Star Wars Episode I vs Episode II: Which one is truly the WOAT?

Which is the WOAT?

• Episode I: The Phantom Menace

Votes: 54 52.9%
  • Episode II: Attack of the Clones

Votes: 29 28.4%
  • Neither, I liked both

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • They were both equally horrible

Votes: 12 11.8%

• Total voters
Daps
Reppin
NULL
tumblr_inline_nzzra0Z31m1rd33wt_500.gif

3e1bc07657345418740c0e1605812285.jpg

159009283_1b1855.gif

Darth Maul, the Pod Race and seeing Obi in his Prime > Anything in Episode II

Thinking about it, I actually feel you on this.
True, Palpatine trying to kill the Jedi in the opening act makes no sense (When it would further his plans more to have his people tell the Jedi there would be no negotiations and that they were going to invade Naboo, so the Jedi can inform the Senate and create more fear, leading to a vote of no confidence in the other dude). Jar Jar is the WOAT Star Wars character. The R2D2 shield generator scene was pointless (they don't get hit again after he fixes it, lol). Anakin building C3PO makes no sense. The concept of Midichlorians demystified the Force.The movie didn't really need Qui Gon, and he was lowkey kind of a scumbag the way he blatantly took advantage of people with his powers.

All in all, Episode 1 sucked. But it still had a few redeeming factors...
*Podracing
*Darth Maul
* it was the only prequel that didn't ruin Yoda's character by having him fight
* parts of the movie were actually filmed on location instead of green-screening EVERYTHING
* While the execution left a LOT to be desired, seeing Darth Vader start off as angel faced kid in the beginning wasn't that bad of an idea.

Clones was just wack to me. The ridiculous assassination attempt, Obi Wan trusting a whole army based on this obviously sketchy bounty hunter, the horrible love story, Padme falling for this obvious psychopath, the cheapening of Yoda's character, too much CGI, it was pure trash. The cartoon was the only really good thing to come out of Episode 2. (and maybe Mace Windu)

Last edited:

Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Drink wolf cola
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
True, Palpatine trying to kill the Jedi in the opening act makes no sense (When it would further his plans more to have his people tell the Jedi there would be no negotiations and that they were going to invade Naboo, so the Jedi can inform the Senate and create more fear, leading to a vote of no confidence in the other dude). Jar Jar is the WOAT Star Wars character. The R2D2 shield generator scene was pointless (they don't get hit again after he fixes it, lol). Anakin building C3PO makes no sense. The concept of Midichlorians demystified the Force.The movie didn't really need Qui Gon, and he was lowkey kind of a scumbag the way he blatantly took advantage of people with his powers.

*Podracing
*Darth Maul
* parts of the movie were actually filmed on location instead of green-screening EVERYTHING
* While the execution left a LOT to be desired, seeing Darth Vader start off as angel faced kid in the beginning wasn't that bad of an idea.

Clones was just wack to me. The ridiculous assassination attempt, Obi Wan trusting a whole army based on this obviously sketchy bounty hunter, the horrible love story, Padme falling for this obvious psychopath, the cheapening of Yoda's character, too much CGI, it was pure trash. The cartoon was the only really good thing to come out of Episode 2. (and maybe Mace Windu)
I agree. I like races and seeing maul fight two guys at once is pretty beast. Filming on set helps a ton too. A badly written love story hurts a film so badly.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly

*Podracing
*Darth Maul

The podracing scene was too long and detracted from the pace.
How does Anakin building C-3PO not make sense? It affected nothing.
Qui-Gonn being scum was the reason he wasn't on the Council. He did the dirty work the others wouldn't/couldn't do.
I had a theory about midichlorians in the other thread. Basically, my theory is that they have to have a measuring stick of identifying Force-sensitives to train to become Jedi. They're not gonna train everyone, so the midichlorian count is like the IQ test of Jedi. It doesn't mean anything except that you have a high count. You still have to be trained to wield it.

Obi Wan didn't trust the clones based on Jango. He trusted that the clones were approved by Sifo-Dyas, who foresaw that they would need them . Jango as a template was only for his physical prowess.

I think that Ep I dragged in too many places (podracing, Jar Jar's introduction), the invasion at the palace. I do think that Jar Jar as a character, was just a sign of the times. All of the sci-fi movies that target kids now have that over-bumbling comedic character. He is strictly for the kids. They transferred that role to R2 & C-3PO for the other 2. Hell, you see what they've done to Michaelangelo for recent Ninja Turtle stuff?

Daps
Reppin
NULL
How does Anakin building C-3PO not make sense? It affected nothing.

If you were nine and knew how to build droids by yourself, wouldn't you want to build something more piff than C3PO? I know I would. :heh:

The issue with that is that 3PO is bumbling, inept, and next to useless outside of translating. IIRC, Anakin said that he built 3PO to help around the house... But Threepio can't even straighten his arms, bend over all of the way, or go up and down stairs. How is he going to help with chores? :dahell:

I felt like the midichlorian stuff was unnecessary and ruined the mystery that made the force so cool. Giving it a plausible scientific explanation really defeats the purpose IMO, when the force felt like something that was built up to be beyond human knowledge and understanding.

There was also a lot of confusing stuff surrounding the creation of the clones. The Kaminoans said that Sifo Dyas ordered the creation of the clones. Mace says that they were ordered without the permission of the council. We also never find out who erased the files on Kamino from the Jedi data banks without permission, and according to Yoda, only a Jedi could have done it. Was it Dooku before be turned? Was Sifo Dyas low key going rogue before he died? None of this ever got fully cleared up or confirmed, as far as I remember. There's probably a legit plausible explanation in the books or some other spinoff. (If so, it should have been in the movie) If I'm wrong though, cool :ehh:

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
I started the prequels a day ago. Finished these 2 and Clones is the WOAT Star Wars film, so far.

-so much shyt that had me :dahell:

-terrible dialogue

-dude playing Anakin was fukkin horrible.

Ep 1 wasn't as bad as people made it out to be.

After watching 5/6 films, I'm not a fan of the franchise. I'll finish the final 3 just so I can say I've seen them. Prob watch the new one on bootleg.

Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Drink wolf cola
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
I started the prequels a day ago. Finished these 2 and Clones is the WOAT Star Wars film, so far.

-so much shyt that had me :dahell:

-terrible dialogue

-dude playing Anakin was fukkin horrible.

Ep 1 wasn't as bad as people made it out to be.

After watching 5/6 films, I'm not a fan of the franchise. I'll finish the final 3 just so I can say I've seen them. Prob watch the new one on bootleg.
Clones got several razzie nominations it was so badly written and acted, not to mention all the fukking green screen. It may have been even worse than phantom menace, and that's really saying something given how bad that was. Phantom menace was a mess too. The writing was atrocious to an extent I've never seen. At no point does the film ever establish a main character, and many characters act in a way that's contradictory to their goals. The film never establishes the motives of the aforementioned "phantom menace" or the two guys acting as de facto antagonists either. Basically every character in the film is just "there" with no real reason or motivation to be there. Next to nothing happens in the film that sets the stage for future films beyond them finding anakin and palpatine being elected chancellor, both of which they could've simply introduced as already being the case since there was no sense of tension or drama involved in either of them happening. Basically, the only good aspects of the film was the pod race, the score, and fight choreography at the end. Everything else played out like a badly written fan fiction that a teenager thought up.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
The prequels have been underwhelming origin stories. It would have been better suited as a TV show. There's more time to flesh out character development and story.

I was curious to see how Anakin turns into DV, which is why I continued watching. So far it's been disappointing.

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
I guess I'll have to give Episode I the nod for being the WOAT Star Wars movie. Darth Maul was literally the only good thing about it.

If nothing else, at least we got to see Yoda/Mace in action in Ep2 and there was less Jar Jar.

Though I disagree with the idea that we shouldn't be seeing Yoda fight. Even in the original Star Wars movie he was supposed to be a master swordsman.