Tesla Energy is Getting Serious – A Battery Powered World?

hashmander

Hale End
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Arsenal
list them because i've done my own research and didn't like the options. i'm waiting for battery technology to get where it needs to be for my urban environment. i don't live in the sticks where i can have have wind turbines and some shytty bulky power storage setup. i need neat, attractive solutions: two or three batteries mounted to a garage wall, solar roof shingles, etc. tesla is going to get all my money.

KingSlime

All Star
Daps
There isn't enough lithium in the world to make this feasible

hashmander

Hale End
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Arsenal
There isn't enough lithium in the world to make this feasible
what amount of lithium would make this feasible? because there are 14m known tons in reserve and with these things there is usually more unknown out there. saltwater even has lithium in it.

Dr. Acula

ACCEPT JESUS
Supporter
Daps
There are so many potential ways to power a home 100% off the grid. Why aren't we exploring these options? Fukk your stupid batteries.
Like what?

You realize that solar panels and even wind power utilize batteries right? Energy isn't constantly consumed and instantly at the moment the energy is generated. So batteries are used to store the charge and energy for when it's being used. This is also needed when the sun isn't out or the wind isn't blowing.

Battery technology is the future honestly. If they are more efficient that means less energy is needed to generate equivalent amount of electricity than without it due to being able to harness a large amount of the energy generated and reducing losses.

KingSlime

All Star
Daps
what amount of lithium would make this feasible? because there are 14m known tons in reserve and with these things there is usually more unknown out there. saltwater even has lithium in it.
As it stands right now, tesla uses up 8,000 tons of lithium a year, and globally 35,000 tons are excavated per year. Just accounting for tesla, if they increase their gigafactory production so that there are around 100 of those in the next 50 years, they'd need 800,000 tons to keep it going. There are 13.5 million tons of lithium in reserve on this planet that we know of and if we divide that by the 800,000 that Tesla is projected to need, those reserves would only last around 17 years at that rate of consumption. And again this is only considering Tesla's use, there would undoubtedly be other producers with their own lithium needs.

morris

Superstar
Daps
Like what?

You realize that solar panels and even wind power utilize batteries right? Energy isn't constantly consumed and instantly at the moment the energy is generated. So batteries are used to store the charge and energy for when it's being used. This is also needed when the sun isn't out or the wind isn't blowing.

It's a very, very long shot but ball lightning.

Antiquity

All Star
Daps
There are so many potential ways to power a home 100% off the grid. Why aren't we exploring these options? Fukk your stupid batteries.

I agree. Nikola Tesla was the patron of Free Energy, he himself wouldnt've supported this. There are more sufficient "greener" ways to power a home.

KingSlime

All Star
Daps
Like what?

Battery technology is the future honestly. If they are more efficient that means less energy is needed to generate equivalent amount of electricity than without it due to being able to harness a large amount of the energy generated and reducing losses.
It has always baffled me how geothermal, thermal and tidal energy haven't been explored as options as much as solar/wind has. shyt, or thorium based nuclear energy. All are orders of magnitude more efficient and sustainable

el_oh_el

Bulls On Parade...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
It has always baffled me how geothermal, thermal and tidal energy haven't been explored as options as much as solar/wind has. shyt, or thorium based nuclear energy. All are orders of magnitude more efficient and sustainable
Geothermal energy seems to be impractical on a large scale. Tidal is expensive as fukk. Nuclear has too much politics surrounding it.

jerniebert

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, Ca
We have a tesla battery that was installed here at work a few years ago. That thing is still not working correctly. It hasn't worked right since they installed it. They need to stick to cars cause they have failed miserably outside of that. They even had to sell off the contract to STEM because they couldn't get our battery pack operating properly. They said they just manufacture them, but aren't experts in getting them to work properly.

Rout3r2035

Superstar
Daps
Their quality control has been non-existent. They have a ways to go before their continued existence is even a certainty, let alone branching off into other applications.

Dr. Acula

ACCEPT JESUS
Supporter
Daps
The problem with geotermal for example is I think an issue of efficiency and cost vs benefits. You're not generating enough usuable energy without using expensive systems. Same with the other two. Thorium from what I've read in the past is promising but I forget off hand what the limitations were for that one.

By the way, I wasn't able to watch the video yet but I saw someone bad talking batteries and my reflexes kicked in. Going to watch it when I'm at home. The most interesting thing about my major to me is the study of power and power systems so definitely want to check that out.