Syrian refugees are now paying smugglers to take them back

Jimi Swagger

I say whatever I think should be said
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Turtle Island to DXB
On a humid August afternoon in northern Greece, a group of Syrian families hauling duffel bags and day packs stumbled down a forested hillside. Exhausted and nervous, they gathered in a gravel parking lot across from a small train station.

They could see the border just a few miles away, marked by the curving line of tall riparian trees rising out of the grassy landscape. It had taken them six months to reach this point. Their final destination was close.

The smuggler, a tall man wearing a headset, waved his hand. The families gathered up their belongings once again, took their children by the hand, and walked toward the station. They stepped one by one from the cement platform onto the train tracks, passing the crumpled clothes and blankets abandoned by those who made the journey before them.

1*-hbKuHT3Shsvqn4vcJi1-g.jpeg

A group of Syrian refugees in July, beginning their journey home. (Jeanne Carstensen/GlobalPost Investigations)

On this day there were no other people in sight. They hiked along the tracks, stretching out in a single file line in the direction of the trees. The sound of crickets, screaming in the summer heat, drowned out their footsteps.

They had already crossed several borders to get this far. But this time felt significant — like the beginning of the end of their journey.

For this group of refugee families, however, the end would not be permanent safety in Germany, as they had hoped. They had arrived in Greece six months earlier, by which time Europe had closed its borders to new migrants.

After being stuck half a year in this unfamiliar country beset by its own economic misery, these Syrian families weren’t pushing north toward their dreams in Germany or beyond.

They were going back. To Syria.

In 2015, hundreds of thousands of Syrians poured over their country’s border into Turkey. From there they paid smugglers to make harrowing journeys by sea to Greece. And then took buses or trains or simply walked north to Germany, where Chancellor Angela Merkel had announced her country’s intention to welcome them. It was a hopeful time for millions who were searching for a way out of the brutal, multi-front conflict at home.

The optimism quickly faded, however. There was a backlash against Merkel’s policies, especially in Eastern European countries struggling to cope with the massive numbers of refugees streaming through. By March 2016 the doors to Europe had effectively swung shut, in the faces of crowds of tired refugees.

It began with a chain of EU-coordinated border closures — from Austria to Croatia to Macedonia — that shut down the primary route through the Balkans. Then on March 20, European leaders signed a controversial agreement with Turkey. Among other things, it required Greek authorities to detain new arrivals and send them back to Turkey, deemed a safe third country.

These new policies altered the destiny of the “tail-enders” — the population of asylum hopefuls who arrived to Greece after the big wave in the spring of 2016. When the borders suddenly closed, they found themselves trapped in a country burdened by its own woes and unprepared to address the needs of the thousands suddenly stalled there.

They were just as needy as the million refugees who had arrived to Europe before. But time had punished them: They were simply too late. They were unlucky.

New arrivals to the Greek islands were now taken to detention centers to wait for hearings before facing likely deportation. The tens of thousands of others already in Greece were corralled into a hastily designed network of camps scattered around the country. Life in Greece for these Syrians quickly became a daily disgrace, with no clear path to a permanent, secure location for their families to live.

Their finances long exhausted, they have languished for months in these isolated camps, waiting to access the meager legal asylum system available to them. Life here is now so bad that some believe the best way forward is to return home.

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
It's February and migrants are freezing to death. Way to be a piece of shyt, Op.

Jimi Swagger

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Turtle Island to DXB
It's February and migrants are freezing to death. Way to be a piece of shyt, Op.

No it's January and 50 degrees in Greece. Don't start name calling. I've respected you and your mental illness so far and I suggest you respect me. Why not share a post about Aleppo instead of acting like a jilted lover.

88m3

Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
No it's January and 50 degrees in Greece. Don't start name calling. I've respected you and your mental illness so far and I suggest you respect me. Why not share a post about Aleppo instead of acting like a jilted lover.
Or perhaps post timely articles about what migrants are actually facing?

Europe cold weather death toll rises - BBC News

More than 20 people are now known to have died as icy temperatures continue to grip much of Europe.

Ten people died of cold in Poland on Sunday. The bodies of three migrants, two Iraqi and one Somali, were found near the Turkish-Bulgarian border.

Deaths have been reported in Italy, the Czech Republic, Russia and Ukraine.

Dozens of flights have been halted. In Turkey, the Bosphorus is closed to shipping after a snowstorm. Even Greece's islands are covered in snow.

In Serbia, all river transport is suspended on the Danube.

Your pictures: Icy weather causes disruption across Europe

The Medecins Sans Frontieres aid organisation said it was "very concerned about the thousands of vulnerable people across the continent in danger and stuck in undignified conditions".

It said "of particular concern are the 2,000 people living in informal settlements in Belgrade where temperatures are currently reaching -20C (-4F)". It added that the majority of them were young people from Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iraq and Syria.

In Russia, temperatures in some regions have plunged below -40C.

Normally milder Greece has witnessed temperatures of -15C in the north, where an Afghan migrant died of cold last week and roads were closed.

Media captionBBC Weather presenter Chris Fawkes explains why there is such an icy spell in parts of Europe - bringing unexpected snow to Greece and Turkey.
In Athens, the temperature failed to rise above 0C over the weekend and many of the islands were covered in snow.

Some of the Greek islands are home to thousands of migrants and many are being moved to temporary housing and heated tents.

_93328831_f42e4067-fb22-4399-a383-a1ccb063ce71.jpg
Image copyrightEPA
Image captionHeavy snowfall continued in Istanbul on Monday
_93332467_d0076d14-f889-4c6a-bc30-70469f1afeb3.jpg
Image copyrightAFP/GETTY IMAGES
Image captionSome of Rome's famous fountains are now covered in ice
_93328833_c460ff0d-caa7-4dd6-a21f-12468aa3cc94.jpg
Image captionA migrant camp on the Greek island of Lesbos was not spared the snow
_93332471_99950b24-a348-4235-98e0-8f770eca2f9c.jpg
Image captionChunks of ice were seen floating on the Danube River in Budapest
_93332938_ef3be71b-b313-4e51-a714-9e222fd7ac37.jpg
Image copyrightEPA
Image captionIn Ukraine, pedestrians and drivers struggled in a heavy snowfall in Kiev
_93332469_accf3330-5667-4d78-a487-2bb62a3cf33e.jpg
Image copyrightEPA
Image captionChildren had a rare opportunity to play on the frozen Esca River in Burgui, northern Spain
Homeless hostels in Italy are opening their doors day and night as the weather has been blamed for the deaths of seven people, five of them living out in the open.

Read more
Airports in Sicily, Bari and Brindisi closed over the weekend. Rome, too, saw freezing temperatures.

In Russia, Moscow experienced its coldest Orthodox Christmas in 120 years on 7 January.

Dozens of flights have been cancelled or delayed in the capital.

Schools in several regions of the country are closed on Monday, however officials say milder temperatures are expected in the coming days.

_93312853_3c8442dd-087b-4934-9a4e-03e9684ef982.jpg
Image copyrightEPA
Image captionA visit to Moscow's Red Square required wrapping up extra warm as these tourists found
_93323519_1e4baf80-1dab-44bc-a448-a34cf4c161a7.jpg
Image copyrightEPA
Image captionDespite the bitter cold, a traditional winter bike parade was held in the Russian capital
Prague had its coldest night so far this winter, Czech officials say, with six deaths reported, most of them homeless people.

With the 10 deaths confirmed in Poland on Sunday, officials say country's death toll from winter weather has risen to 65 since 1 November.

The cities of Warsaw and Krakow are on Monday providing commuters with free public transport as the authorities try to tackle high smog levels linked to the cold weather.

Europe cold weather death toll rises - BBC News

Jimi Swagger

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Turtle Island to DXB
Or perhaps post timely articles about what migrants are actually facing?
Normally milder Greece has witnessed temperatures of -15C in the north, where an Afghan migrant died of cold last week and roads were closed.

BBC Weather presenter Chris Fawkes explains why there is such an icy spell in parts of Europe - bringing unexpected snow to Greece and Turkey.
In Athens, the temperature failed to rise above 0C over the weekend and many of the islands were covered in snow.

Some of the Greek islands are home to thousands of migrants and many are being moved to temporary housing and heated tents.

Where in the article does it state that Syrian refugees are freezing in Greece? And what is the official death toll of weather related death in Greece? It's currently 48 in Lesbos and according to the article they were being relocated to heated shelter. Also, they don't experience harsh winters, even this temporary chill isn't extreme or lingering.

If my article including Eastern European countries such as Russia and Hungary, I could understand but I honestly don't get your outburst or name calling. Have you checked into your mental health benefits?

Appreciate the information though but next time stay on topic. Moscow and Budapest is not in the tag...

thatrapsfan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah people are going back because the EU now deports Syrian asylum seekers back to Turkey or theyre stuck in limbo in Greece.

Is the implication here that Syria is safe or something?

ⒶⓁⒾⒶⓈ

Doctors without Labcoats
Daps
Reppin
Payments accepted Obamacare,paypal and livestock
Where in the article does it state that Syrian refugees are freezing in Greece? And what is the official death toll of weather related death in Greece? It's currently 48 in Lesbos and according to the article they were being relocated to heated shelter. Also, they don't experience harsh winters, even this temporary chill isn't extreme or lingering.

If my article including Eastern European countries such as Russia and Hungary, I could understand but I honestly don't get your outburst or name calling. Have you checked into your mental health benefits?

Appreciate the information though but next time stay on topic. Moscow and Budapest is not in the tag...

@88m3 is trolling...Greece and syria are almost on the same latitude ...same climate zone in fact...

Mekseh1.jpg

Sadly syria itself is facing the same winter conditions

88m3

Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn

The BBC article I posted mentions Greece and Greece had ships moving migrants off of the islands due to temperatures/snow.

I can tell you're posting for a laugh. Very cool.

88m3

Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
@88m3 is trolling...Greece and syria are almost on the same latitude ...same climate zone in fact...

Mekseh1.jpg

Sadly syria itself is facing the same winter conditions

It's also facing a war and supply shortages.

What point is op really trying to make?

:heh:

The weather in Greece and Turkey is pretty much the same as I'm sure is Syria.

Istanbul just had a massive snow storm not too long back that hadn't happened in a very long time.

Jimi Swagger

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Turtle Island to DXB