Tesla tells hundreds of its employees they're not good enough to work there

theworldismine13

God Emperor of SOHH
Daps
Reppin
Arrakis

Firing hundreds of workers all at once is rare, at least in the auto industry. But Tesla Inc. does things differently.

Word leaked out Friday that the electric car, battery and solar roof company had bulk-fired several hundred employees.

The San Jose Mercury News, which broke that story, said Tesla made clear that workers were dismissed for subpar performance, not laid off. Layoffs tend be blamed on business conditions or overstuffed payrolls, not on job performance.

It’s unclear how many of the company’s 33,000 workers were cut. Tesla won’t pinpoint the number. News reports put it between 400 and 1200.
How do you give an interview that will make you a memorable candidate in all the right ways?

View image on Twitter
DMNkaZGVQAAXi7_.jpg:small

Follow
Charlie @TSLAEE

Outside #Tsla showroom in Walnut Creek, CA. Looks like alot of people are upset, even customers#model3delayed #whyelon

A factory employee told the Mercury News that about 60 fellow workers were told to head for the exits. The company said, however, that most of those dismissed work in administrative and sales jobs.

Some workers at the Tesla plant have been trying to organize a union.

Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk is well known as a demanding boss with a hard-driving personality. Lately, while his rocket company SpaceX seems to be doing well, he has been plagued with serious problems at Tesla.

The new compact Model 3 sedan, crucial to Tesla’s success, is off to a bad start. By the end of the year, the company has said, the company’s auto factory in Fremont, Calif., is supposed to be turning out Model 3s at monthly rate of 20,000 vehicles. At last report, however, the company has built only 260 of them. The factory, Musk has said, is “deep in production hell.”

Follow
Charlie @TSLAEE

Well got laid off today at #tsla. Many others included we are all baffled and not being told why. #model3 #tesla

Firing large numbers of workers for bad performance by itself is not unprecedented. In the 1980s, General Electric CEO Jack Welch fired what the company deemed to be the bottom 10% of the executive workforce every year.

But those firings were staggered, based on clear objective measures, and the company discussed the process in detail with investors and with the media.

Thus far, Tesla has not said much at all.

The company reports third-quarter earnings in late October or early November — no specific date has been set. The firings won’t affect earnings for that quarter, which ended Sept. 30.

Depending on how quickly Tesla replaces the fired workers and whether most of those jobs are filled, the firings could have a positive effect on fourth-quarter and full-year earnings, lifting profit — or, more likely, easing losses — by a bit.

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
I remember hearing about this last week. I think it said the majority of them for sales jobs so I imagine they weren't hitting their targets.

Ialso think I remember them saying this was after reviews. Probably just good business. Sucks for the people who were laid off though.

Shogun

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Knicks
You have to be caught doing something criminal, or a literal bumbling fool to get fired from my job :ld:

Strapped

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
I want to see how china responds to electric cars in the next 4 years

delta

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I worked somewhere that annually fired the bottom 10% performers. Kept everybody on their toes.

if a major cooperation does this, it would be so stupid. all you would be encouraging is people fudging numbers (people find out which exact metric is being used to fire people, then fake it), which would look good for the Q4 stock report

:ohhh:oh thats why they do it

mr. smoke weed

Smoke Album Done......Wait n See #SmokeSquad
Resting in Peace
Daps
Reppin
Chi
I want to see how china responds to electric cars in the next 4 years
Just a FYI as I have direct knowledge of this. Many of Tesla's batteries and enclosure (home solar, commercial solar, cars) are outsourced to FOXCONN. Foxconn is a company that operates mainly out of........China! Crazy how it all ties up isn't it?

I know this because a company I used to work for had Foxconn came to my former employer and we made 20-30k of the home battery enclosures for them.