Tariq Nasheed Goes 1 On 1 With Puerto Rican Woman Who Said We Think Blackness Is A Scab

Commish

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
the fact he didn’t even admit his forefathers were African slaves shows just how much he was willing not to be giving an L by this broad ..... yeah he’s starting to come across very anti -Caribbean /African some times ....

I don’t t expect him to be perfect. Nobody is perfect, but I thought his issue was against Caribbean so called c-words? That I could understand, but when he and ol girl was going back and forth, it just felt like he was making a generalization towards the whole Caribbean community. It honestly turned me off for listening further. It just came off as divisive. I can support having different groups within the diaspora, but I don’t support division and disrespect from any group against another group. Just go after individuals who do and say foul things towards one group, not the whole demographic.

Big Boda

My Family Are Not Immigrants.
Daps
Reppin
400 Year Survivors Of American Slavery.
I don’t t expect him to be perfect. Nobody is perfect, but I thought his issue was against Caribbean so called c-words? That I could understand, but when he and ol girl was going back and forth, it just felt like he was making a generalization towards the whole Caribbean community. It honestly turned me off for listening further. It just came off as divisive. I can support having different groups within the diaspora, but I don’t support division and disrespect from any group against another group. Just go after individuals who do and say foul things towards one group, not the whole demographic.

I see trolls say the same thing all the time. It "felt like" it "came off like" "its divisive" etc to make a strawman thats easier to argue against. If you're talking like that its easy to dismiss anything else you talk about because you're using dishonest language.

Commish

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I see trolls say the same thing all the time. It "felt like" it "came off like" "its divisive" etc to make a strawman thats easier to argue against. If you're talking like that its easy to dismiss anything else you talk about because you're using dishonest language.

I am not a TN hater. But, I can’t say exactly what he said after a few minutes into their debate because I turned off the video. You do understand that, right? He was making generalizations about a whole region comprised of many island nations. This is what a I heard. This is my perception. He did not just focus on one specific group of people in the Caribbean. When a person says Caribbean, then you are talking about islands that damn extend from a few miles off the coast of Florida to islands that damn near touch South America.

I do not believe that all Caribbean people are colorists. Are there people in each Island nation that practice colorism? Yes. But, do I believe that the majority of people from the Caribbean practice colorism? fukk no!

So, you can dismiss whatever you want. I pretty much agree what most of what he says regarding Black issues, but not everything. He isn’t above reproach and neither are you.

Last edited:

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY
the crazy thing is that

what we've been saying from day one actually happened. What people like @xoxodede was saying actually happened

Ados went from this "you guys are only on the internet" shyt--- to having chapters all across america

it took a year and 6 months to go from the internet to the heart of California :wow:

All of ya should make us country omelettes with all that egg on your face

Bigsuk

Tha realest n***a
Daps
Yeah I didn’t agree with her statement about some blacks looking at there blackness as a scab she was talking about victim mood but in harsh terms ..... she did try to clear it up I supose but got caught in her feelings wen debating tariq cause he just starts flat out bullshytting or just assuming everyone from the Carribean are the same like I said no point debating tariq he’s to arrogant to admit wen he’s wrong about anything .....

Commish

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Yeah I didn’t agree with her statement about some blacks looking at there blackness as a scab she was talking about victim mood but in harsh terms ..... she did try to clear it up I supose but got caught in her feelings wen debating tariq cause he just starts flat out bullshytting or just assuming everyone from the Carribean are the same like I said no point debating tariq he’s to arrogant to admit wen he’s wrong about anything .....

My thing is this...

People who go on his platform to disagree with his points may get called out and ask to hop in. If someone takes that request, then expect to lose.

He controls his platform. You will not out talk him or whatever on his shyt. He will simply cut you off and roast you. His audience is already on his side, so you are basically setting yourself up.

Once again, I have no issue with TN. But, the minimizing and downplaying of colorism in the US really struck a nerve because I was personally affected by colorism growing up til my young adulthood.

But, that isn't his issue. I am just not gonna accept that Black folks in America were all on the conscious tip back in the day. That is very inaccurate.

Some were on the conscious tip and others were on the colorism tip. I believe that it was like that everywhere where there is a significant marginalized group within the diaspora. Some places more blatant then others, but it has existed well before our lifetime and still exist to this day, unfortunately.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Old thread but

False, Black immigrants on youtube made that shyt pop, BW in America aint know shyt about Bantu Knots, Twist out, Fulani Braids & Shea Butter etc. til youtube hair vidoes by immigrants came out..

false like a mofo. The OG natural hair movement of the 1960s came from the black panthers/black power era in the USA

n12LY4T.jpg

zQBRO8I.jpg

the modern movement started from the Neo-Soul era of the mid-1990s

1*GItWLJW4xf1g0-DvJkuxiQ.jpeg

dangelo-live-at-the-jazz-cafe-london-gets-official-release-uai-715x536.jpg

Opinions are split on how this movement started. Charing Ball, columnist for online magazine Madame Noire, says some credit the influence of Chris Rock's 2009 movie Good Hair that denounced black women's dependence on chemical straightening treatments. "I think it has more to do with the apogee of the "neo-soul" movement in the early 2000s, which brought forward artists opposed to those usually in black music," says Ball, citing such stars as Erykah Badu, Jill Scott or India Arie, and Maxwell for men.

"These artists rekindled the interest for natural hairdos like Afros, dreadlocks or bantu knots," says Ball. "It helped show another aspect of black life but it also made frizzy hair more culturally acceptable." The Afro haircut is still linked to the political liberation movement of the 1960s and 1970s and to its icon, activist Angela Davis. At the time, many followed in her steps and rejected straightening as a norm, affirming their freedom and their heritage. In the movies, Pam Grier embodied the black woman's pride. Others made their hairdo a symbol, like writer Toni Morrison. Today her thick, grey dreadlocks are an integral part of her public image, but the author of Beloved once bore a straight-up Afro.

The Afro Is Back

lowkey, black ADOS sports stars such as Allen Iverson

allen-iverson.jpg

and then when hair blogs/youtube came along, it went global

2000s

The natural hair movement is a movement which encourages women of African descent to keep their natural afro-textured hair. Born in the USA during the 2000s,[1][2] this movement is named "mouvement nappy" in French-speaking countries.[3][4][5][6]

The movement designates black women who wear afro-textured hair in its natural, coiled or curly state (as well as those who do not chemically straighten their hair but may still choose to wear it straight). The word "nappy" has been subjected to denigration since the Atlantic slave trade. Thereafter, some Afrodescendants have positively taken the word back, considered in francophone countries as a backronym made up of "natural" and "happy."[3][7][8][9]

The natural hair movement today
For about ten years, thanks to Web 2.0, a growing number of people have been sharing their beauty advice via:

These websites have expanded the natural hair movement around the world so as to highlight the beauty of natural African hair.[3][4][17]

Last edited:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
I don't know whats the point of lying about basic shyt or acting like Black Americans didn't start a lot of Anti Black shyt..

Brown Paper Bag test & colorism started in America.

colorism didn't start in the USA:hhh: colorism existed anywhere you had a heterogeneous population from a phenotypical POV and it's actually worse in the Caribbean which is why Garvey saw no hope in Jamaica/West Indies

Just like Perms, Conks, Weaves, Hot Combs etc. which ended up influencing Blacks across the world.

Hot Comb was invented by ADOS but weaves and hair texture altered by various methods already existed in Africa:

For the Tuareg, the head, eghef, is the seat of intelligence, whilst hair, is considered the outer manifestation of intelligence. They praise luxuriant and intricately braided hair, which they associate with pure and noble origins. Extremely unkempt hair, that is untrimmed, matted and at times carelessly wrapped in headdresses, Tuareg women identify with insanity. As shampoo, they use a range of natural extracts sourced from their Sahelian and Saharan landscape in order to keep their hair clean, their scalps hygienic and free from lice. By infusing the crushed leaves of talekkodt (black benniseed) or deje (white raisin tree), or ataghantagh (Rogeria adenophylla), they produce hair cleansers. As a hair tonic, they use camel urine, which perfumes their hair, leaving it glossy, lustrous and thick while also preventing dandruff. Some Tuareg women even use it as a hair lightener. When it comes to art of Tuareg hairstyles, such rituals consist of firstly rubbing and coating the hair with a mixture of aromatic pomade and fine black sand to enhance its lustre before intricately braiding it into a number of different intricate hairstyles.

Amonbê | Tuareg Women: Beauty Rituals from the Saharan Aristocrats

or

or

close-up-of-maasai-moran-or-warrior-having-his-hair-braided-and-lengthened-AW2KBK.jpg

Close up of Maasai moran or warrior having his hair braided and lengthened with string Kenya East Africa

Stock Photo - Close up of Maasai moran or warrior having his hair braided and lengthened with string Kenya East Africa

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
If she's Puerto Rican, how is she an immigrant?:ohhh:

I didnt listen and dont care to listen to foolishness :yeshrug:

I think the point is that even though it's a US territory, it's culturally foreign to the rest of the USA. Most Puerto Ricans don't even consider themselves a Commonwealth of the USA, they see themselves as their own distinct nation. That's why they are looked at as immigrants...

this

The Jones Act of 1917 included a collective citizenship provision. It enabled people living in Puerto Rico to choose between keeping their Puerto Rican or other citizenship, or acquiring a U.S. citizenship. Because the Jones Act did not change Puerto Rico's territorial status, persons subsequently born on the island were considered U.S. citizens by way of "jus sanguinis" (blood right), a derivative form of U.S. citizenship. In other words, persons born in Puerto Rico were born outside of the United States but still considered U.S. citizens.

It wasn't until 1940 that Congress enacted legislation conferring birthright, or "jus soli," (right of soil) citizenship on persons born in Puerto Rico. Whereas persons born in Puerto Rico prior to 1940 could only acquire a naturalized citizenship if their parents were U.S. citizens, anyone born in Puerto Rico after 1940 acquired a U.S. citizenship as a direct result of being born on Puerto Rican soil. This legislation both amended and replaced the Jones Act. The Nationality Act of 1940 established that Puerto Rico was a part of the United States for citizenship purposes. Since Jan. 13, 1941, birth in Puerto Rico amounts to birth in the United States for citizenship purposes.

However, the prevailing consensus among scholars, lawmakers and policymakers is that Puerto Ricans are not entitled to a constitutional citizenship status. While Puerto Ricans are officially U.S. citizens, the territory remains unincorporated. This contradiction has enabled the governance of Puerto Rico as a separate and unequal territory that belongs to, but is not a part of, the United States.

https://www.usnews.com/news/national-news/articles/2017-03-03/are-puerto-ricans-american-citizens

Although Puerto Rico is an unincorporated territory of the United States classified as a commonwealth, many Puerto Ricans consider it to be a country in and of itself.[102][103][104][105] In their book on American expansionism titled The Louisiana Purchase and American Expansion, 1803–1898, Sanford Levinson and Bartholomew H. Sparrow also determined that "Most Puerto Ricans consider themselves a distinct national group."[106][107] They also observed that both Americans and Puerto Ricans see themselves as separate cultures—"even separate nationalities".[108]

At the local level, it has been observed that Puerto Ricans "consider themselves a territorially distinct national unit, a nation defined by its cultural distinctiveness".[109] In recent plebiscites Puerto Ricans have not expressed themselves in favor of a political status with the intention of becoming a sovereign state, but the idea that Puerto Rico is a separate social, political and cultural entity from the United States has been repeatedly expressed.

Akae Beka

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
So in other words, she's not a immigrant:yeshrug:.

yes and no, on a technicality she isn't but when you put the history of puerto rico in its full context, she is and puerto rico is seen as such even by the inhabitants themselves.

I used to live in PR briefly and I was born right next door in the VI(which has a sizeable PR population as well) so I wholeheartedly understand the relationship they have with the U.S. but that doesn't negate anything I said.

Puerto Rico's African slave trade began in 1517; while the official triracial culture stewed on a whole other landmass

puerto-rico-location-map.jpeg

381 years later, it technically became a part of the USA but in actuality, the culture there was completely foreign and non-American:beli:

Puerto Rico’s relationship with the U.S. is rooted in a history of discrimination. The island has been a territory of the United States since Spain ceded it in 1898, following America’s invasion of it during the Spanish-American War. Three years later, the Insular Cases of 1901 made clear that Puerto Ricans were bound to an unequal, colonial relationship grounded in racism in which the island’s residents were seen as inferior: The cases state the island is “inhabited by alien races” that could not understand “Anglo-Saxon principles,” and is, as a territory, “belonging to the United States, but not a part of the United States.” The Constitution’s territorial clause gives Congress the power to determine which parts of the Constitution apply to territories and which do not; accordingly, Puerto Ricans were not granted citizenship until 1917, and only then so that they could serve in World War I. It took until 1947 for the people of the island to be given the right to vote for their own governor. Even today, only about half of American adults know that Puerto Ricans are U.S. citizens.

It Is 2020, and Puerto Rico Is Still a Colony - Harvard Political Review

Akae Beka

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
yes and no, on a technicality she isn't but when you put the history of puerto rico in it's full context, she is and puerto rico is seen as such even by the inhabitants themselves.

Puerto Rico's African slave trade began in 1517; while the official triracial culture stewed on a whole other landmass

puerto-rico-location-map.jpeg

381 years later, it technically became a part of the USA but in actuality, the culture there was completely foreign and non-American:beli:

It Is 2020, and Puerto Rico Is Still a Colony - Harvard Political Review
I agree with all of this but until they annex, we have to go by the legal definition.