Study to become a scientist (Physics-Edition) (Long topic)

BLΔCK⁂W⊙LF

All Star
Daps
I did complete a degree in Physics, so I can give information I utilized throughout the years to accomplish this task. I am creating this topic for those that may be interested in Physics. I think when it comes to science Physics is the best degree because it so versatile amongst the STEM degrees.
You can easily transition into an E.E. masters degree if you wanted because most Physics B.S. programs require you to take a plethora of engineering classes (at least my university made me take a few of them), and computer science courses (computer science is well integrated into the physics curriculum as well depending on the school).

Some benefits to my approach: you end up not only learning a lot more than even learned in school, but you also become more creative in solving all sorts of problems. This will undoubtedly have great impact whether you continue on in the sciences or decide a different route like business. The benefits outweigh the negatives - if there are even negatives.

Doesn't matter if you are old or young, this information can be utilized by anyone that is interested and should, in my opinion, be utilized by everyone. You're never too old to learn and grow.

----O----

Basic Math:

Pre-Algebra-College Algebra:

I don't know any good books on algebra but this website looks pretty promising for those that want to brush up or relearn pre-Algebra - Intermediate Algebra.

OpenStax

Trigonometry:
I used the book below for self-study. I never took a course on trigonometry, after Algebra II and self-taught Trigonometry I tested right into Calculus I after high-school.

31uhAbentHL._AC_UL320_SR256,320_.jpg

Math:
I decided to learn math in a more rigorous manner as most, or a lot, of math today in most colleges isn't all that sophisticated and geared more towards rote memorization and not true understanding. The path I decided to go down helped me greatly.

"How to Prove It" by Velleman:
This book teaches you how proofs are constructed in math and how to begin writing your own mathematical proofs. The direct benefits is sharpening your mind when it comes to mathematical thinking and sophistication.

41glROfR93L._SX339_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

"Calculus" by Apostol:
I read this text after Velleman, and it reinforces concepts learned in Velleman by making you prove theorems and mathematical arguments. Volume I covers single variable calculus (Calc.I and II at most universities) and introduces complex variables (used a lot in engineering), differential equations, and linear algebra. Apostol Calculus also utilizes more physics throughout his text which is one of the reasons I like it so much. Some people will say it is more of an Analysis book, but its not imo, it is more thorough than the run-of-the-mill Calculus books like Stewart, but not as theory oriented as say, Spivak. It is a great textbook that I still use to this day as a reference.

Volume II gives one of the best treatments to multivariable Calculus that I've read and goes more in-depth into Linear Algebra and Differential Equations, and introduces Probability which is an added bonus.

Volume I

31R6NHrFjuL._SX330_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Volume II

41HH8v62zWL._SX359_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

If you need some help with Epsilon-Delta Proofs: https://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~yosenl/math/epsilon-delta.pdf

After the first 8 chapters of Vol.I, you can start your study of Physics:

Beginning Physics

Classical Mechanics I:
This is my favorite book on Physics because of its depth and because I actually learned more from reading this book than during lecture. It is a bit advanced, but the authors do a sufficient job of teaching the motivated student what he/she needs to know.

414mqMpTWDL._SX379_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

There is a newer edition but they took chapter 5 out because they felt it confused students that hadn't taken multi-variable calculus yet, but it didn't confuse me.

You should be completed with Apostol Calculus vol.I upon nearing the end of this book. You can skip the Special Relativity sections as well because they don't give a modern treatment.

Special Relativity:
If you skipped the S.R. sections in K&K, then this book would be a better edition. I was able to read the 'table of contents' and it pretty much covers the same material in his "Introduction to Mechanics" text which I have and read.

51x15Cp3G%2BL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Classical Mechanics II - Electricity and Magnetism:
This book is one of the best books on E&M, and I'd even go as far to say it is much better than upper undergraduate E&M books like Griffiths, but Griffiths covers a bit more material. You need to read the special relativity book before reading this book. In chapter 5 he will show you how the magnetic force is a consequence of special relativity and electricity.

41beJeXxHwL._SX404_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

for Math, you should be reading Vol.II of Apostol "Calculus" and have gotten a bit of a ways through it.

Waves, Vibrations, and Oscillations:
My school didn't have a course on Waves because it was introduced in several other courses. But this book is a good choice as it does do the subject justice.
51DDbsA0aNL._SX332_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

You should be finished with Apostol Calculus Vol. II or close to finishing it. I was able to finish both volumes by Q.3 of year 2, so around 1.7 years of study. The first two chapters of Apostol Vol. II can be skipped if you read the last two chapters of Volume I. You can also skip chapters 13, 14, and 15 as well if you want. I personally liked those chapters and they aided me in my education, but they weren't all too necessary.

Modern Physics & Math

For math - Mathematical Methods for Physics
After completing this text, you should be in good shape for upper level physics mathematics, and some graduate level physics coursework.It isn't as rigorous as Apostol but it does the job of teaching you the necessary math you need to know for a lot of what you will cover in Physics.

51L4enTyjiL._SX348_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Introduction to Quantum Physics:
A nice introduction to the subject. He does have two books, "Quantum Physics" and "Modern Quantum Mechanics". The latter is more advanced, the one pictured below is an introduction to the subject for those that are new to it. You will need to understand it (the introduction) when studying "Parity" in Nuclear and Particle Physics textbook below this one.

51KlWisCcAL._SX382_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Nuclear and Particle Physics:
Covers all the material you need to know at a basic level. Nuclear physics is pretty interesting. If you've taken a course in Chemistry whether it was accelerated or Chemistry II where you learn about nuclear chemistry, some of the material is the same but taught at a deeper level. One of the better parts of this book is its treatment on Feynman diagrams which is a way to represent particle decay and interaction, not only that these diagrams incorporate the conservation laws. They are like logic puzzles imo. I could go on and on about this book, but I really did enjoy studying the material in it.

0470742747.jpg

BLΔCK⁂W⊙LF

All Star
Daps
Physics texts for the lab: Experimentation is very important and people need to learn how to maneuver around in the lab and run accurate tests.

Introduction to Error Analysis:
The picture in the book is the "Montparnasee derailment" and you can read about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montparnasse_derailment

51xSxG7MLdL._SX344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Experiments in Modern Physics:
You may not have the equipment to carry out these experiments, but it is a good read never-the-less

51KZwTdT13L._SX333_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Fourier Analysis:
Comes in handy when analyzing signals.

51ZmflRIyxL._SX339_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Python
A lot of physics is done with computers, so just about every physicist needs to be competent when it comes to coding. Some people like to use C, I personally like Python, and so do many other physicists. I learned C, Matlab, and then I decided to learn Python. This book gives a better approach to grasping the subject and how to think like a programmer. This book can be read at anytime during your studies. I read it my fourth year of undergrad.

51eXy1VpBVL._SX403_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Computational Physics
If you want to be a competent physicist knowing how to conduct experimental work and program is essential. This books gives a more in-depth treatment.

41LyhC%2BY0jL._SX382_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Intermediate Physics

Mechanics II - Goldstein:
Some people suggest Taylor as Goldstein is more of a graduate level textbook, but I think Goldstein is a perfect fit after you complete Vol. II of Apostol and Mechanics I by K&K. It goes deeper into the physics that you learn in Mechanics I.

4173R51P0GL._SX394_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

"Modern Electrodynamics" by Zangwill:
Like Goldstein, is a graduate level textbook, but you should be more than prepared if you got through the math and E&M by Purcell. The first 15 chapters are more than sufficient. Or you could, if you want, study the whole book.

517PUhUVpBL._SX380_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

"Optics" by Hect

41Q0PSHD10L._SX389_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Advanced Physics

"Statistical Mechanics" by Pathria:
If you got through Quantum Physics and all of the math posted, you are in good shape to study this book

51tscSCZKvL._SX404_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Modern Quantum Mechanics:
Last course I ever took and it was pretty difficult but interesting. If you got through most of the texts, this book isn't impossible - in fact, it is one of the best QM books out there imo.

0805382917.jpg

How should you approach the above? (in descending order)

Apostol Vol.I
Mechanics I (after completing Ch.7 Apostol) & continue w/ Apostol Volume I
Special Relativity & Apostol Calculus Vol.II
E&M by Purcell & continue w/ Apostol Calculus Vol.II

--
Waves and Vibrations & Mathematical Methods for Physics or Apostol Calculus Vol. II (if you haven't completed it yet)
Quantum Physics & Mathematical Methods for Physics
Nuclear Physics and Particle Physics & Mathematical Methods for Physics

--
Error Analysis & Python (this can be done at anytime really)
Fourier Series
--
Goldstein's Classical Mechanics & Optics
Modern Electrodynamics

--
Statistical Mechanics
Quantum Mechanics

The above and experimental + computational physics comprised my core physics curriculum. I then had electives to choose from, and I chose courses relating to materials science because I was interested in solid state physics.

The books above, I used. A lot of them like Kleppner, Morin, Goldstein, Zangwill, and Sakurai are more rigorous but you only get better in physics - or any subject for that matter - based on the level of difficulty you have to struggle with in attempting to complete problems. Completing a bunch of easy problems doesn't require much thought and, I think, hinders your intellectual growth.

How to study?

Based on a few studies I will link below, you want to stay away from becoming too familiar with a textbook because by doing that you remember the passage as it was laid out in the book, but not really understand it to the degree you ought too. You also don't want to become a stenographer either while studying, so don't take notes as you read and don't highlight (I never highlight text).

Example: If you've just finished reading a large block of text, take a step back and take notes on what you just read without referring back to the text itself. Then move on with your reading. Don't re-read the text, just read it once, take some notes, move on.
By the end of the section/chapter, you should take a few hours to a day to forget about the material, then write up a summary of that material. By doing this, you will force yourself to remember what you've understood in the section/chapter and what you need to restudy.

When it comes to math, you apply the same tactic and in conjunction with that complete a 1-2 problems, then move on. You don't need to master the material before moving onto the next topic. You just need to know what it was talking about because you will end up constantly retreading the topic.

Personal example (using Apostol): Each chapter is divided into sections, so I would read each section, take some notes, and complete 1 problem if I could. I'd wait until night or the following day, and utilize the method above of writing up a summary, but I'd also try and rewrite the proofs he used for that particular section. Sometimes, I'd end up being able to rewrite the proofs, and other times I wouldn't know how to go about rewriting the proof because I didn't understand it. I would then restudy the proof but not to memorize it rather try and understand the logic of it. Eventually, I'd get it and then I would be able to solve a few more problems (I usually kept the amount to no more than 5 problems because I wanted to solve more later when I was studying different topics).

By keeping the amount of problems low, I was able to use some of those problems as a personal test. I'd mix them up with problems from the newer material I was studying, whatever I got wrong I'd have to go back and restudy the topic. By constantly retreading older material, I actually became much better at problem solving but understanding the textbook.

I used a similar method throughout my physics curriculum as well.

But, the research below is similar to how I studied back in school (a long read, but if you are in school it is worth reading imo):

http://www.indiana.edu/~pcl/rgoldsto/courses/dunloskyimprovinglearning.pdf

Quiet Magician

Superstar
Daps
Why would anyone want to go through an entire self learning path for physics at a university level? Do you know how hard it is to discipline yourself to learn these with no tangible benefit besides the acquirement of knowledge?

What I think is the better approach is going through high school level and first year physics to get a greater understanding of the world. That is enough to get a foundation and if you wish maybe touch on other subjects then go ahead but to fully go head deep is expecting too much. We only have so little time and motivation, this project of yours would take years.

Concepts > formulas

CarbonBraddock

You will be trolled
Daps
can't believe you copy/pasted all that shyt with the pics and science shyt as if real mufukkas give one fukk about the white man's science

Daps
I'm definitely bookmarking this thread. I've seen outlines on how to self study computer science and coding but never physics. I self study calculus and a couple other topics just to stay sharp. I would like to follow this program in it's entirety but I don't think it would be practical sense I could build a successful business in the time it would take me to do all of this.. but i'll def be checking out those books.

Good shyt

BLΔCK⁂W⊙LF

All Star
Daps
can't believe you copy/pasted all that shyt with the pics and science shyt as if real mufukkas give one fukk about the white man's science

I wrote all of it. But yeah, I couldn't link the Amazon books so I decided to get the pics.

I like the field so it wasn't a problem for me. :yeshrug:

Why would anyone want to go through an entire self learning path for physics at a university level? Do you know how hard it is to discipline yourself to learn these with no tangible benefit besides the acquirement of knowledge?

What I think is the better approach is going through high school level and first year physics to get a greater understanding of the world. That is enough to get a foundation and if you wish maybe touch on other subjects then go ahead but to fully go head deep is expecting too much. We only have so little time and motivation, this project of yours would take years.

Concepts > formulas

Yeah, the path I followed is more about concepts than learning formulas. But, this is more for those that will embark on a career in physics. So, the 30 year old that never went to college but was always interested in Physics and would like to start his/her path.

If you aren't serious about it, then this topic really isn't for you. Some pop science books would probably be adequate. :hhh:

CarbonBraddock

You will be trolled
Daps
I wrote all of it. But yeah, I couldn't link the Amazon books so I decided to get the pics.

I like the field so it wasn't a problem for me. :yeshrug:

Yeah, the path I followed is more about concepts than learning formulas. But, this is more for those that will embark on a career in physics. So, the 30 year old that never went to college but was always interested in Physics and would like to start his/her path.

If you aren't serious about it, then this topic really isn't for you. Some pop science books would probably be adequate. :hhh:
i have near a genius iq you little homosexual so what the fukk is you talking about?

BLΔCK⁂W⊙LF

All Star
Daps
i have near a genius iq you little homosexual so what the fukk is you talking about?

You actually don't need a high IQ to study physics. In fact, I'd say if you can read, write, and do basic arithmetic, you are in good shape to learn it or start the path to learn it.

Kids are programmed early on to think that their intelligence is static, that they will only be as smart as they are or were at a young age. That isn't true. You can read Dweck's work about the necessity of having a growth mindset as opposed to a fixed mindset. Kids with a growth mindset - those that think they can become better at something if they work hard enough - end up doing better overall than kids with a fixed mindset. They also end up taking on tougher problems.

BLΔCK⁂W⊙LF

All Star
Daps
@BLΔCK⁂W⊙LF what did you do with said degree?

I decided to take a break from school for a while and work to get a feel for the market place, then I decided to work for myself for a while. I am currently prepping to take the PGRE in September which I am trying to aim for the 900s at least because I actually want to attend an Ivy because it will open up many doors for me to work in industry.

Where you go for graduate school is important so that is what I am focusing on right now.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
I decided to take a break from school for a while and work to get a feel for the market place, then I decided to work for myself for a while. I am currently prepping to take the PGRE in September which I am trying to aim for the 900s at least because I actually want to attend an Ivy because it will open up many doors for me to work in industry.

Where you go for graduate school is important so that is what I am focusing on right now.
so grad school for a phd? then what? Industry?