Tavis Smiley and KBLA TALK 1580 celebrate 1 year anniversary

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Tavis Smiley Celebrates One-Year Anniversary of KBLA Talk 1580 in L.A.

Tavis Smiley greets guests at a recent influencers brunch at Blackbird House

July 20, 2022
After four years away from the media spotlight due to disputed allegations of misconduct against him, Tavis Smiley made a celebratory return to the airwaves last year as the owner of KBLA Talk 1580. The only Black-owned and operated talk radio station west of the Mississippi, KBLA commemorated its one-year anniversary on Juneteenth 2022.

“It was a rough four years out of media, and the toughest four years of my career,” said Smiley. “When you’ve been on the radio and television every day for decades, then overnight, over false allegations, you find [that you’re] defending yourself in the public arena.”

Smiley says he felt his voice had been silenced, and that it was a difficult transition for him. “I didn’t know that I would make it back [into media], whatever that means. I read and heard so much commentary about me.”

From the time he was 12-years-old, he says, he dedicated his life to making sure that the world was safe for Black people. He didn’t have a “plan b” when his public platform was snatched from beneath him. Smiley describes it as “four long tumultuous and tearful years of upheaval.”

Smiley says he felt his voice had been silenced, and that it was a difficult transition for him. “I didn’t know that I would make it back [into media], whatever that means. I read and heard so much commentary about me.”

Then, he remembers one night praying and considering his options. He says it occurred to him that if he was waiting on major television networks or radio stations to call and offer him a job, then that call wasn’t coming. Instead, Smiley knew if he was going to “make it back into the ring to fight for his people,” he would have to begin by fighting for himself

0c8306251a3adec1526d004dd1850d15.jpg

Smiley says he was encouraged by the words of his good friend and musical legend, Prince. He remembers Prince saying, “The next phase in your career has got to be about owning your own platform for distribution.” Sadly, Prince passed away before the PBS controversy, but Smiley says he continued to hear Prince’s words in his head

One day at 3 a.m., during the height of the racial reckoning surrounding the murder of George Floyd, Smiley says he realized that L.A. lacked a Black-owned talk radio station. He began writing notes, developing ideas, and implementing strategies that led to the launch of KBLA Talk 1580 on Juneteenth last year.

KBLA’s motto is “unapologetically progressive.” Explaining the meaning behind this motto, Smiley replied, “The problem with talk radio today is it’s all day, all night, and all White. So, we make no apologies about our mission, and we want to be bold about that.”

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA – APR 29: seen at KBLA 1580 am Radio Live from Florence & Normandy on The 30TH Anniversary of the LA Riots on Friday April 29, 2022 at Florence & Normandy in Los Angeles, California

Smiley is proud to have hosts at KBLA Talk 1580 who look like its listeners and who strengthen their voices. “Our community is not a monolith, and there is a myriad of voices in the Black community, and all those voices deserve to be heard,” Smiley said

Smiley believes being progressive means wanting the same thing for your children that others have for theirs, like high-quality education, safe neighborhoods, equal pay for equal work, and living in areas where there are no toxic dumps. “I want to see America be as great of a nation as it has promised,” Smiley said.

“We challenge people to reevaluate the assumptions that they hold and help them expand their inventory of ideas. If we hold to that, we will have done a great service to the city and the nation.”

During the week, Smiley is on the airwaves with his own show, “Tavis Smiley.” He is backed by a weekday lineup of award-winning hosts like Dominique DiPrima and political commentator and comic DL Hughley.

KBLA Talk 1580’s weekend lineup of shows features familiar voices like Los Angeles hip hop icon YoYo, comedienne and talk show host Loni Love, and voice actress Angelique Perrin who co-hosts “Café Mocha” as well as civil rights attorney Areva Martin’s show, “Areva Martin Out Loud.” In addition, the Black Lives Matter (BLM) radio show, “This Is Not A Drill,” hosted by BLM/LA co-founder Dr. Melina Abdullah, has been a mainstay since the launch of the station.

Just recently, KBLA launched a two-hour national public affairs program, “A More Perfect Union,” hosted by journalist, educator, and KBLA Talk 1580 Chief National Political Analyst Dr. Nii-Quartelai Quartey

CoryMack

Superstar
Daps
Tavis Smiley Celebrates One-Year Anniversary of KBLA Talk 1580 in L.A.

Tavis Smiley greets guests at a recent influencers brunch at Blackbird House

July 20, 2022
After four years away from the media spotlight due to disputed allegations of misconduct against him, Tavis Smiley made a celebratory return to the airwaves last year as the owner of KBLA Talk 1580. The only Black-owned and operated talk radio station west of the Mississippi, KBLA commemorated its one-year anniversary on Juneteenth 2022.

“It was a rough four years out of media, and the toughest four years of my career,” said Smiley. “When you’ve been on the radio and television every day for decades, then overnight, over false allegations, you find [that you’re] defending yourself in the public arena.”

From the time he was 12-years-old, he says, he dedicated his life to making sure that the world was safe for Black people. He didn’t have a “plan b” when his public platform was snatched from beneath him. Smiley describes it as “four long tumultuous and tearful years of upheaval.”

Then, he remembers one night praying and considering his options. He says it occurred to him that if he was waiting on major television networks or radio stations to call and offer him a job, then that call wasn’t coming. Instead, Smiley knew if he was going to “make it back into the ring to fight for his people,” he would have to begin by fighting for himself

0c8306251a3adec1526d004dd1850d15.jpg

Smiley says he was encouraged by the words of his good friend and musical legend, Prince. He remembers Prince saying, “The next phase in your career has got to be about owning your own platform for distribution.” Sadly, Prince passed away before the PBS controversy, but Smiley says he continued to hear Prince’s words in his head

One day at 3 a.m., during the height of the racial reckoning surrounding the murder of George Floyd, Smiley says he realized that L.A. lacked a Black-owned talk radio station. He began writing notes, developing ideas, and implementing strategies that led to the launch of KBLA Talk 1580 on Juneteenth last year.

KBLA’s motto is “unapologetically progressive.” Explaining the meaning behind this motto, Smiley replied, “The problem with talk radio today is it’s all day, all night, and all White. So, we make no apologies about our mission, and we want to be bold about that.”

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA – APR 29: seen at KBLA 1580 am Radio Live from Florence & Normandy on The 30TH Anniversary of the LA Riots on Friday April 29, 2022 at Florence & Normandy in Los Angeles, California

Smiley is proud to have hosts at KBLA Talk 1580 who look like its listeners and who strengthen their voices. “Our community is not a monolith, and there is a myriad of voices in the Black community, and all those voices deserve to be heard,” Smiley said

Smiley believes being progressive means wanting the same thing for your children that others have for theirs, like high-quality education, safe neighborhoods, equal pay for equal work, and living in areas where there are no toxic dumps. “I want to see America be as great of a nation as it has promised,” Smiley said.

“We challenge people to reevaluate the assumptions that they hold and help them expand their inventory of ideas. If we hold to that, we will have done a great service to the city and the nation.”

During the week, Smiley is on the airwaves with his own show, “Tavis Smiley.” He is backed by a weekday lineup of award-winning hosts like Dominique DiPrima and political commentator and comic DL Hughley.

KBLA Talk 1580’s weekend lineup of shows features familiar voices like Los Angeles hip hop icon YoYo, comedienne and talk show host Loni Love, and voice actress Angelique Perrin who co-hosts “Café Mocha” as well as civil rights attorney Areva Martin’s show, “Areva Martin Out Loud.” In addition, the Black Lives Matter (BLM) radio show, “This Is Not A Drill,” hosted by BLM/LA co-founder Dr. Melina Abdullah, has been a mainstay since the launch of the station.

Just recently, KBLA launched a two-hour national public affairs program, “A More Perfect Union,” hosted by journalist, educator, and KBLA Talk 1580 Chief National Political Analyst Dr. Nii-Quartelai Quartey
I knew DL had a show but I didn’t know Tavis had a show on his own network. I just downloaded the app ima check him out.

I gotta say, I’m kinda surprised he isn’t talked about more on here considering his views line up with Roland’s and he’s pretty safe in his viewpoints. He’s a staunch democrat and an advocate of voting. I’m sure he was for the vaccine, and thinks all this FBA/ADOS talk is just uneducated foolishness.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I knew DL had a show but I didn’t know Tavis had a show on his own network. I just downloaded the app ima check him out.

I gotta say, I’m kinda surprised he isn’t talked about more on here considering his views line up with Roland’s and he’s pretty safe in his viewpoints. He’s a staunch democrat and an advocate of voting. I’m sure he was for the vaccine, and thinks all this FBA/ADOS talk is just uneducated foolishness.

There was a thread on his radio station a few years ago when he was setting the groundwork for his comeback and another when it first launched. He’s been talked about

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

I catch the podcast of his show every now and then. I meant to post this story as an update of the thread from last when he launched the new format of the station, but the board was buggy earlier.

Not sure what Tavis' personal views are about a lot of topics because I'm familiar with him for interviewing people. But as successful Black man of a certain age, he's seen and experienced enough to have a clear eyed practical take on issues.

George's Dilemma

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Funny seeing this thread on a Saturday, cuz listening to Tavis on the local NPR on a late Saturday afternoon while running errands was something I enjoyed. Glad he's back on his feet, even if that doesn't include a large platform. His comeback is example#654561465261351465 of why ownership is necessary.