Speaking of male R&B - 95-01 appreciation

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Joey Badass sampling Dave Hollister sent me down a hole this weekend, male r&b is so trash right now (and for the past decade really), yet it had a GOAT era from 95/96-01 (I said A GOAT era, not THE GOAT or the ONLY GOAT for the 70's soul heads or early 90's fans)

At the top of the mainstream pack: R Kelly, Usher, Ginuwine
Topping the alt/neo-soul pack: D'Angelo and Maxwell

Other mainstream/contemporary: Jon B, Joe, Case, Tyrese, Dave Hollister, Donnell Jones, Carl Thomas, Brian McKnight, Kenny Lattimore, Avant, Jahiem, Keith Sweat comeback album
Other neo-soul: Musiq Soulchild, Bilal, Chico Debarge

Groups/duos: Jodeci's last project, reunion joint from NE, 112, Next, Jagged Edge, Dru Hill, K-ci & JoJo, LSG

:banderas: and :mjcry:

Last edited:

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
I said this time and time again and in the past a lot of people said I was stuck in the past and that there was still great R&B music out there :mjlol:

Glad to see people are finally coming around and waking up to the bullshyt :ehh:
From 16-19 there was some very good r&b being made, of course it wasn't getting on the radio nor was it the dominant sound, but since then, we've regressed. Still some dudes making dope music like Sir, Lucky Day, and Buddy when he's singing, but overall, it's sad out here :francis:

casa bey

Veteran
Daps
From 16-19 there was some very good r&b being made, of course it wasn't getting on the radio nor was it the dominant sound, but since then, we've regressed. Still some dudes making dope music like Sir, Lucky Day, and Buddy when he's singing, but overall, it's sad out here :francis:

That time period is such a blur to me, so much of the music just sounds the same and honestly, I just stuck with listening to a lot of R&B songs and albums from the 70's and 80's.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
I said this time and time again and in the past a lot of people said I was stuck in the past and that there was still great R&B music out there :mjlol:

Glad to see people are finally coming around and waking up to the bullshyt :ehh:
I don’t see anyone saying there isn’t still great R&B. There’s plenty in the 00s and early to mid 10s

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
That time period is such a blur to me, so much of the music just sounds the same and honestly, I just stuck with listening to a lot of R&B songs and albums from the 70's and 80's.
Well just say that you are out of touch instead of hating

casa bey

Veteran
Daps
I don’t see anyone saying there isn’t still great R&B. There’s plenty in the 00s and early to mid 10s

This thread is reminiscing on a special time in R&B music and I've seen other recent threads (one even made by you recently) reflecting back on when R&B music was better and how it's now different/

Well just say that you are out of touch instead of hating

I'm fine with being out of touch, because most of the new stuff I do hear, sounds like ass. Just straight up bullshyt.
The vast majority of these new cats can't sing and have no talent.

Why does it have to hating if i I don't like it?

If it doesn't sound good to me, it doesn't me that I'm hating

You get your panties all up in a bunch whenever someone critiques whatever new bullshyt is the flavor of the month.

The vast majority of this new shyt sounds like straight up ass and calling it for what it is, is what it is.

Doesn't mean that I'm hating at all.