The 28th Virginia battle flag

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Has anyone heard of the ongoing story of the captured battle flag of the 28th Virginia army during the civil war?

28th_Virginia_Infantry_Color.jpg

colors-valors-28th-virginia-battle-flag-minnesota.jpeg

During the Battle of Gettysburg, the 28th Virginia infantry fought against the 1st Minnesota Infantry regiment. The Minnesota boys captured the flag, & Virginia has been begging them for to return it ever since then.

Even after a 1905 congressional resolution stating that captured Civil War flags should be returned to their origin, Minnesota still wouldn’t budge.

When Jesse Ventura was governor of Minnesota & VA asked for it back, he said "Why? I mean, we won" and that “We took it, that makes it our heritage.”

I believe the last time VA asked for it was 2013..this time they said they wanted to borrow it, & Minnesota told them to kick rocks :russ:

very interesting read whenever you have the time

28th Virginia battle flag - Wikipedia

28th Virginia battle flag

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/WPcap/2000-02/09/080r-020900-idx.html

saturn7

Politics is an EXCHANGE!!!
Daps
Reppin
DMV Freedman
Has anyone heard of the ongoing story of the captured battle flag of the 28th Virginia army during the civil war?

During the Battle of Gettysburg, the 28th Virginia infantry fought against the 1st Minnesota Infantry regiment. The Minnesota boys captured the flag, & Virginia has been begging them for to return it ever since then.

Even after a 1905 congressional resolution stating that captured Civil War flags should be returned to their origin, Minnesota still wouldn’t budge.

When Jesse Ventura was governor of Minnesota & VA asked for it back, he said "Why? I mean, we won" and that “We took it, that makes it our heritage.”

I believe the last time VA asked for it was 2013..this time they said they wanted to borrow it,
& Minnesota told them to kick rocks :russ:

very interesting read whenever you have the time

28th Virginia battle flag - Wikipedia

28th Virginia battle flag

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/WPcap/2000-02/09/080r-020900-idx.html

:deadmanny:

"Let us hold it right quick. We'll give it back, promise...'