Statistics on black people are misunderstood

Memorial Stadium Piru

WE BYKE BABY
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Big Red
I was in front of the campus, under the overhang, waiting for the 9 to come so I could go home, and it was raining hard. I sipped on my Arizona and stared at the rain drops on the gray pavement, the tall downtown buildings, the busy bodies in their cars whizzing past me. Dade County has 2.5 million people, and 2.5 million stories to tell. I had Noreaga-I Love My Life in my earphones, and I vividly listened to Carl Thomas on the hook....

"I love my life,
Sold drugs my life,
It's my whole life
I sacrificed.........."

Man, stats make us look bad than we actually are. I saw a stat that 48% of black men are unemployed in Miami-Dade County. I'm an adult now (19 years old) and unemployed, but that doesn't mean anything. My mom wants me to focus on school, so now she gives me $200 a week to not work. I saw a stat that 77% of black women have children out of wedlock, but that doesn't tell the whole story. My brother and his girlfriend have a 2 year old son, and she's pregnant with twin daughters. To add to that, they own a nice home in a tony locale, my brother has an extremely lucrative job in the family business, and they are engaged to marry. But all they see is 77% out of wedlock. Black women have high obesity/overweight rates. The obesity stat I can't really argue, but the overweight stat is BS, because it is documented that black women carry more muscle mass than other races of women, carry LESS visceral (belly) fat than other races of women, and these stats are accrued via the fraudulent ass BMI system.

That's bullshyt. We (black people) need to stop taking these things to heart because they make us worry excessively for no reason, when these things should be looked at on a case by case basis. Of course, we should be building finances & strong black family units together, but there's no cut and dry solution to get there. I'm remaining abstinent until marriage, cuz I'm a devout Christian, I think it's more special & romantic, and I don't want to wear condoms, but I hate how these stats can mess with our self-esteem sometimes.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
statistics are inherently misleading. People read crime stats and say black people are more likely to commit a crime. When in reality we are just more likely to convicted of a crime if we get charged. Major difference there. One speaks to mentality of the accused, other speaks to the system.

WaveCapsByOscorp™

2021 Grammy Award Winner
Daps
yes, most statistics are designed to show what they what to show. You have to have a hypothesis first in order to begin collecting data. If you have bad ideas to begin with or some weird acceptance of your reality, you can apply scientific method improperly to a situation. The method isn’t flawless because it’s human influenced...

Sometimes it’s just a matter of asking yourself a question properly withou bias. In regards to blacks and stats here in America, the narrative has been so anti black that any statistical pursuit needs to have the properly line of discussion and questioning.

People

MikeyC

The Coli Royal Rumble Champion 2019
Daps
Reppin
London
I was in front of the campus, under the overhang, waiting for the 9 to come so I could go home, and it was raining hard. I sipped on my Arizona and stared at the rain drops on the gray pavement, the tall downtown buildings, the busy bodies in their cars whizzing past me. Dade County has 2.5 million people, and 2.5 million stories to tell. I had Noreaga-I Love My Life in my earphones, and I vividly listened to Carl Thomas on the hook....

"I love my life,
Sold drugs my life,
It's my whole life
I sacrificed.........."

Man, stats make us look bad than we actually are. I saw a stat that 48% of black men are unemployed in Miami-Dade County. I'm an adult now (19 years old) and unemployed, but that doesn't mean anything. My mom wants me to focus on school, so now she gives me $200 a week to not work. I saw a stat that 77% of black women have children out of wedlock, but that doesn't tell the whole story. My brother and his girlfriend have a 2 year old son, and she's pregnant with twin daughters. To add to that, they own a nice home in a tony locale, my brother has an extremely lucrative job in the family business, and they are engaged to marry. But all they see is 77% out of wedlock. Black women have high obesity/overweight rates. The obesity stat I can't really argue, but the overweight stat is BS, because it is documented that black women carry more muscle mass than other races of women, carry LESS visceral (belly) fat than other races of women, and these stats are accrued via the fraudulent ass BMI system.

That's bullshyt. We (black people) need to stop taking these things to heart because they make us worry excessively for no reason, when these things should be looked at on a case by case basis. Of course, we should be building finances & strong black family units together, but there's no cut and dry solution to get there. I'm remaining abstinent until marriage, cuz I'm a devout Christian, I think it's more special & romantic, and I don't want to wear condoms, but I hate how these stats can mess with our self-esteem sometimes.

Yo mamma willing to adopt a 20-something Londoner? :feedme:

KingZaire_

Superstar
Daps
Most black stats are false or don't tell the whole story so when people show "stats" to justify there way of thinking about black people I just ignore them.

TL15

Veteran
Daps
All stats CAN be misleading

Case and point...the anecdote about your brother and his girl. :salute: to him and congrats on the twins soon :blessed:

but that doesn't change the fact that he isn't married and unless he ties the knot before the twins are born, that they are born out of wedlock.

Now, is having a kid out of wedlock a bad thing? Depends on the situation. Does the statistic inherently state that your brother is doing the "wrong" thing? No, not at all. From what you are saying, he sounds like a stand up dude. But does your brother's situation fit into the 77% of kids born out of wedlock? Yes :manny:

I don't know Dade County...never been. But do you feel that of the 48% of unemployed black men there, that all of them are in your situation? 19 year old young men getting paid by mom to not be in school? I don't know, honestly.

Statistics are meant to paint a certain picture: good, bad, or indifferent. But just because we know that the information is meant to skew an opinion, it doesn't mean that the statistical information is incorrect.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
All stats CAN be misleading

Case and point...the anecdote about your brother and his girl. :salute: to him and congrats on the twins soon :blessed:

but that doesn't change the fact that he isn't married and unless he ties the knot before the twins are born, that they are born out of wedlock.

Now, is having a kid out of wedlock a bad thing? Depends on the situation. Does the statistic inherently state that your brother is doing the "wrong" thing? No, not at all. From what you are saying, he sounds like a stand up dude. But does your brother's situation fit into the 77% of kids born out of wedlock? Yes :manny:

I don't know Dade County...never been. But do you feel that of the 48% of unemployed black men there, that all of them are in your situation? 19 year old young men getting paid by mom to not be in school? I don't know, honestly.

Statistics are meant to paint a certain picture: good, bad, or indifferent. But just because we know that the information is meant to skew an opinion, it doesn't mean that the statistical information is incorrect.
You're right, I learned in colleges that it's more about how the statistics are presented than anything else. like my example from earlier if you get a stat shows accurately that black people are more likely to be convicted of a minor offense than white people. That could mean anything from black people can't afford as good lawyers to jury's are more biased towards black defendants/ more forgiving to white defendants. But the news will just publish an article saying black people commit more crimes show those and leave it at that. Realistically that stat can have so many different reasons that it shouldn't be published without disclaimers.