Taco Bell Manager: I Was Fired For Hiring Hispanics

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
BY BRYCE COVERT POSTED ON JULY 31, 2014 AT 10:03 AM UPDATED: JULY 31, 2014 AT 11:56 AM

AP54957112191-638x447.jpg

CREDIT: AP

Juanita O’Connell, a 60-year-old Taco Bell employee, has sued the company after she says she was fired for hiring Hispanic employees.

O’Connell, who is of Mexican descent herself, has worked at the company since 1987 and was most recently a general manager. In her complaint filed with the district court in Indianapolis, she alleges that last year her operations leader, Mark Lewis, told her not to hire Hispanics. When he came to her store and saw a Hispanic employee, he said, “Didn’t I tell you not to hire Hispanics” or something similar. “She does have a witness who was present when he made that statement,” her lawyer, Joel Paul of the Ramey & Hailey law firm, told ThinkProgress.

About two weeks later, she says a higher up issued her a disciplinary warning “after asking [her] misleading questions about her operation,” the complaint states. Then three hours later, she was fired, told that she violated the manager code and had an I-9 violation.

The complaint also alleges that she was treated differently than other, similar, non-Hispanic, male employees in violation of Title VII, which prohibits employment discrimination based on race, sex, and other characteristics.

Taco Bell has not returned a request for comment.

O’Connell is seeking “whatever she’s entitled to under the law,” Paul said. In the complaint, she requests Taco Bell pay lost wages and benefits, attorneys’ fees and litigation costs, and any other relief.

She’s not the only one bringing a case against a fast food company that alleges racial discrimination. Two former McDonald’s employees have accused the company of failing to address the racial slurs used by their manager, calling his employees n***er, saying the restaurant got busy at the end of the month because black customers had gotten their welfare checks, and sending them racially charged videos. The women also allege that the manager sexually assaulted and harassed them.

People of color are overly represented in low-paid fast food jobs — restaurants are the single largest employer of people of color, and they make up 35 percent of fast food prep and cook positions despite representing 32 percent of the workforce. But as some of these cases show, the environment can often be racially charged. The restaurant industry is also notorious for gender harassment, as it’s the single-largest source of sexual harassment claims.

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2014/07/31/3466166/taco-bell-fired-hispanics/

MushroomX

Packers Stockholder
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wisconsin
:ufdup: I would bring audio/visual when this happened. If people are putting cops on smartphones, it's time pull the veil off of shytty fast food restaurants entirely. Restaurants like this are rotten to the core, and need the roots pulled out to wipe the slate clean.

godkiller

"We are the Fury"
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Fewer Hispanics, more nikkas. This is what needs to happen. In places where Hispanics displace AA workers in low end jobs, AA unemployment and misery rises. The studies say so.:yeshrug:

all the taco bells i go to have 90% hispanic workers

:manny:

This is because of Mexican cronyism and racism. Meanwhile young nikkas can't get find a job.

the cac mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:patrice: So there isnt even the slightest possibility of her making this up, as far as you guys are concerned? or does not matter one way or another?
i mean the premise is :mindblown: i EXPECT hispanics at taco bell. not because i care either way, but because thats who i always see there, and for that reason i cant imagine anyone saying, actively, dont hire them

BUT, why did taco bell fire her? i wana see their reason for that

DEAD7

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, CA.
I gotta feeling you'd cape for the corporation either way. :yeshrug:
If considering the defendant innocent until proven guilty is caping then yes. :yeshrug:
I dont care either way, but it seems some people are taking the word of this bird(without any evidence) as the truth...

:patrice:Its actually the same phenomenon I see among whites when blacks are accused of a crime.
:manny:w/e

MidwestD

Clyde Frog's Shooter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If considering the defendant innocent until proven guilty is caping then yes. :yeshrug:
I dont care either way, but it seems some people are taking the word of this bird(without any evidence) as the truth...

:patrice:Its actually the same phenomenon I see among whites when blacks are accused of a crime.
:manny:w/e

ahhh, so you want us to be impartial :ehh:

the problem is you call someone who's been loyal to the company for almost 30 years and worked her way up to GM a "bird" :stopitslime:

fukk outta here :camby:

Tommy Knocks

retired
Daps
Reppin
iPaag
Coming from someone thats from cali. This article is hiding something. They told her not to hire hispanics because more than likely she was discriminating and ONLY hiring her people. They do this THROUGHOUT california, and it's not fair. That's why a lot of black people forced to move because once hispanics gain the numbers, they only hire each other and only accept hispanic tenants....next thing you know, 5 years later you're entire community (which you gladly shared with them) becomes over ran and you can't find a place or job.

Hope TacoBell wins, sorry.