Spotlight "DualSense" a feature rich controller that is a Revolution and Evolution

backbreaker65

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The Passage of Time
Wonder how much of this is just hype.

I remember Xbox and devs saying similar shyt about the Xbox one controller early on. Didn’t really amount to much.
Xbox is still using the same ole spinning rumble motors in the grips and triggers, nothing new, that's why it was nothing. DualSense is using something far more advanced, that is why they changed the name from shock to sense.

Waldo Geraldo Faldo

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cloud
ya I’m trying to wrap my mind around it and it just sounds like a controller w/ more intense rumbling...can’t wait to get it in hand and see for myself tho

Yeah, in my mind this is some I’m going to have to experience to see the difference.

It supposed to be akin to the haptic feedback from our smartphones but I don’t play games on my phones aside for puzzle games.

I can see it being something dope but unsure as well.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
DiRT 5 PS5 Has Option For 120FPS, DualSense Controller 'Is Great' Says Dev - PlayStation Universe
The DualSense is great. When we got the tech demo up and running the whole studio came around and everyone wanted a go. It offers something new and unique and we felt it fits really well for racing, especially for a game with such diversity of content and cars
I VIVIDLY remember a few clowns trying to take me to task when I said the PS5 will offer the same damn framerates as games on Xbox Series X and that the so called power gap is just marketing jargon meant to exacerbate actual real world differences.

I was shyt on, said I was defending PS5 and when I posted actual comparisons showing games that have 60fps trailers on PS5 as compared to 30fps on PS5, that message was ignored because I wasn't parroting the so called narrative they are desperately hanging onto. The differences won't be staggering, it'll be a difference but not 30 vs 60fps differences or 120 vs 60fps differences. More so resolution and maybe graphical fidelity.

DaSk8D00D

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Yeah, in my mind this is some I’m going to have to experience to see the difference.

It supposed to be akin to the haptic feedback from our smartphones but I don’t play games on my phones aside for puzzle games.

I can see it being something dope but unsure as well.

If you’ve played with Joycons and games that utilize it, you can kind of get an idea of it feels like. Basically the controller can make more “distinct” vibration patterns instead of your standard rumble. Can make things more immersive like shooting a shotgun that makes a specific buckshot-type rumble with each pull of the trigger verses a machine gun that will make a drawn-out, rapid-fire kind of vibration that will literally feel different in your hands. Describing it through text doesn’t really do the comparison justice, but it’ll be a notable difference

backbreaker65

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The Passage of Time
Returnal to Take Advantage of PS5 Hardware and Peripherals for Relentless and Immersive Gameplay
While the no loading times sound quite the fun factor already, the new DualSense Controller also offers quite the immersive experience for the players. Changing shooting styles in the middle of the quick-paced gameplay is done easier with the controller’s adaptive trigger. Also with the haptic feedback, they can feel their way through their arsenal while the alien horde swarms them.

backbreaker65

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The Passage of Time
If you’ve played with Joycons and games that utilize it, you can kind of get an idea of it feels like. Basically the controller can make more “distinct” vibration patterns instead of your standard rumble. Can make things more immersive like shooting a shotgun that makes a specific buckshot-type rumble with each pull of the trigger verses a machine gun that will make a drawn-out, rapid-fire kind of vibration that will literally feel different in your hands. Describing it through text doesn’t really do the comparison justice, but it’ll be a notable difference

The Dualsense use voice coil actuators not linear resonant actuators found in the joy cons and phones. This is a coil and a magnet that can vibrate depending on how the power is pushed through the actuator. These are a lot faster than rumble motors, giving it a lot more precision in the vibration. It can also vary in vibration frequency and is akin to the way a speaker works, just not as much range. So then devs can actually "play" a waveform (which is akin to the way sound works) through the haptics and you will feel the "sound". Sound simply being vibration and all.

The speaker in the DualSense is supposed to be much better this time too, so combining the haptics and speaker should mean you will feel sounds and vibrations as though it's a real object. (You will still get the same effect using headphones, it just won't sound like the sound is coming from the controller, but the vibration will.

Also as a side note, the adapter triggers are not part of this system. They will actually add resistance to the triggers making it either harder or easier to pull the trigger. This combined with the haptics and speaker will make for some very interesting gameplay.

Imagine you equip a chainsaw, the sound comes from your controller speaker and it vibrates like a chainsaw and the trigger is easy to push as you go through the skin, but then gets harder as you go through bone.

MarcP

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They always hype this shyt and then it ends up just being a novelty in like 3 launch games then forgotten about for the next 6 years of the generation.

YaThreadTrashB!

Superstar
Daps
They always hype this shyt and then it ends up just being a novelty in like 3 launch games then forgotten about for the next 6 years of the generation.
This is different for Sony

They have been using the same rumble system since the DS 1

backbreaker65

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The Passage of Time
How Bugsnax Works on PS5
Being a game coming so early in the life of the PS5, Bugsnax is aiming to take advantage of many of the new features the console’s controller, the DualSense, introduces.

“Previously on pretty much any console that has vibration or rumble, it's a nice feature that sometimes can make things more immersive, but I haven't felt anything quite as intricate and sensitive as the DualSense's haptic feedback,” Tibitoski said.

“In our game, being in first person, running on different terrain, jumping in and out of water or running into bugsnax, you can feel the difference between running on grass versus running in water versus running on sand or snow. There's weather in our game and if there's a thunderstorm and things of that nature, you can feel where the sound is coming from through the vibration.

In addition to using the DualSense’s speaker to play the sounds various bugsnax make,Young Horses is also using the DualSense’s adaptive triggers in the process of trapping bugsnax.

“[We’re] even using the light on the controller to display how endanger you are of a bugsnak escaping from a trap. We're also using the adaptive triggers,” Tibitoski said. “Different traps have different functionalities and some of those are best exhibited through, tension in those triggers or rumble in them to make you feel like you're really using them

Bugsnax Devs on Using the PS5 DualSense, the Mysterious Story and More - IGN