Talk to me about the Android ecosystem & tablets

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
I'm getting my mom a tablet for Christmas and am between the iPad mini, google nexus 7, and Samsung galaxy tab 2.

She can catch on to tech with some coaching, but she's not super tech savvy. I'm wondering how easy it is to navigate the droid app market (is it easy to find apps & games, download music & movies), can she use amazon's market on these devices, what's the best droid app market (google play)?

I don't want to default to the iPad since I know there are comparable and better alternatives, but at the same time all my devices are apple, they're pretty straight forward for someone like her, and I can easily help her over the phone if she needs to figure something out.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
nothing wrong with a android tablet, i have a few chinese tablets that run andriod and even my 3 year old niece has no problem using it.

It's pretty easy to navigate, just like a ipad you can rearrange the apps, so you can put the google play button on the homescreen for easier guidance. Only thing i would say you may want to setup a google play account prior.

And yes google play is basically the itunes store for android its the main hub, however you can setup other android marketplace like amazon appstore, getjar, appbrain, slideme

all through a simple click and download.

Its easy, searching for apps just click open a app store say google play and search and download, browser even the default browser isn't bad although i would recommend dolphin but for your mom who will probably do light surfing :ehh:

i would also recommend but not needed maybe a blue tooth keyobard case, there are some cheap stylish ones out there, i know some folks have problems with typing on the keyboard.

the only thign i would give teh ipad mini over a android tablet is if she needs help with anything just pop into a apple store, but android is very easy even my 4 year old niece uses my andriod tablet for netflix, and her kiddy apps no issues

aXiom

Maximized Potential
Daps
Reppin
Parc fermé
I'm getting my mom a tablet for Christmas and am between the iPad mini, google nexus 7, and Samsung galaxy tab 2.

She can catch on to tech with some coaching, but she's not super tech savvy. I'm wondering how easy it is to navigate the droid app market (is it easy to find apps & games, download music & movies), can she use amazon's market on these devices, what's the best droid app market (google play)?

I don't want to default to the iPad since I know there are comparable and better alternatives, but at the same time all my devices are apple, they're pretty straight forward for someone like her, and I can easily help her over the phone if she needs to figure something out.

Get her an iPad mini. Since you're gonna be her go to person for help with the device, it only makes sense to get her something that you're familiar with. Trying to coach her over the ins and out of the N7/android over the phone without knowing much about them is gonna be a bit of a hassle since you're not familiar with the device. The mini is the better choice.