Supreme Court Says Police May Use Evidence Found After Illegal Stops

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
I personally thought the highlight of the dissent was, "We must not pretend that the countless people who are routinely targeted by police are 'isolated. They are the canaries in the coal mine whose deaths, civil and literal, warn us that no one can breathe in this atmosphere."

superunknown23

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I personally thought the highlight of the dissent was, "We must not pretend that the countless people who are routinely targeted by police are 'isolated. They are the canaries in the coal mine whose deaths, civil and literal, warn us that no one can breathe in this atmosphere."
Kagan is alright but Sotomayor was Obama's best selection, that's for sure.
She's like the total opposite of Scalia:ehh:

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
this shyt is so fukkin blatant and corrupt man.... we all know these cops gonna hit us with this shyt first.... :francis::snoop: more legalized robbery and false imprisonment...

Gentility

Warrior for the Babies
Supporter
Daps
New York Times said:
Justice Thomas’s opinion drew a fiery dissent from Justice Sonia Sotomayor, who said that “it is no secret that people of color are disproportionate victims of this type of scrutiny.”

“This case tells everyone, white and black, guilty and innocent, that an officer can verify your legal status at any time,” she wrote. “It says that your body is subject to invasion while courts excuse the violation of your rights. It implies that you are not a citizen of a democracy but the subject of a carceral state, just waiting to be cataloged.”

New York Times said:
For generations,” she wrote, “black and brown parents have given their children ‘the talk’ — instructing them never to run down the street; always keep your hands where they can be seen; do not even think of talking back to a stranger — all out of fear of how an officer with a gun will react to them.”

“We must not pretend that the countless people who are routinely targeted by police are ‘isolated,’ ” she wrote. “They are the canaries in the coal mine whose deaths, civil and literal, warn us that no one can breathe in this atmosphere. They are the ones who recognize that unlawful police stops corrode all our civil liberties and threaten all our lives. Until their voices matter too, our justice system will continue to be anything but.”
:obama:

Jazzy Jay

The Gawd
Daps
Reppin
The A
In all seriousness, I don't think this as abusive as it is construed to be. The outcome is essentially whenever an officer makes a mistake in detaining someone, if that individual has an active arrest warrant they can still produce any evidence they have obtained in the unconstitutional stop.

An underclass of citizens isn't created, it just means that those with outstanding arrest warrants are at greater risk of their criminality being used against them.

In practical terms, if officers profile individuals without active warrants, the evidence from the unconstitutional stop is still excluded and thats a gamble law enforcement wouldn't take.

Swirv

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Clear your warrants. Don't want to be caught slipping.

Yapdatfool

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
In all seriousness, I don't think this as abusive as it is construed to be. The outcome is essentially whenever an officer makes a mistake in detaining someone, if that individual has an active arrest warrant they can still produce any evidence they have obtained in the unconstitutional stop.

An underclass of citizens isn't created, it just means that those with outstanding arrest warrants are at greater risk of their criminality being used against them.

In practical terms, if officers profile individuals without active warrants, the evidence from the unconstitutional stop is still excluded and thats a gamble law enforcement wouldn't take.

Wonder how quick & easy it is (or will become) to just make up warrants... or just make the shyt after the fact.

Jazzy Jay

The Gawd
Daps
Reppin
The A
Wonder how quick & easy it is (or will become) to just make up warrants... or just make the shyt after the fact.

Warrants still require a magistrate judge to issue so police can't do it on their own. Also, if they are issued after the fact it wouldn't to any good for the unconstitutional stop.

I'm still not pleased by this decision, it's poor precedent. We shouldn't ever reward law enforcement for making a mistake. This is something even Scalia would have ruled against because the Court is just pulling rules out of their ass.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan

I think the interpretation of the law is simply this. If an officer discovers you have a warrant then they can arrest you. Before they arrest you they search you under the rational of seeing if you have a weapon. If they discover you have something illegal on you then the illegal stop was already legitimized by the the warrant so whatever they find becomes retroactively legitimized as well.

This isn't too far away from an officer pulling you over for a pretextual stop when driving. They may have pulled you over because they racially profiled you but if they can find a reason to legitimize the stop with even a minor traffic violation a domino effect could happen that results in a warrantless search of your car.

In theory all this stuff sounds correct but in actuality it's disproportionately used to target minorities.

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
And how the fukk does 75% of ferguson have arrest warrants out... Wtf :dahell:

Because those charges against the residents was Trumped up on some bullshyt "taxing" the poor residents of that city with $300+ frivolus tickets on some bullshyt and when they couldnt pay it, it turns into an arrest warrant...:coffee: