fire hoping our sacred lands survive," Frazier said. "This brand on our flesh needs to be removed and I am willing to do it free of charge to the United States, by myself if I must."

Oglala Sioux President Julian Bear Runner said last week that he also believed the monument should be removed, calling it "a great sign of disrespect."

The monument is carved in the Black Hills, land that was given to Native American tribes through the Fort Laramie Treaty of 1868 before miners seeking gold came to the area in 1874, demanding the protection of the U.S. Army. The Indian Appropriations Act of 1876 cut off all rations until the Lakota ended hostilities and ceded the Black Hills to the federal government.

The U.S. Court of Claims found in 1979 that the Sioux Nation was entitled to $17.1 million in compensation due to the federal government's seizure of the Black Hills. The following year, the U.S. Supreme Court decided 8-1 that the federal government had violated the Fifth Amendment and that the tribes were entitled to compensation in United State v. Sioux Nation of Indians. The tribes declined the compensation because it would legally end their demand for the Black Hills to be returned to them.

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
Get rid of that shyt.

:camby:

That mountain was beautiful before it was defiled with the faces of white supremacists and slaveowners.

40cdb5ac17ed09b799e6d3559fbd1ca9.jpg

newworldafro

DeeperThanRapBiggerThanHH
Daps
Reppin
In the Silver Lining
Add Obama to Mt. Rushmore
:obama:

Nah. They would rather destroy than add anything.

:yeshrug:

We basically won't have any m8numents because there will always be an angle that is uncouth, unsavory, or outright despicable about historical figures if you look close enough and/or based on contemporary social norms.

They just took down Haile Selaasie monument somewhere.

I told this website what waa coming with these statue takedown :laff:....there will nothing left...cause everybody can find something to be offended about