The 50 Best Atlanta Rap Songs

mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Underdeveloped Minds Research Institute
i9gwom2cmhexgsvfj6fx.jpg

Inferior lyricism. Unsophisticated beats. That shyt is just too damn slow.

Hard as it is for anyone under 25 to believe, there was a time when Atlanta rap was the red-headed stepchild of hip-hop. New York's rap purists will look down their noses at anything, but they reserved particular scorn for rap from the South, and rap from the ATL in particular.

It's 2015, though, and the A's status as one of the capitals of hip-hop was confirmed long ago (depending on which year you're talking about, it might be the capital of hip-hop). It's like that now—you better go on and get the hump up out your back now. Atlanta is arguably the most layered music community in hip-hop. It cranks out at least three new stars every year. The producers create a new sound every other season. A new dance pops up every summer. If hip-hop's early days were informed by New York, and its '90s heyday involved a vacation to Cali, for the past 10 years it's been influenced more by the capital of Georgia than any other place in the world.

Atlanta's rap community engenders a fierce pride, and it's a scene that's both insular and accepting. Where one song may be a hit on the radio, there's another song that's even bigger in the club. Where an artist may be known in industry circles, there's also an underground champion with just as much—sometimes even more—clout.

This list could've easily been 100 songs; hell, it could've been 200. But we had to draw the line somewhere. So, from J.D. to T.I., from Bonecrusher to Kilo Ali, this is just the cream of the north Georgia crop. From Bankhead to College Park to Zone 4, these are the 50 Best Atlanta Rap Songs.

Maurice Garland is a writer living in Atlanta. Follow him @Maurice_Garland.

http://www.complex.com/music/2015/06/the-50-best-atlanta-rap-songs/

L. Deezy

Veteran
Daps
lol.. list just exposes all the 1 Hit wonders and people who's career didnt last over 1 year...

Bu, Bu, Bu..But NY flabby:troll:

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness
*sigh*

I tried to click on it, and it wouldn't load.
So I just need whoever gets this to load to tell me if these aren't there so I can be mad.

- Kilo Ali - "Love In Your Mouth" AT LEAST. He could have 3 on here.
- Raheem The Dream - "Most Beautiful Girl In The World"
- "Bankhead Bounce"
- A-Town Players - "Whassup Whassup"
- KP & Envyi - "Swing My Way"
- Miracle - "Bounce" (okay i'm bullchittin' with this one, but this is a terrible classic.)

desp

SO MUCH FUN
Daps
*sees Complex link*
*waits for someone to make a list*
at least 25 ought to be Dungeon Family affiliated.
Complex still trash but they don't have that same layout anymore, everything is on the same page now.

desp

SO MUCH FUN
Daps
*sigh*

I tried to click on it, and it wouldn't load.
So I just need whoever gets this to load to tell me if these aren't there so I can be mad.

- Kilo Ali - "Love In Your Mouth" AT LEAST. He could have 3 on here.
- Raheem The Dream - "Most Beautiful Girl In The World"
- "Bankhead Bounce"
- A-Town Players - "Whassup Whassup"
- KP & Envyi - "Swing My Way"
- Miracle - "Bounce" (okay i'm bullchittin' with this one, but this is a terrible classic.)
Every one of those except Bounce is on there breh

Monoblock

Smoooth
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Trinidad James All Gold Everything over Outkast Ms. Jackson................................................................................................................................