Tesla workers speak out: 'Anything pro-union is shut down really fast'

Ya' Cousin Cleon

OG COUCH CORNER HUSTLA
Daps
Reppin
Harvey World to Dallas, TX
Elon Musk has said he is ‘neutral’ about a union but former employees blame their firing on their efforts to organize while current workers say a ‘culture of fear’ persists

For two years Dezzimond Vaughn was a well-regarded worker at the Tesla factory in Lathrop, California. Then he became involved in trying to organize a union and suddenly his job was on the line.

“They started changing rules without any remorse,” Vaughn, a 31-year-old former Tesla computer-numeric-controlled (CNC) heavy machinery operator, told the Guardian. He cited a strict attendance policy Tesla implemented and backdated that deducted points from employees every time they clocked in late or were absent. “We started talking about forming a union, because they wouldn’t be able to do the things they’re doing, and they somehow found out I was having meetings at my house.”

Vaughn claims management began to try to push him out of employment once they found out he was helping to lead unionization efforts. “Throughout my last year, we kept bumping heads. I never stopped working, they never had a problem with me as far as the work, but I had a lot of complaints about me. My supervisor said they were trying to fire me.”

In October 2017, Vaughn received a phone call at home that he was being fired by Tesla due to two poor employee performance reviews in a row. He provided his separation agreement with Tesla, which cited “failure to meet performance expectations” as the sole reason for termination. Vaughn said his review scores were changed afterward to warrant his job termination, while the positive comments from his supervisor in the review remained.

Vaughn provided a copy of his employee file and his last two employee reviews. In the reviews, his supervisor calls Vaughn an employee who “does what’s right for the company as a whole” and “can always be counted on by team members to both show up (attendance) and get the job done”, yet his review scores are low rated. In previous employee reviews (January to June 2016, June 2015 to December 2015, and January 2015 to June 2015) before management discovered his role in unionization efforts, Vaughn received high scores, which resulted in promotions.

At Tesla, we strive to be a fair and just company, the only kind worth being. Performance reviews result in promotions and occasionally in employee departures,” said a Tesla spokesperson in an email. “No one at Tesla has ever or will ever have any action taken against them based on their feelings on unionization.”

The spokesperson said: “It’s worth remembering that each year, roughly 20,000 ULPs [unfair labor practice complaints] are filed with the NLRB [National Labor Relations Board] by unions like the UAW [United Auto Workers union] as an organizing tactic.”

Tesla and its billionaire owner, Elon Musk, have earned a reputation for union-busting efforts over the past few years. In February 2017, Musk accused a factory worker who outlined several issues within Tesla in a Medium blogpost of being a “union plant”. In an email, Musk also promised workers free frozen yogurt in a letter to employees that framed unionization efforts as an effort against Tesla by big car companies. The same month, Tesla employee Michael Sanchez alleged he was asked to leave the Tesla factory by security for handing out pro-union flyers outside to fellow employees.

Tesla workers speak out: 'Anything pro-union is shut down really fast'

the cac mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
unions in 2018 are a bloated disgrace :yeshrug: i don't blame them for wanting to unionize, but i dont blame them for resisting it. guess we'll see who wins

i cant imagine tesla pays like shyt though, does it? like i see why a fukkin walmart needs a union

Alan Johnson

Breakfast for dinner.
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
unions in 2018 are a bloated disgrace :yeshrug: i don't blame them for wanting to unionize, but i dont blame them for resisting it. guess we'll see who wins

i cant imagine tesla pays like shyt though, does it? like i see why a fukkin walmart needs a union
This isn't only about pay, but labor rights for tesla workers. They're currently under investigation for multiple workplace safety violations among other things.

Daps
Any company that isn’t pro-union and actively unions busts ain’t about shyt but filling the owners and shareholders pockets with as much money as possible. fukk the worker.

bnew

Veteran
Daps

'Your Turn': United Auto Workers Launches Campaign to Unionize Tesla​

After the UAW won contracts with the Big Three, it's seeking to unionize 150,000 workers across a dozen companies including Tesla.

By Jules Roscoe
November 29, 2023, 4:03pm

1701291757872-gettyimages-493893214.jpeg

VCG / CONTRIBUTOR VIA GETTY IMAGES

The United Auto Workers plans to unionize a dozen U.S. and foreign automakers, including Tesla Motors, in an organizing campaign encompassing “thousands” of workers, the union stated in an announcement on Wednesday. The campaign follows the UAW’s successful strike in its contract negotiations with Big Three automakers over the last months, in which workers won raises of up to 33 percent.

“To all the autoworkers out there working without the benefits of a union, now it’s your turn,” said UAW president Shawn Fain in a video released on Wednesday. “Go to uaw.org/join. The money is there. The time is right. And the answer is simple. You don’t have to live paycheck to paycheck. You don’t have to worry about how you’re going to pay your rent or feed your family while the company makes billions. A better life is out there.” The release stated that thousands of non-union workers were already signing union pledge cards on the website.

The companies that the union plans to organize include Mercedes Benz, Toyota, and Tesla, as well as other companies in the EV sector. After the UAW strike concluded, Toyota and other manufacturers raised their wages by around 10 percent, which Fain called the “UAW bump.”

Workers at Tesla in the U.S. are not unionized, though some facilities have made initial efforts towards organizing and faced retaliation for doing so. They had thus far not been affected by the strike.

However, Tesla repair technicians in Sweden went on strike earlier this month after Elon Musk refused to meet and bargain with their union. German automotive sectoral unions have also been working to unionize Tesla's gigafactory in the country, and won workers a four percent pay raise after holding informational events about unionization in the factory. Labor experts told Motherboard at the time that the surge of Tesla labor organizing in Europe, combined with the UAW’s success in the U.S., could open doorways for U.S. Tesla workers to organize.

Do you work at Tesla? Do you know more about this union drive? We’d love to hear from you. From a non-work device, you can contact Jules Roscoe at jules.roscoe@vice.com or on Signal at (415) 763-7705 for more security.

“Unions are organized on an international level,” said Branislav Rugani, the international confederal secretary for French trade union Force Ouvrière, in a phone call to Motherboard at the time. “They talk amongst themselves. When they return to their respective countries, they organize on a local level.”

The UAW’s drive is expected to cover almost 150,000 auto workers across “at least thirteen” companies, the union’s press release stated. It named as targets the German automakers Volkswagen, Mercedes, and BMW; the Asian automakers Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Hyundai, Subaru, and Mazda; and the EV automakers Tesla, Rivian, and Lucid.

bnew

Veteran
Daps

Tesla Shipments to Sweden Are Under Threat Across the Nordics

• Danish workers refuse to transport company’s EVs to Sweden
  • Elon Musk has described the labor dispute as ‘insane’

A banner from IF Metall union reading "We Demand a Collective Agreement" during a labor protest outside the Tesla Inc. service center in Segeltorp, Sweden, on Dec. 5.

A banner from IF Metall union reading "We Demand a Collective Agreement" during a labor protest outside the Tesla Inc. service center in Segeltorp, Sweden, on Dec. 5.Photographer: Erik Flyg/Bloomberg

By Christian Wienberg and Jonas Ekblom
December 5, 2023 at 3:15 AM EST
Updated on
December 5, 2023 at 6:59 AM EST

Tesla Inc.’s deliveries to Sweden are at risk of being blocked from across the Nordic region after unions asked their neighboring peers to bolster their weeks-long strike.

Harbor workers and drivers at the Danish union 3F will stop offloading and transporting Tesla cars to Sweden in about two weeks, according to a statement issued Tuesday. This will prevent Tesla from circumventing a blockade by Swedish dockworkers who’ve halted shipments by sea.

Tesla Inc. Labor Dispute in Sweden

A banner from IF Metall union reading “We Demand a Collective Agreement” outside the Tesla Inc. service center in Segeltorp, Sweden, on Dec. 5.Photographer: Erik Flyg/Bloomberg

In Finland, the Transport Workers’ Union will meet on Thursday to decide how it will respond to Swedish unions asking Nordic peers to join in sympathy actions, a spokeswoman said by phone. Norway’s United Federation of Trade Unions is monitoring the situation, spokesman John Trygve Tollefsen said.

Tesla has for more than a month been locked in a dispute with Swedish labor groups after the carmaker repeatedly refused to sign a collective bargaining agreement with the union IF Metall. The strike has spread through sympathy actions, stopping the delivery of mail to Tesla as well as trash pickups. Chief Executive Officer Elon Musk has called the Swedish labor action “insane.”

“Even if you are one of the richest people in the world, you can’t just make your own rules,” Jan Villadsen, the chairman of the 3F union’s transport division, said in the statement. “We have some agreements on the labor market in the Nordics, and you have to comply with them if you want to do business here.”

Read More: How Musk’s Anti-Union Stance Faces Test in Sweden: QuickTake

Sweden is Tesla’s fifth-biggest European market, and signing any agreement with the Swedish unions would set a precedent for the company. Tesla has vehemently opposed unionization efforts in other countries where it operates. Yet collective bargaining agreements are standard practice in Sweden, covering around 90% of all working Swedes.

Tesla's Imports to Sweden Jump​

Carmaker will roughly double shipments this year

K20192020202120222023 YTD

Source: Mobility Sweden

Note: 2023 data is for January through November

Tesla has been fighting back in Sweden, filing two lawsuits to limit the conflict’s impact after the delivery of license plates to its new vehicles stopped. In the first, it won a temporary injunction granting it the right to take delivery of license plates directly from the transport agency’s supplier.

In the second case, a Swedish court is expected to rule on an injunction this week on whether the postal service needs to deliver the plates that are currently stuck in the post.

IF Metall sent an official request for sympathy action to Nordic transport unions last week, after extensive discussions by the Swedish Transport Workers’ Union with counterparts across the region, spokeswoman Elin Lornbo said by phone on Tuesday.

“We have a very deep relationship with them and encouraged them to initiate blockades at ports in their respective countries since it is an effective and permitted form of sympathy action,” she said.

Should all the Nordic transport unions join the blockade, the main route open to Tesla for imports would be by truck from Germany. That’s at least a five-hour drive, one way, with each truck able to transport a handful vehicles.

Sympathy action by trade unions is an accepted part of the Scandinavian labor market, and cross-border strikes are not unheard of. In 2015, Sweden-based pilots joined a walk-out of Norwegian Air Shuttle ASA’s Norway-based pilots.

“Solidarity is the cornerstone of the trade union movement and extends across national borders,” Villadsen from the Danish union said. “The Swedish workers are currently fighting an incredibly important battle.”

— With assistance from Craig Trudell

(Updates with potential Nordic action throughout.)