Study: TV Kills Black Boys’ Self Esteem

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
I watched too much TV as a kid, and I didn't even have cable. It wasn't no good for me.

My kids aren't having a TV in the home. That simple. I haven't had a TV in my home since I left university, and it's done me nothing but good.

Creepn

All Star
Daps
I believe it. Watch the Walking Dead? Black people be rare during the zombie apocalypse. The black people they do show die gruesome deaths. Poor Everybody Hates Chris. He wanted to be an architect, but no, his future was to get his face torn to pieces.:mjcry:

d'jarbargel

Rookie
Daps
"Self Esteem" is such a bullshyt explanation.

"She has low self esteem" is what feminists say about why fat white women can't lose weight. It can be used as a fukking excuse for anything and everything.

If there's a cultural problem with young black men, it is persistently low expectations. If you grow up thinking that "white people have everything" and "their world is not for me" then that is going to have a huge impact on how a young person's life plays out.

Jimi Swagger

I say whatever I think should be said
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Turtle Island to DXB
Isnt it their parents fault (lets be real their single mothers in many cases) who ket the tv/computer babysit instead of the library or some extra cirricular activity or gof forbid engaging in family activities. I could only watch pbs as a kid and used to sneak in old hannah barbara cartoons with my dad who was more lenient then my mom.

tmonster

Superstar
Daps
TV is simply a reflection of the culture in the US. In short, even without TV, living in the US is enough to damage black people's self-esteem. If they're not being exposed to negative images on TV, then people in their lives are imposing negative expectations and thoughts onto them one way or another.
you need to not ignore the power of the TV!