Temporary Disability and Unemployment Benefits question

El_Mero_Mero

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
{Main question in bold}

If you are unable to work for a long time, or for the rest of your life, then you can be granted disability.

I am presently not in that situation, but I do have an issue that has rendered it "impossible" for me to be "available" for work for at least 3 weeks.

I am in New York City and receiving unemployment due to Covid-issues shutting down my job since March 2020. When you certify your Unemployment Benefits, they ask you to state whether you are "available" for work or not.
Things are different during a pandemic obviously, so they probably are not even as diligent about checking on whether you are actively applying for work (as you should be).

Currently, I am not "available". I never applied for Unemployment before this whole Covid thing, so I want to make sure that I do everything as legal and on the up-and-up as possible (I don't need those type of fraud problems).

My main question is, can you still certify for your weekly benefits if you have a temporary disability? Like, for example, if you were only going to be "disabled" for 1-3 weeks, it doesn't really make sense to go through the trouble of applying for disability. It wouldn't be worker's compensation either, if the injury didn't occur on the work-site or even on the way to/from work (since there hasn't been any work-site for me for some time).

I know that I may be overthinking it, and I'm still probably going to certify for the benefits during these 3 weeks anyway, but I just wanted to know the legalities and kind of "human-resources"-type responses to such a situation.

Thanks

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Any thoughts?

You're in a tough spot. If you say you're unavailable they'll probably dock you the days but idk. Maybe drop a post on reddit and see if there's anything on the state's website.

I found this to share earlier in the pandemic, it may have some relevant information but it hasn't been updated since 9/16/20

Also have you tried calling the hotline?

NkrumahWasRight Is Wrong

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Uncertain grounds
{Main question in bold}

If you are unable to work for a long time, or for the rest of your life, then you can be granted disability.

I am presently not in that situation, but I do have an issue that has rendered it "impossible" for me to be "available" for work for at least 3 weeks.

I am in New York City and receiving unemployment due to Covid-issues shutting down my job since March 2020. When you certify your Unemployment Benefits, they ask you to state whether you are "available" for work or not.
Things are different during a pandemic obviously, so they probably are not even as diligent about checking on whether you are actively applying for work (as you should be).

Currently, I am not "available". I never applied for Unemployment before this whole Covid thing, so I want to make sure that I do everything as legal and on the up-and-up as possible (I don't need those type of fraud problems).

My main question is, can you still certify for your weekly benefits if you have a temporary disability? Like, for example, if you were only going to be "disabled" for 1-3 weeks, it doesn't really make sense to go through the trouble of applying for disability. It wouldn't be worker's compensation either, if the injury didn't occur on the work-site or even on the way to/from work (since there hasn't been any work-site for me for some time).

I know that I may be overthinking it, and I'm still probably going to certify for the benefits during these 3 weeks anyway, but I just wanted to know the legalities and kind of "human-resources"-type responses to such a situation.

Thanks

yes you do

i said i was unable to work full time. during covid the governor suspended that requirement anyway..however..you can still say you are unavailable for full time work if you have a documented disability. i had to get numerous documents signed and faxed over and that lead to quite a delay in the process

if you are currently not considered disabled then file that you are able to work full time and certify each week until that is no longer the case

El_Mero_Mero

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
if you are currently not considered disabled then file that you are able to work full time and certify each week until that is no longer the case

88m3 and Russ, I appreciate the replies.

I will continue certifying. I don't plan on being disabled for too long, so I'm not even going to bother "documenting" it.

If a situation does arise, I'll deal with any repercussions that may arise. Plus, since it's not like it's a self diagnosed thing, and I have gone to the doctor twice over it, I know that I will at least have my doctor in my corner as well.

Thanks.